British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
copper123

Another fairy story for the mail

Breeding like... rabbits

Image copyright Alamy Image caption Fifteen bunnies later, Mrs Toft began to regret her passionate evening with Peter Rabbit

Unlikely as it sounds, in the 18th Century a woman called Mary Toft convinced doctors she had given birth to rabbits. Yes, doctors. And yes, rabbits.

Mrs Toft, a servant from Godalming in Surrey, surprised her family by going into labour. Even more surprisingly, she produced something resembling a kitten.

Her explanation was rooted in the long-discredited theory of "maternal impression" - caused by being startled by a rabbit in a field in 1726 . From that moment, she said, she dreamed about, and had a "constant and strong desire" to eat, rabbits.

An obstetrician named John Howard, who seems to have been less than rigorous with his examinations, was convinced by her story. He wrote to some of England's greatest doctors and King George I, informing them of the miraculous births - including the momentous occasion when his patient produced nine dead bunnies.

The King sent his doctor to investigate. The medic, who arrived when Mrs Toft was in labour with her 15th rabbit, was certain she was genuine - and took some of her offspring back to London to show the monarch and Prince of Wales.

A surgeon was then sent by the royal household to have a look. The surgeon, apparently more sensible than the others, examined the rabbits and found that dung inside one of them contained corn - proving it could not have developed inside Mrs Toft's womb.

Meanwhile, Mrs Toft was busy giving birth to other unusual things, including a cat's legs and a hog's bladder.

Medical opinion was divided - until a man was caught sneaking a rabbit into Mrs Toft's room.

She was eventually forced to admit she had manually inserted the dead rabbits (OMG)and then allowed them to be removed as if she were giving birth.

The hoaxer was later charged with fraud and imprisoned. She spent a few months in prison (presumably there is a law against giving birth to rabbits) then returned to relative obscurity, (or more more likely a field.)

As for the King's doctor - he met an unhappy end after being convinced by the scam. He published a pamphlet called A Short Narrative of an Extraordinary Delivery of Rabbets but after the ruse was exposed, he lost favour with the court (Due to bad spelling?)and died a pauper.

Edited by copper123
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

pic

mary.jpg

A great easter pic

Edited by copper123

From wiki....

link

Not much has changed in the past 300 years. There's still no shortage of people who somehow failed to learn to read and write and live out fanciful lives.

• Like 1

April 1st

doh.jpg

3 hours ago, Rob said:

Not much has changed in the past 300 years. There's still no shortage of people who somehow failed to learn to read and write and live out fanciful lives.

Yes you only have to watch TOWIE

Or not watch if you have any taste

2 minutes ago, copper123 said:

Yes you only have to watch TOWIE

Or not watch if you have any taste

Never heard of it.

44 minutes ago, Rob said:

Never heard of it.

It's an acronym. :) (Know any girls called Sharon or Tracy?)

FAT SLAGS?

san.jpg

Edited by copper123

2 hours ago, Peckris said:

It's an acronym. :) (Know any girls called Sharon or Tracy?)

I don't know any girls called Sharon or Tracy, however, I have extended my knowledge.

According to Google, TOWIE is 'The only way is Essex' and Sharon or/and Tracy comes up with 'Birds of a Feather'. It appears both are from Essex. Same cast? Sorry, couldn't be a***d to find out. 

30 years ago, a past encounter with a customer's son who was 10 years old at the time and lived in Essex elicited the statement 'cor, you dun arf tawk fanny mite'. I recognised 'You', even if the rest was in a foreign language. There was a definite inability to compose a coherent sentence, just as I noticed on ITV's 'The Chase' the other day. The presenter asked the contestant 'If you was to win some money, what would you do with it?' My immediate thought was to buy him a copy of 'English for Dummies'.

Viz's Fat Slags I do recognise. :)

Sharon and Tracy are generic 'Essex girl' names, though I'm sure Birds Of A Feather was representative!

I suppose  some shows defy acronyms: GOT, FT, DA, unlike HIGNFY.

14 hours ago, Rob said:

I don't know any girls called Sharon or Tracy, however, I have extended my knowledge.

According to Google, TOWIE is 'The only way is Essex' and Sharon or/and Tracy comes up with 'Birds of a Feather'. It appears both are from Essex. Same cast? Sorry, couldn't be a***d to find out. 

30 years ago, a past encounter with a customer's son who was 10 years old at the time and lived in Essex elicited the statement 'cor, you dun arf tawk fanny mite'. I recognised 'You', even if the rest was in a foreign language. There was a definite inability to compose a coherent sentence, just as I noticed on ITV's 'The Chase' the other day. The presenter asked the contestant 'If you was to win some money, what would you do with it?' My immediate thought was to buy him a copy of 'English for Dummies'.

Viz's Fat Slags I do recognise. :)

Although at least one can easily discern every word Bradley Walsh says, unlike some accents in the UK.    

I watched that episode and you just cannot help but laugh and being the professional that he is it must of been a nightmare to try and keep it together. Great show shame most of the contestants are Divs. But it's easy sitting in a chair shouting the answers at the tv. I think it would be nerve racking being there

• Like 1

In the late 80's I worked in two nightclubs in Romfud and Sarfend.

I'm still scarred by the 'was/were' confusion most of the clientele exhibited.

This was before 'fink' and 'innit' appeared, mercifully......