British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Descartes

Edward I class 2a - Spink Auction

Here's my little win from yesterday's Spink auction. It's a neat little Edward I penny, class 2a, which clearly shows the left leaf of the central fleur incomplete as a result of damage to the punch. That's my class 2s all done and dusted now! :) 

Edward I penny class 2a, London, S.1383.jpg

• Like 1

Well done Sir, a nice coin! Good work! :) 

I just can’t stop thinking that it’s face 2 though???

Edited by Coinery
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Well done Sir, a nice coin! Good work! :) 

Thanks Stu! There seems to be loads of Plantagenet pennies turning up this Spring. Long may it continue!

Definitely a 2a crown though, maybe an unrecorded face???

8 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Definitely a 2a crown though, maybe an unrecorded face???

Oh! I see what you mean. It appears to be 'face 2' which would make it a 1d :o ... however, the nick in the crown suggests a 2a. Hmmm. I hope it's a 2a though - I'm fed up of seeing the 'class 2a' penny gap in my folder! hahaha

6 minutes ago, Descartes said:

Oh! I see what you mean. It appears to be 'face 2' which would make it a 1d :o ... however, the nick in the crown suggests a 2a. Hmmm. I hope it's a 2a though - I'm fed up of seeing the 'class 2a' penny gap in my folder! hahaha

No it’s definitely a 2a crown :)

• Like 1

The punches for the dies were generally replaced as they wore out so certain features tend to slurp over to the next class, the general face punch for 2a is one from class 1d, when the punch is replaced with the narrower one then that's the class 2b

7 minutes ago, davetmoneyer said:

The punches for the dies were generally replaced as they wore out so certain features tend to slurp over to the next class, the general face punch for 2a is one from class 1d, when the punch is replaced with the narrower one then that's the class 2b

That makes perfect sense and so much clearer to say that re the crossover to 2b. I think the confusing detail is withers haven’t said this, they say faces 1 and 4 from class 1.