British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Descartes

ID Help Please - Edward penny

Please could somebody ID this penny for me. I'm having problems trying to work it out.

Thanks,
Descartes

ED1.jpg

I will kick things off with class 3b

very nice coin

4 minutes ago, Richard2 said:

I will kick things off with class 3b

very nice coin

Thanks Richard. I was hoping it was a 3b but the drapery looks a bit odd! :) 

I’m no expert by any means , just had a quick look in withers . Your coin seems to fit the bill

• Like 1

I’d say 3b. Although we can’t clearly see the detail at the ends of the collar on your coin, the profile of the collar on 3a is much flatter and wider, and of course goes around the back of the neck, whereas the 3b is far more deeply curved, and obviously shorter.

I wonder how many 3a collar punches there may have been?

On 28/03/2018 at 6:25 PM, Coinery said:

I’d say 3b. Although we can’t clearly see the detail at the ends of the collar on your coin, the profile of the collar on 3a is much flatter and wider, and of course goes around the back of the neck, whereas the 3b is far more deeply curved, and obviously shorter.

I wonder how many 3a collar punches there may have been?

Hi Stu, yes, I wonder how many 3a punches there were? Perhaps that's a project for the future...

Anyway, the coin arrived today and I've tried to take some photos for a clearer look at the neck and drapery. Im not the worlds best photographer, but what's your opinion of the coin? Is it a 3b? 🙂

IMG_4124.PNG

IMG_4125.PNG

definitely 3b

• Like 1

11 hours ago, davetmoneyer said:

definitely 3b

Thanks Dave! 🙂