British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Descartes

Recent Hammered Acquisitions

On 4/30/2018 at 11:12 PM, Ukstu said:

Thanks. Its one of those dodgy Danbury mint coins with the Coa. I loathe them but it was cheap so i bought it. Not sure what the deposits were it was like a green crust that broke off in bits. Didn't seem like verdigris. Wonder if it was part of the Brussels hoard perhaps. 

JointPics_20180430_230519.JPG

defo one of the brussels hoard, they all have that same look

• Like 2

Speak to NRP (Neil ex CC coins)

I bet in the Baldwins archives they still have a large stash left.

• Like 1

My little win today on the CNG auction :) William I penny, type VIII (Paxs), Salisbury mint.

William I penny, type VIII, Godwine on Salisbury.jpg

• Like 5

Well done.

I won the Marrian & Gausby centum pattern. I wanted a few more but got blown out the water. The superb Ormonde crown I had pencilled in at 3500ish, but a hammer of  five and a half was a bit much for me. Lot 1203 was a P1205 1798 farthing which I had 1000 on but made 1300. Not too surprised with that as the last one to come around sold for almost £1K hammer 5 or 6 years ago at W&W. It's seriously rare as a variety. Someone had a very nice Moore pattern P2130 which I came second on.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rob said:

Well done.

I won the Marrian & Gausby centum pattern. I wanted a few more but got blown out the water. The superb Ormonde crown I had pencilled in at 3500ish, but a hammer of  five and a half was a bit much for me. Lot 1203 was a P1205 1798 farthing which I had 1000 on but made 1300. Not too surprised with that as the last one to come around sold for almost £1K hammer 5 or 6 years ago at W&W. It's seriously rare as a variety. Someone had a very nice Moore pattern P2130 which I came second on.

Sadly, I know little about patterns but they are certainly very interesting. I hadn't seen the Marrian and Gausby pattern before ... I love the high relief portrait of the 'young  head' Queen Victoria! If I had deeper pockets, I'd like to own a decent siege piece one day - the Ormonde crown was indeed a lovely coin! I nearly won a nice little Ormonde sixpence last year - but alas, I came in a close second.

I bought the One Centum to tick that denomination box. It was conveniently not in copper, as I already have a 2 Cents in this metal, ex Hopetoun House Collection and a super coin. 'scuse the hair on the scanner

img074.jpg

• Like 2

I bought this in a bundle of hammered coins of varying qualities...  this is one of the nicest Edwards pennies I now own. :-)  It is very round, the portrait is clear and everything is readable.  Might keep it, or even sell it to recoup what I paid for the whole bundle.  Any help appreciated - is it Edward II? It is a London mint and probably in the best condition of my hammered pennies...  or at least up there with the best. Shame I am getting blurry photo's today...  I'd show the other side, but it came out blurry - it's just a normal London mint longcross penny on the other side..  nice readable letters.

Also - what is this other coin?  Tudor penny or half penny? Not had one before.It is about the size of an Edward halfpenny - sorry - I should have put a scaling object in the pic...   they are a bit blurry too. :-(  Thanks in advance if you can id it. :-) 

ed (2).jpg

coin.jpg

coin2.jpg

Edited by DrP

Henry VII or VIII penny?  I really do not know - not had one before.  I can try to get a clearer pic later if this is too blurred.  Have to pop out now though.  BL - have a nice day.

Edited by DrP

ah!  hold on - it has Ferdinand written on , so probably a Spanish silver hammered coin,  lol.  Looks similar to the Tudor pennies though, lol.  I was hoping it was British as most of the others were.   I have some Polish ones too. Henry Penny would have been nice.

Now i'm thinking Germany. From looking around. :-)  A Denar maybe 1500s? 

Edited by DrP

32 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I think it is this, or close to it:

https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces10702.html

Denar from Hungary between 1528 and 1559.

Oh I hope so! I bought a small number of really nice silver coins from Hungry a few months back..  1860 to 1890 odd...  they were about florin sized and uncirculated, this will go nice with them in my small Hungry collection. I'll look into it, thanks.

I'm not sure what Edward the penny is now - should be easy but I forget what to look for before the HVB to see which Ed it is. Any ides? (I shouldn't be so lazy and will have to look them up again, I have been know to get them drastically wrong though)

There is a small nick in the Edward penny unfortunately, other wise is is in nice condition compared to most of my hammered pennies.

Edited by DrP

There is a II on there which made me think it might be Ed II, but I am not sure that is right or not.

Just now, DrP said:

There is a II on there which made me think it might be Ed II, but I am not sure that is right or not.

I am not the man to help you with your Ed penny - I find them very difficult to tell apart. You need @Rob  I think.

I do know that whatever you are seeing as a "II" is nothing to do with any regnal number.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I am not the man to help you with your Ed penny - I find them very difficult to tell apart. You need @Rob  I think.

I do know that whatever you are seeing as a "II" is nothing to do with any regnal number.

yea, looking at others and more closely at this it could be a H or N...  then an S before the HVB.   Thanks anyway Paddy.  I have a half penny here too that is a bit worn and squashed and I can't even tell if it is Edward or Henry. I get Henry III and John coins mixed up too...  even when I have pictures of them in front of me they are hard to identify. I think I am getting better though.  lol. 

Recently purchased this coin in Australia and was thinking about getting it slabbed because it looks

to be in reasonable condition for its age but I'm not sure of its value ,Any information would be helpful thank you

The weight is 2.8 grams with a diameter of 26mm

1593bb.jpg

1593 ab.jpg

Edited by Stevo
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Stevo said:

Recently purchased this coin in Australia and was thinking about getting it slabbed because it looks

to be in reasonable condition for its age but I'm not sure of its value ,Any information would be helpful thank you

The weight is 2.8 grams with a diameter of 26mm

1593bb.jpg

1593 ab.jpg

Hello Stevo, this is a nice, clean example of a 6th coinage sixpence (S2578B, N2015), bust 6C, mintmark tun. 

If I were buying this I would go up to around £150, but of course others might differ.

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe

Without meaning to be rude Stevo, but why do you want to slab it?  (You might have noticed that slabbing isn't that popular in the UK)  Careful handling will preserve it fine without a slab (and you'll be able to insect it better). I keep my Charles I shillings in a tray in a cabinet so I can pick them up and look at them when I wish.  Though a nice coin, it's not so valuable that it needs preservation.  And if to sell, the cost of slabbing would have to be offset against the gain you'd make selling it raw.  Just curious.  T

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, TomGoodheart said:

Without meaning to be rude Stevo, but why do you want to slab it?  (You might have noticed that slabbing isn't that popular in the UK)  Careful handling will preserve it fine without a slab (and you'll be able to insect it better). I keep my Charles I shillings in a tray in a cabinet so I can pick them up and look at them when I wish.  Though a nice coin, it's not so valuable that it needs preservation.  And if to sell, the cost of slabbing would have to be offset against the gain you'd make selling it raw.  Just curious.  T

I also agree with this sentiment. I am so irritated by this phenomena of 'slabbing' that in my view removes one of the fundamental pleasures of coin collecting.

My own collection has a few slabs and I am constantly tempted to 'liberate' the contents to allow these coins to take their proper place in the cabinet with the rest. On-the-other-hand, with so many fakes nowadays, and while I know that my coins are genuine, slabs do provide a measure of assurance against this for rarer varieties and will do so particularly after I've fallen off my perch! For example, my own interest in siege-pieces and their propensity to be faked unfortunately makes me continue to keep those that are encapsulated in their Americanised 'state-of-captivity' (somewhat ironic for siege-pieces!). 

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe

35 minutes ago, TomGoodheart said:

Hi Tom it would be more for authentication purposes than anything as we have an industry of fake coins circulating in Australia

and it just seems to be getting worse .It's a case of deciding whether or not the value of the coin would warrant it

Edited by Stevo

and of course they often get it wrong, based in the US many of the larger companies workers experts seem to get very confused over our coinage.  A couple of years ago I eagerly awaited the arrival of an 1837 penny which was in wonderful condition I only saw the images without a scale and I think it was one of the the first times I had purchased a slab.  It arrived and was of course a half penny.  The dealer I purchased it from was adamant that it was a penny I had to jump through a number of hoops imaging it along side a slabbed penny.  When a piece of plastic control the mind and we relinquish the questioning of something to experts without verification I think we might end up in a bit of a mess.  Mind you on some rare coins like the gothic crown I can see the point.  but such cases are rare.  I smash mine out of the plastic the moment they arrive. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrLarry said:

I smash mine out of the plastic the moment they arrive.

What method do you use?

I only have one slabbed coin, didn’t notice was slabbed when I bought it off eBay. Very nervous I might damage a high quality scarce coin from a bumbled effort.

3 minutes ago, davidrj said:

What method do you use?

I only have one slabbed coin, didn’t notice was slabbed when I bought it off eBay. Very nervous I might damage a high quality scarce coin from a bumbled effort.

I've often thought about this when contemplating 'unslabbing' mine but I would certainly decide against any form of impact damage.

My (so far unproven) methodology would be to use a mini hacksaw along each edge, well-clear of the coin in the centre, and never in the direction of the coin. I reckon that should be pretty untraumatic for the contents and allow a successful extraction!

Frank

Oh I just get a sharp flat screwdriver or a chisel and if you can begin to prize open one corner they usually eventually break.  I have a few I have kept ones that are readily counterfeited as I say my gothic and a couple of Spanish countermarked Dollars and Half dollars from G III.  I have no desire to handle them that much so leave them secured.  

4 hours ago, davidrj said:

What method do you use?

I've only opened one, but wrapping it in a tea towel to protect your hands and twisting it breaks it open quite nicely.