British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Descartes

Recent Hammered Acquisitions

New variety Edward I 1301-1310 Farthing for me (sellers pics).

The slightly rarer Withers Type 28 (maybe 28c - will check ?apostrophe after REX when it’s delivered), North Class 10 [N1058], with Crown M (Blunt).

493FE193-51DA-48C8-9207-48256A061867.jpeg

F50D4C17-1E65-4CC2-8ABF-A0F24B47730A.jpeg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Coinery said:

New variety Edward I 1301-1310 Farthing for me (sellers pics).

The slightly rarer Withers Type 28 (maybe 28c - will check ?apostrophe after REX when it’s delivered), North Class 10 [N1058], with Crown M (Blunt).

493FE193-51DA-48C8-9207-48256A061867.jpeg

F50D4C17-1E65-4CC2-8ABF-A0F24B47730A.jpeg

Another superb farthing Stu! 🙂You've been having lots of luck with this Plantagenet series lately 👍

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Descartes said:

Another superb farthing Stu! 🙂You've been having lots of luck with this Plantagenet series lately 👍

I really like uncorroded flans, and this one ticks that box! These last two farthings balance out my overspend on the last John penny! Harmony has been restored :D

• Like 1

The Edward Bristol at Davisson’s went ballistic so abandoned it for 2 Henry IIIs instead, one a Terci coin.

Grrrr pictures to follow

Edited by Coinery

This beauty is my latest and best. It has gilding on it, so likely one of the batch that was minted from gilded silver that has been well documented. Getting this has well-and-truly cleaned-out my coin fund for the time being, but I think it was worth it - as long as the wife doesn't find out!

Frank

Newark 9d Obv.jpg

Newark 9d Rev.jpg

Edited by hibernianscribe
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

This beauty is my latest and best. It has gilding on it, so likely one of the batch that was minted from gilded silver that has been well documented. Getting this has well-and-truly cleaned-out my coin fund for the time being, but I think it was worth it - as long as the wife doesn't find out!

Frank

Newark 9d Obv.jpg

Newark 9d Rev.jpg

Brilliant, Frank...I don’t know a great deal about this series, but wouldn’t the cut edges reveal whether it was guilded pre or post hammering?

48 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Brilliant, Frank...I don’t know a great deal about this series, but wouldn’t the cut edges reveal whether it was guilded pre or post hammering?

Yes, absolutely, and this piece was gilded before the plate was cut as the edges do show - there is no doubt about this.

However, I am excited about the gilt since I am surmising whether this was a piece from the "two guilt wine bowles" that are documented as being part of the "Plate delivered to Mr Edward Standishe, Alderman, by consent to be sold for the townes use and to supply their p'sent want of money...." (quoted from the minutes of a meeting of the (Newark) Corporation held on May 15, 1646 and detailed in, "The Obsidional Money of the Great Rebellion", 1907, Philip Nelson, M.D.)

Obviously it is very possible that other gilt plates might have been used as well but this reference is specific right down to the fact that two gold-plated wine bowls were cut up to literally, make money.

This is why I find this series so interesting - there is a tangible link with particular people caught up in a bloody struggle.

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

Yes, absolutely, and this piece was gilded before the plate was cut as the edges do show - there is no doubt about this.

However, I am excited about the gilt since I am surmising whether this was a piece from the "two guilt wine bowles" that are documented as being part of the "Plate delivered to Mr Edward Standishe, Alderman, by consent to be sold for the townes use and to supply their p'sent want of money...." (quoted from the minutes of a meeting of the (Newark) Corporation held on May 15, 1646 and detailed in, "The Obsidional Money of the Great Rebellion", 1907, Philip Nelson, M.D.)

Obviously it is very possible that other gilt plates might have been used as well but this reference is specific right down to the fact that two gold-plated wine bowls were cut up to literally, make money.

This is why I find this series so interesting - there is a tangible link with particular people caught up in a bloody struggle.

Frank

Goodness, even a tenuous link to that story makes the coin all the more interesting. I so hope you can dig up some more information. Have to spoken to Rob to see if he knows anything more about it?

On 2018-04-05 at 11:41 AM,  hibernianscribe said:

Frank

Hi Frank, I can't make out from the  photo of your Newark siege piece any sign of plate markings, which often accompany  these 1646 gilt ninepences. I found three  other examples with the same obverse die, that are illustrated in sale catalogues.

HIRD, LOT 265-   GLENS 1974

NOBLE, LOT 690- GLENS1975

WHEELER, LOT 407- SOTHEBY 1930

Thellusson in the Sotheby sale of 1931, lot 248  describes a Newark nine pence also cut from a gilt plate but lacks an  image.

• Like 2

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 10:43 PM, kal said:

On 2018-04-05 at 11:41 AM,  hibernianscribe said:

Frank

Hi Frank, I can't make out from the  photo of your Newark siege piece any sign of plate markings, which often accompany  these 1646 gilt ninepences. I found three  other examples with the same obverse die, that are illustrated in sale catalogues.

HIRD, LOT 265-   GLENS 1974

NOBLE, LOT 690- GLENS1975

WHEELER, LOT 407- SOTHEBY 1930

Thellusson in the Sotheby sale of 1931, lot 248  describes a Newark nine pence also cut from a gilt plate but lacks an  image.

Hi Kal,

Yes, this one and another Newark half crown I have unfortunately do not have any of these plate markings, but here's wishing I can get one eventually, so I'm on the lookout for a decent example. In my view these variations further add to the historical value of these pieces.

Frank

Hi Frank,

There's useful info in Spink's circular for March 1976, p90-91 by H.R. Jessop. In his paper "Flans for Newark Siege Coins", for example, he examined 35 nine-pences for 1646, eight were cut from a gilt plate and four of these had rim markings.  Do you have access to this article?  If not, contact me personally.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kal said:

Hi Frank,

There's useful info in Spink's circular for March 1976, p90-91 by H.R. Jessop. In his paper "Flans for Newark Siege Coins", for example, he examined 35 nine-pences for 1646, eight were cut from a gilt plate and four of these had rim markings.  Do you have access to this article?  If not, contact me personally.

Thanks Kal,

I've sent you a pm.

Frank

My recent purchase. An Edward III Pre-treaty series D, penny (Ex Drabble; Ex Doubleday).

Edward III, penny, pre-treaty, series D.jpg

• Like 4

Hi interesting IM, it is known that the 'square cross' IM of PTS C was used also in D but started to break up ( one corner missing ) It wold appear that the punch developed further damage and almost half of the punch breaking away. I would surmise that this is one of the last dies to be made with that punch before it was replaced with the cross found for PTS E. Very interesting coin

• Like 1

On 28/04/2018 at 2:55 PM, Descartes said:

My recent purchase. An Edward III Pre-treaty series D, penny (Ex Drabble; Ex Doubleday).

Edward III, penny, pre-treaty, series D.jpg

Nice, Des, well done! :)

• Like 1

That is a corker sir!!!:o:D

• Like 1

That's a nice coin Des!

• Like 1

Picked this up cheap as it had heavy green deposits on the R in Henric and N in On. Managed with distilled water and toothpick to flake it off. 

Henry III Long cross penny

Class 5c2. c.1253 -1256 Ad

Ricard at London mint. 

JointPics_20180430_150959.JPG

Edited by Ukstu
Typo
  • Like 5

22 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Picked this up cheap as it had heavy green deposits on the R in Henric and N in On. Managed with distilled water and toothpick to flake it off. 

Ricard at London mint. 

Quite a pleasing coin, especially if you picked it up cheap!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Ricard at London mint. 

Especially nice reverse on that, Stu. 👍

31 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Especially nice reverse on that, Stu. 👍

Thanks. Its one of those dodgy Danbury mint coins with the Coa. I loathe them but it was cheap so i bought it. Not sure what the deposits were it was like a green crust that broke off in bits. Didn't seem like verdigris. Wonder if it was part of the Brussels hoard perhaps. 

JointPics_20180430_230519.JPG

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 2

what y'all think of this one :ph34r:

31841509_10215026622515199_1233644238114127872_n.jpg31715164_10215026622475198_9174741827264184320_n.jpg

• Like 4

It's cleanly struck and a full found coin, which is in its favour, but with the caveat that the surfaces are a bit wanting. The resolution isn't good enough to say whether it is deposits or corrosion and the portrait is a bit flat.

You should be able to get one with a decent portrait for not a lot of money. I doubt you would have to go very far into three figures for a well struck full coin. Even on ebay you see decent examples on a buy it now for less, mainly due to the fact they are not the most popular denomination. It's the perennial problem of halves of anything being unpopular with collectors.