British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Descartes

Recent Hammered Acquisitions

I bought 2 Charles 1st shillings at a coin fair from a £2 box. They are clipped and well worn, but still. I did check that the guy knew they were 500 year old shillings and he said he just wanted rid of them as they were beat up. I am sure I got a bargain. £4.00 for 2 Charles 1st shillings. I was very happy. Got a William and Mary half penny for £1 too, worn but nice portrait and readable date - I don't currently have one so that was nice too.

• Like 1

bought these pennies that were found detecting. 2 Elizabeth 1st pennies - face is scratched on one. Not sure what the other is as it is a bit mangled, maybe Scottish going by the stars? I have a half cut Scottish penny with stars on it which makes me think it might be Scottish, the cut one is William I think. 

lizpennies.jpg

lizpennies2.jpg

scot penny2.jpg

scotpenny.jpg

On 26/05/2018 at 2:14 AM, Stevo said:

Recently purchased this coin in Australia and was thinking about getting it slabbed because it looks

to be in reasonable condition for its age but I'm not sure of its value ,Any information would be helpful thank you

The weight is 2.8 grams with a diameter of 26mm

1593bb.jpg

1593 ab.jpg

I’d agree around the £150 mark - don’t kill it with plastic, it’s still breathing life and history at the moment!

On 26/05/2018 at 4:51 PM, davidrj said:

What method do you use?

I only have one slabbed coin, didn’t notice was slabbed when I bought it off eBay. Very nervous I might damage a high quality scarce coin from a bumbled effort.

Get the slab on a hard surface and one firm but not hard hammer blow to the top of the slab will usually crack it enough for you to safely remove the coin. I don't mind slabs at all but have had to remove a few that have had a spot of verd develop post slabbing.

On 25/06/2018 at 0:49 AM, Coinery said:

don’t kill it with plastic, it’s still breathing life and history at the moment!

I agree. I really don't get sealing coins in slabs, and the holding tabs which cover part of the coin's rim detract from its beauty, especially if it has an edge inscription.

Just protect the coin in a Lighthouse capsule and then take it out and handle it occasionally; unless it is proof or has lustre that may be damaged by handling it will not come to any harm.

Edited by Coys55

Well both my major purchases at DNW were hammered.

Edward the Elder Penny to fill that gap in my sequence of Wessex monarchs:

Edward Elder Penny 1 Red.JPG

Edward Elder Penny 2 Red.JPG

• Like 3

... and the tickets that came with it as I know some of you love these:

Edward Elder tickets 1 Red.JPG

Edward Elder tickets 2 Red.JPG

The other one was this Henry II Northampton Penny as an upgrade:

Henry II Penny S1344 1 Red.JPG

Henry II Penny S1344 2 Red.JPG

• Like 3

... and the tickets:

Henry II Penny S1344 ticket 1 Red.JPG

Henry II Penny S1344 ticket 2 Red.JPG

16 minutes ago, Paddy said:

... and the tickets:

Henry II Penny S1344 ticket 1 Red.JPG

Henry II Penny S1344 ticket 2 Red.JPG

Add that ticket to the tickets thread - Ray Inder :)

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

... and the tickets that came with it as I know some of you love these:

Edward Elder tickets 1 Red.JPG

Edward Elder tickets 2 Red.JPG

Of course we like tickets, because they contain useful info.

The new one is obviously Ray's, but the other is difficult to place. This coin was bought at the Lockett sale by Spink who listed it in the Circular for Dec 1955 item RCL72, VF, £5/15/-, so the 60/- price on the ticket would imply that it was close to that date if it post-dates Lockett, or alternatively it could be the price Lockett paid. I don't know when he acquired it. I initially thought that the C/67 fraction meant it was a Seaby ticket, implying it was bought at Christies in 1967. If so it would have to be one of the two sales for that year where I am missing the catalogue - 9th May and 10th Oct. Whatever, it is not a Lockett ticket. A cursory glance for items 7832 and 4570 drew a blank. Not much help really.

A key to dating this will be the Brooke reference Br.13, as it constrains the period.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Both crackers them Paddy. Love em! 

• Like 1

My purchase today from the DNW auction. A little Henry V, Penny, class Ab, London, annulet to left & pellet to right of crown, annulet before Lon, S 1777. Apparently very rare, but unfortunately plugged.

Does anybody know what the legend read around the obverse. All I can make out is HENRI..GRA...REX...ANG

Penny.png

• Like 1

I also finally got my hands on a semi-decent Edward I class 7a penny through DNW today :) 

Penny.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Descartes said:

My purchase today from the DNW auction. A little Henry V, Penny, class Ab, London, annulet to left & pellet to right of crown, annulet before Lon, S 1777. Apparently very rare, but unfortunately plugged.

Does anybody know what the legend read around the obverse. All I can make out is HENRI..GRA...REX...ANG

Penny.png

Looks like HENRIC DI GRA REX ANG to me.

Jerry

• Like 1

On 11/14/2018 at 11:10 PM, jelida said:

Looks like HENRIC DI GRA REX ANG to me.

Jerry

I agree 

• Like 1

Bought at a recent Italian auction: it is my first Scottish hammered coin 

James III 

3 penny

It should be the Spink 5308

IMG_20181130_210003.jpg

IMG_20181130_210303.jpg

thank you! Even if I admit that I knew yet...  It is a very detailed study and yesterday I spent a couple of hours trying to classify properly my coin, however, I still haven't found the exact classification ...

Picked this one up at a local auction - arrived today. I couldn't resist such a good portrait on a James I Sixpence S2670 mm Lis I believe.

James I 6D 1623 S2670 1 Red.JPG

James I 6D 1623 S2670 2 Red.JPG

• Like 4

That is a nice strong portrait Paddy, usually they are quite weak, I think.

Frank

• Like 1