British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Descartes

Recent Hammered Acquisitions

I thought it was perhaps time we had our own RECENT ACQUISITIONS hammered coins post.

• Like 3

Here are two I picked up at Sovereign rarities today. Two nice little Charles I pennies in surprisingly good striking nick

IMG_4134.PNG

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Descartes said:

Here are two I picked up at Sovereign rarities today. Two nice little Charles I pennies in surprisingly good striking nick

IMG_4134.PNG

IMG_4133.PNG

• Like 3

I have 3 or 4 Charles 1st pennies. None of them have as good a face as your's though - one isn't too bad but very worn still. The shield is better on 1 or 2 of mine though I think. I like them. I put the best one in my penny collection and will probably flog the others.

• Like 1

Here's my best one probably. And the others.

C1penny.jpg

C1penny2 (2).jpg

C1pennies.jpg

C1pennies2.jpg

Edited by DrP
  • Like 2

Here are 2 pennies I got recently. I know they are quite worn but I like the age of them and they are identifiable  -  I already have them but am not sure which is the John and which is the Henry (Henry III?): 

I think the short cross is John.  Not sure about the long cross one...  the Henry III one I have looks like he is holding a sceptre or something, but there is noting like that on this...  any ideas appreciated thanks.

johnandhenrypennies.jpg

johnandhenrypennes2.jpg

Edited by DrP
  • Like 1

The short cross is a Henry III. Looks like one of the class 7c,s by the portrait. Moneyer probably Nichole. That's as much as i can see. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

The long cross is Huge on Norwich. I am no good with classification of these. It's an early one with no sceptre.(class 3? )

Try looking on here for further details http://www.henry3.com

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

i Hate Norwich being a Suffolk lad.I'm also a QS freelance and I met new lads Monday and on Friday we were sinking pints.The City of Nodge is gorgeous.

Castles,coins....and top totty...avoid the 6 fingered Yarmouth girls.

Mrs Peter and my goodself had plans for retirement until the bitch killed herself..

The long cross is a class 3a1. Quite rare as not many were found in the Brussels hoard apparently (only 5) of that type.  Information on the link i posted above. 

Stu.

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 2

I do think of you and Mrs P a lot @Peter it affected us all on here! Hope you’re OK, buddy! 

I think this is a great idea for a thread, I know you’ve got a couple of hammereds kicking around! ;)

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Peter said:

i Hate Norwich being a Suffolk lad.I'm also a QS freelance and I met new lads Monday and on Friday we were sinking pints.The City of Nodge is gorgeous.

Castles,coins....and top totty...avoid the 6 fingered Yarmouth girls.

Mrs Peter and my goodself had plans for retirement until the bitch killed herself..

Just had a great two day break in warwickshire

Visited  kenilworth castle (at last!)  charlescote park  a couple of the shakespeare houses what a lovely county it is

Edited by copper123

I blame the penny boys for starting a penny only acquisition thread. Coin aquisition (sic) of the Week was doing just fine with nearly 14000 posts until Upinsmoke put his own purchases into a separate thread, then others joined it and now we have a multitude of disparate acquisition threads. Can we not just merge all these into one and keep it simple?

Edited by Rob

8 hours ago, Ukstu said:

The long cross is Huge on Norwich. I am no good with classification of these. It's an early one with no sceptre.(class 3? )

Try looking on here for further details http://www.henry3.com

Thank you. I'll use that to identify some of my other ones when I get the chance. I've got some other Henry III's and I'm sure some are king John, but I get them confused. I'll use that guide at some point and try to sort them out. Some are hard to see though and are beat up a bit. .  

How do you know it's 3a1?.  Star straddling the crown jewel, stop between the straight limbed X and III?  I think that's what that link says. 

11 hours ago, Rob said:

I blame the penny boys for starting a penny only acquisition thread. Coin aquisition (sic) of the Week was doing just fine with nearly 14000 posts until Upinsmoke put his own purchases into a separate thread, then others joined it and now we have a multitude of disparate acquisition threads. Can we not just merge all these into one and keep it simple?

Just bought a Penny...help me...it was a pre 1860...send me to Coventry...oh heck that is close to the Midland Coin fair.

OK - Not pennies...  The groat I think is Edward....  because it says Edward on it, but do not know which one  -  is a bit bust up, but it's old and the only groat I have of this type.  The cut coin...  I do not know what it is...  it looks too good to be real and I think it is probably a modern copy but I do not know, I don't see how it could have remained this minty for so long - it came with a few other hammered and Roman coins that were real so I bought it...  (French?).

Not pennies!  :-) 

groat.jpg

groat2 (2).jpg

un.jpg

un2.jpg

• Like 1

The groat is Henry VII ( Canterbury mint ) the cut halfs a double patard of charles the bold. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

Thanks again. Does the cut double patard look a bit too new to you or is it just a very nice one? Has a similar look to a fake Elizabeth 1st crown or half crown I have. Looks a little too clean and new but not sure. Seller was not sure either but the other stuff he had was fine. 

Looking at the prices of those Henry VII groats I am quite liking mine now. There is a bit missing though. :-) I thought I saw Edward on it but that must be a different coin - I might need to get my eyes checked, lol.

Edited by DrP

It does look new yes i agree. I couldn't say if it was fake though from the image. I suppose if it was in circulation not long before it got lost it could be like that.

I think they were the accepted equivalent of a groat when whole so the half would be half groat. 

• Like 1

I've recently acquired this lovely P&M shilling that I'm now using as my avatar:

philip-and-mary-silver-shilling obv for avatar.jpg

philip-and-mary-silver-shilling rev for avatar.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, hibernianscribe said:

I've recently acquired this lovely P&M shilling that I'm now using as my avatar:

Wow, that’s a fabulous reverse - Is the obverse as classy? :)

I posted both obv and rev - is the obverse not displaying in my posting?

In my view the obverse is fantastic - it should be showing as my avatar.

Frank

Edited by hibernianscribe

48 minutes ago, hibernianscribe said:

I posted both obv and rev - is the obverse not displaying in my posting?

In my view the obverse is fantastic - it should be showing as my avatar.

Frank

I can only see two reverse images above. Had a look at your avatar though, phenomenal coin! :)

2 hours ago, Coinery said:

I can only see two reverse images above. Had a look at your avatar though, phenomenal coin! :)

Sorry about that - finger trouble! - somehow I managed to lose the image of the obverse - I'll try again...

Frank

• Like 7