British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

PWA 1967

1954 Florin

Not my thing but just taken it out of a cardboard year set ,pity there was not a penny in ;)

Looks UNC and lustrous to me (although i dont know about them) and if your not happy just send it back and i will pay return postage.

I didnt even realise the 1954 Florin had a premium untill i have just looked at the price for them :)

£28 Posted.

Pete.

I would prefer to wipe my arse with a kipper...sorry bud...but that doesn't do my coin buzz.

I dont know what your sorry for.

Its just as easy for me to put in a bag with all the others and send to a dealer who will take everything.

However i thought somebody may want one :)

11 minutes ago, Peter said:

I would prefer to wipe my arse with a kipper...sorry bud...but that doesn't do my coin buzz.

Remember to take the bones out first:o

As Peter has rightly said its not worth putting in an envelope and will just pass it on :)

Pete.

Well its certainly rarer than a 1953

6 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

As Peter has rightly said its not worth putting in an envelope and will just pass it on :)

Pete.

pass the 10p

2 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Well its certainly rarer than a 1953

pass the 10p

:D

I dont have a clue about them as i mentioned but looking at what they sell for was surprised.

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

:D

I dont have a clue about them as i mentioned but looking at what they sell for was surprised.

I think you mean you are surprised at the prices people try to sell the coin for

What people want and what they get are two different things

17 minutes ago, copper123 said:

I think you mean you are surprised at the prices people try to sell the coin for

What people want and what they get are two different things

i looked on a dealers list who i speak to and keep the lists for prices,if something was on i.e. Jan list but not Feb i assume its sold.

He has them at £35

I thought mine was UNC so £25 + £3 postage.......was i way off :)

Edited by PWA 1967

1 hour ago, PWA 1967 said:

i looked on a dealers list who i speak to and keep the lists for prices,if something was on i.e. Jan list but not Feb i assume its sold.

He has them at £35

I thought mine was UNC so £25 + £3 postage.......was i way off :)

Well while its true these coins sell , its also true you will really struggle to get a dealer to take one off your hands , in fact I would think these are less than 10 dealers in the whole country that would give you more that £10 for it , they often stick in dealers trays for years .

Dealers hate coins under 100 years old - they sold in the seventies but not now , in fact an unc 1954 florin is prob worth the same as it was 40 years ago

I would imagine the only certain way to get rid of it would be to sell it in a "Lot" with other coins

The dealer will have it believe me as i send him coins of all types almost every month or two......Like a "lot" as you mention.

I wasnt just going to send him the one 1954 Florin :D

Like i mentioned he takes the good and the bad and often as we are talking £100 s  the odd £10 does not really matter either way.

I only really put it on here out of boredom and giving me something to do ,it certainly was not because i needed the £25.

You mention them hating coins less than a hundred years old well...................

I bet almost every milled denomination collector has coins dated from 1918/1953 and is were most milled collectors start.

Yes they are cheap and cheerfull but new collectors seem to buy them all the time :)

Like Peter you may have moved on or not what your collecting interest is so you dont even need to look at them ?.

Dealers maybe buy what buyers want and not what they want......if you understand me :D

Edited by PWA 1967

Picture?

1 minute ago, Peckris said:

Picture?

Thats another good reason for passing them on Peck you dont have to look at my crap pictures :D

Easier to just put them in a bag for me and get rid of them in one go rather than taking pictures and posting individually.

As mentioned in earlier posts there are loads of them although it was a good one :).

I have been wrapping pennies up today ( most sold without pictures although i am happy for them to return any) to post to forum members in the morning and just put that in with the ones going to a dealer.

Pete.

23 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thats another good reason for passing them on Peck you dont have to look at my crap pictures :D

If it's UNC it's pretty scarce and I'd be interested.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1954-Florin-Two-Shillings-Lustrous-Choice-UNC-Rare-thus-British-Elizabeth-11/332608994455?hash=item4d710a7c97:g:T9AAAOSwve1aw98C

Its gone now Peck although i think it was better than this one thats just been listed ,wish i could look at it to compare for you.

Interesting reading the description as John also seems to think they are worth £25.

Pete.

4 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1954-Florin-Two-Shillings-Lustrous-Choice-UNC-Rare-thus-British-Elizabeth-11/332608994455?hash=item4d710a7c97:g:T9AAAOSwve1aw98C

Its gone now Peck although i think it was better than this one thats just been listed ,wish i could look at it to compare for you.

Interesting reading the description as John also seems to think they are worth £25.

That's a shame. :( Yes, I would have been interested as I don't have an example of one of the rarer Elizabeth II florins (1954, 1957/58/59). I would say £25 is conservative; scarce UNC 50s florins and halfcrowns were massively hyped in the late 60s, but florins continued to circulate until 1992 so the scarce UNC dates are indeed rarer than the equivalent halfcrowns, and now their values are AT LEAST 50% higher than the halfcrowns. The main reason for the rarity is that no-one collected the early years of CuNi as there was no silver content, unlike Geo VI which were put aside in large quantities, especially after the metal change was announced postwar; this is why 1944-46 are so common in BU.

If you've got similar 1950s florins, let me know the dates and I might be interested!

• Like 1

On 4/7/2018 at 10:08 AM, Peckris said:

That's a shame. :( Yes, I would have been interested as I don't have an example of one of the rarer Elizabeth II florins (1954, 1957/58/59). I would say £25 is conservative; scarce UNC 50s florins and halfcrowns were massively hyped in the late 60s, but florins continued to circulate until 1992 so the scarce UNC dates are indeed rarer than the equivalent halfcrowns, and now their values are AT LEAST 50% higher than the halfcrowns. The main reason for the rarity is that no-one collected the early years of CuNi as there was no silver content, unlike Geo VI which were put aside in large quantities, especially after the metal change was announced postwar; this is why 1944-46 are so common in BU.

If you've got similar 1950s florins, let me know the dates and I might be interested!

PM sent Peck...... i have got a 1956 ,57,58 & 59 and just need your address , just pay me what they are worth to you.

I did send the message yesterday but you dont appear to have read it.

If your not happy with them just throw them in the bin :)

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

7 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

If your not happy with them just throw them in the bin post them to Kev :)

Pete.

Fixed that for you Pete :)

• Like 1

I've been tracking these florins for a few years, although not very closely, having sold several nice examples along with halfcrowns on ebay a few years ago. A 1954 florin in true UNC is desirable (many times rarer than the 1954 halfcrown in UNC) and I believe there are collectors out there who want them.

Unfortunately, for me, the example from ebay above is just not even close to being UNC enough! In my experience, they are quite common in that type of grade but elusive with mint lustre and without bag marks or traces of verdigris under close inspection - perhaps one day soon a hoard of them will turn up and change that. 

I find that with more recent coinage, you have to be increasingly OCD to put together a special collection as the margins in terms of grade between finding a fairly common coin and a rare coin of the same denomination are so small.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, youliveyoulean said:

I've been tracking these florins for a few years, although not very closely, having sold several nice examples along with halfcrowns on ebay a few years ago. A 1954 florin in true UNC is desirable (many times rarer than the 1954 halfcrown in UNC) and I believe there are collectors out there who want them.

Unfortunately, for me, the example from ebay above is just not even close to being UNC enough! In my experience, they are quite common in that type of grade but elusive with mint lustre and without bag marks or traces of verdigris under close inspection - perhaps one day soon a hoard of them will turn up and change that. 

I find that with more recent coinage, you have to be increasingly OCD to put together a special collection as the margins in terms of grade between finding a fairly common coin and a rare coin of the same denomination are so small.

Yes it was more the prices on a list which surprised me as i did not have a clue , then seeing others being sold.

If mine are better than the example i used i might have to charge even more :D

One dealer has them at £69.95 :o which seem more like ask what they want.

They were in sets 1947 ,48,54,56,57,58 & 59 that i know had been put away and if they were Rang i would not of bought them or even dreamt of putting one on here,the pennies and Bronze were BU in other years and think the florins are ok also.

As a forum member knows they came with quite a large nice penny collection a few months ago . as asked him if there was anything i should look for in the sets as i didnt have a clue.......although niether did he :P

All good fun and i have learned someting else.

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

19 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

PM sent Peck...... i have got a 1956 ,57,58 & 59 and just need your address , just pay me what they are worth to you.

I did send the message yesterday but you dont appear to have read it.

If your not happy with them just throw them in the bin :)

Pete.

Sorry, I wasn't well yesterday. Have now replied. :)

On 4/5/2018 at 9:30 PM, PWA 1967 said:

The dealer will have it believe me as i send him coins of all types almost every month or two......Like a "lot" as you mention.

I wasnt just going to send him the one 1954 Florin :D

Like i mentioned he takes the good and the bad and often as we are talking £100 s  the odd £10 does not really matter either way.

I only really put it on here out of boredom and giving me something to do ,it certainly was not because i needed the £25.

You mention them hating coins less than a hundred years old well...................

I bet almost every milled denomination collector has coins dated from 1918/1953 and is were most milled collectors start.

Yes they are cheap and cheerfull but new collectors seem to buy them all the time :)

Like Peter you may have moved on or not what your collecting interest is so you dont even need to look at them ?.

Dealers maybe buy what buyers want and not what they want......if you understand me :D

To be honest, I'm not sure that's true. At any rate not for all coins under 100 years old. Certainly a 1954 two shillings in UNC condition will always have a market amongst beginner collectors starting on that denomination. Let's also not forget the rare 1932 florin. Others that come to mind are the 1926 ME and the 1919KN penny in outstanding condition - and who can ever forget the 1934 crown (hardly ever available) and the 1945 silver threepence.    

• Like 1

23 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Yes it was more the prices on a list which surprised me as i did not have a clue , then seeing others being sold.

If mine are better than the example i used i might have to charge even more :D

One dealer has them at £69.95 :o which seem more like ask what they want.

They were in sets 1947 ,48,54,56,57,58 & 59 that i know had been put away and if they were Rang i would not of bought them or even dreamt of putting one on here,the pennies and Bronze were BU in other years and think the florins are ok also.

As a forum member knows they came with quite a large nice penny collection a few months ago . as asked him if there was anything i should look for in the sets as i didnt have a clue.......although niether did he :P

All good fun and i have learned someting else.

Pete.

I saw one on the bay in the sold section think it was a BIN £44  1954 Florin