British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

PWA 1967

1954 Florin

I dont know why you quoted me Mike :)

Its not just the expensive ones ,plenty collectors prefer to spend there money on other things and we all buy the common coins at sometime.

The dealers who hate them are probably the same people who moan they are not selling anything ,carrying just the expensive ones round hoping to sell one.

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

To be honest, I'm not sure that's true. At any rate not for all coins under 100 years old. Certainly a 1954 two shillings in UNC condition will always have a market amongst beginner collectors starting on that denomination. Let's also not forget the rare 1932 florin. Others that come to mind are the 1926 ME and the 1919KN penny in outstanding condition - and who can ever forget the 1934 crown (hardly ever available) and the 1945 silver threepence.    

And let's not forget that 50 years on, the 'scarcity myths' prevalent at the height of modern coin fever of the late 60s, still prevail to some extent! I offer you the 1923 sixpence, 1946 halfpenny (BU), 1958 brass 3d (BU), all 1926 halfcrowns, 1965S shilling, and many more. The price guide compilers, and the dealers who feed them, still apply a premium even though since the Great Melt many of the 'scarcities' are far less scarce in relation to their peers than they were back then.

• Like 1

Your right they weren't as scarce as they seemed at the time, probable caused by hording, but now as they all come back out of the closet there's no great shortage

• Like 1

On 10/04/2018 at 8:45 AM, 1949threepence said:

To be honest, I'm not sure that's true. At any rate not for all coins under 100 years old. Certainly a 1954 two shillings in UNC condition will always have a market amongst beginner collectors starting on that denomination. Let's also not forget the rare 1932 florin. Others that come to mind are the 1926 ME and the 1919KN penny in outstanding condition - and who can ever forget the 1934 crown (hardly ever available) and the 1945 silver threepence.    

Well I am not sure you really understood what I said - it was that many dealers are not interested in lets say non antique coins .

I never said a 1933 penny will not ever sell because its dated 1933 , or that a 1945 silver threepence is not interesting

What I really ment was that when offered coins (even in the highest of grades ) many dealers are not really interested , I am not knocking these coins for the sake of it I have a type set of george VI and elizabeth pre decimals as well just to prove I don't hate modern coins .

2 minutes ago, copper123 said:

What I really ment was that when offered coins (even in the highest of grades ) many dealers are not really interested , I am not knocking these coins for the sake of it I have a type set of george VI and elizabeth pre decimals as well just to prove I don't hate modern coins .

You may find that those dealers (or their immediate forebears) got badly burned in the "investment crash" in the values of post-Edward VII coins - especially Geo VI and Liz II - that occurred after decimalisation. That would have put some out of business, and certainly it would have generated an attitude that 'modern is rubbish'. However, young collectors  these days trying to put together a BU set of pennies 1961-67 may find they are less easy to come by and so they will have the effect of pushing prices up, even if (elderly) dealers won't touch them with a bargepole.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Well I am not sure you really understood what I said - it was that many dealers are not interested in lets say non antique coins .

I never said a 1933 penny will not ever sell because its dated 1933 , or that a 1945 silver threepence is not interesting

Well to be fair you said:-

Dealers hate coins under 100 years old - they sold in the seventies but not now , in fact an unc 1954 florin is prob worth the same as it was 40 years ago

That's a blanket statement covering all coins under 100 years old, which is obviously no the case. But now you've clarified, I'd agree with what you are saying as far as the vast majority of coins >100 years old are concerned. . 

• Like 1

I bought Pete's 1957/58/59 florins - I'm very happy with them. We did a good deal, favourable to both parties. :) The 1956 will be of equal quality if anyone's interested...

I think with older collectors like myself seeing so many coins for sale a certain distain for them appears

What collector of my age does not say to themselves "My god not another churchill crown " things might have been different if the mintage was say 500 000 but theres one on every flea markets stall for sale at a £5

Bah, humbug, I am turning into scrooge

51 minutes ago, copper123 said:

I think with older collectors like myself seeing so many coins for sale a certain distain for them appears

What collector of my age does not say to themselves "My god not another churchill crown " things might have been different if the mintage was say 500 000 but theres one on every flea markets stall for sale at a £5

I have so many of the darn things I put them out at 50p each - at least it can attract new collectors that way, and if it p***s off some of the greedy stall holders a bit, so be it!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, copper123 said:

1977 crowns too - though at least their saving grace was the good design.

• Like 1

I was talking to a dealer who bags the chrurchies and pays them into his bank. The local post office have yet to confirm if they'll take them for payment at face value (and any others).

Royalmail says it will but is branch specific.

Worth a thought I guess if you need to offload a few hundred.

4 hours ago, Peckris said:

1977 crowns too - though at least their saving grace was the good design.

Agreed, it's one of the better ones and looks nice in the silver proof.

I tend to give the normal ones away to peopel I trade mordern coins with - it might inspire further collecting one day :)

2 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Agreed, it's one of the better ones and looks nice in the silver proof.

I tend to give the normal ones away to peopel I trade mordern coins with - it might inspire further collecting one day :)

That's a good idea actually might help me shift those obligatory tubes of 1967 pennies :)