British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

I have recently acquired some Encased Farthings and these I find very interesting. I am wondering if other members collect these at all. Also how are these produced? I can understand they were done for advertising purposes, so why did they not use other coins as well for example sixpences? Here are a couple that I have just received. the first is in rather a poor state but the other is far better.

1938 George VI Encased Farthing Hooper Struves Rev.jpg1938 George VI Encased Farthing Hooper Struves Obv.jpg1938 George VI Encased Farthing Quality Inn Rev.jpg1938 George VI Encased Farthing Quality Inn Obv.jpg

These have become more popular recently, or at least the prices have risen quite a bit. You can also find encased US cents.

• Like 1

Just hope I can find some more, I keep looking. They do seem to be a bit thin on the ground. Do they come up in any of the major auction rooms at all. Below my only other wto I own at the moment.

1917 George V Encased Farthing Forsyth Rev.jpg1917 George V Encased Farthing Forsyth Obv.jpg1954 Elizabeth II Encased Farthing Chelsea Hotel Rev.jpg1954 Elizabeth II Encased Farthing Chelsea Hotel Obv.jpg

The Chelsea Hotel in that condition is an easy £25 at present. I've only ever seen one other Forsyth and my guess is that it's worth a lot more than the Chelsea. Five years ago encased farthings were £5-7, now there are too many people chasing them.

1 hour ago, bagerap said:

The Chelsea Hotel in that condition is an easy £25 at present. I've only ever seen one other Forsyth and my guess is that it's worth a lot more than the Chelsea. Five years ago encased farthings were £5-7, now there are too many people chasing them.

Darn it! I hand one or two a few years back and sold them at 50p each! Can't remember which adverts though.

3 hours ago, bagerap said:

The Chelsea Hotel one I purchases from Chris All About Farthings early last year, he had a few the Forsyth as well. Just nipped in this week and bought a couple more he had on the website. They are well collected in the USA but not with Farthings in them, with a lot more variety as well. Still we will keep plugging along and see what turns up.

Couple more just added to the collection.

1939 George VI Encased Farthing Hooper Struves Rev 2.jpg1939 George VI Encased Farthing Hooper Struves Obv 2.jpg1905 Edward VII Encased Farthing Forsyth Rev 2.jpg1905 Edward VII Encased Farthing Forsyth Obv 2.jpg

• Like 1

Shouldn't that 1905 be mint darkened?

2 minutes ago, bagerap said:

Shouldn't that 1905 be mint darkened?

Yes it should. But quite a few Edward farthings were artificially lustred, presumably to pass as half sovs. This particular one may have been gilded specially to go into the holder, i.e. to make it look more attractive?

I ask because there are quite a few "coins" on the market purporting to be Eddie and early George V farthings but which have the remains of visible lustre. These include the spurious watch fobs with the space around George's head neatly cut out. 

Another added to the collection. Not the best and not that Hooper Struves is one that is more common than most of the others. Still hard to find in decent condition though.

1928 George V Encased Farthing Hooper Struves Rev 400.jpg1928 George V Encased Farthing Hooper Struves Obv 400.jpg

• Like 2

Another added to the collection. Not the best condition but Victoria 1886 my earliest one so far. The search still goes on from more of these. If anyone has any or finds any please let me know I am always interested in acquiring more:D

1886 Victoria Encased Farthing Comedy by Pathe Rev 400.jpg1886 Victoria Encased Farthing Comedy by Pathe Obv 400.jpg

• Like 3

Two more elusive Encased Farthings acquired this week.:D  First in EF+ condition and the second not so good about Fine, but still a nice find.

1953 Elizabeth II Encased Farthing Speedwell Gear Case Col Rev 400.jpg1953 Elizabeth II Encased Farthing Speedwell Gear Case Co Obv 400.jpg

1953 Elizabeth II Encased Farthing "Speedwell Gear Case Co. Birmingham" 38mm

1937 George VI Encased Farthing Grand Garage Morecambe Ltd Rev 400.jpg1937 George VI Encased Farthing Grand Garage Morecambe Ltd Obv 400.jpg

1937 George VI Encased Farthing “Grand Garage (Morecambe) Ltd” (J.R.Gaunt) 38mm

• Like 2

Still hunting for Encased Farthings. Thought I would share a couple more that I received recently from a collector in Canada.

1902 Edward VII Encased Farthing Mc Millan Rev 400.jpg1902 Edward VII Encased Farthing Mc Millan Obv 400.jpg

1924 George V Encased Farthing Harris Kraines & Kraines Rev 400.jpg1924 George V Encased Farthing Harris Kraines & Kraines Obv 400.jpg

• Like 3

I have never seen those for sale before now so it has been good to see something different .....I always feel sorry for farthings :) 

5 hours ago, DrLarry said:

I have never seen those for sale before now so it has been good to see something different .....I always feel sorry for farthings :) 

Glad you like them will add more as I find them.

On 6/19/2018 at 9:18 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

Another added to the collection. Not the best condition but Victoria 1886 my earliest one so far. The search still goes on from more of these. If anyone has any or finds any please let me know I am always interested in acquiring more:D

1886 Victoria Encased Farthing Comedy by Pathe Rev 400.jpg1886 Victoria Encased Farthing Comedy by Pathe Obv 400.jpg

I have one of these farthings. I was wondering how you date the issue of encased farthings. The farthing is 1886 but the ad is for a film made in 1932.

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

I have one of these farthings. I was wondering how you date the issue of encased farthings. The farthing is 1886 but the ad is for a film made in 1932.

Hi Smithy and welcome to the forum. You have asked a good question there. I have been collecting these Encased coins for about a year now and to be honest, had not really thought of that. I have seen another with the same surround and dated 1929 so the theory that they were produced the same year that the coin was struck goes out the window. The only explanation I could possibly give is that when these were produced, perhaps the year that the film came out, is that they used whatever farthing coins were available at the time of production.

It certainly a puzzling one and worth more research into. Unless anyone else may have another theory that I have not thought off.  

On 19 June 2018 at 9:18 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

How very retro of Dire Straits...

• Haha 3

Not sure if this one fits into your target area? A friend of mine has it and may be interested in parting with it to a collector. It comes with an advertising paper from Richards of Sheffield - the manufacturer of the penknife.

Farthing Penknife 1 Red.JPG

Farthing Penknife 2 Red.JPG

8 hours ago, Paddy said:

Not sure if this one fits into your target area? A friend of mine has it and may be interested in parting with it to a collector. It comes with an advertising paper from Richards of Sheffield - the manufacturer of the penknife.

Hi, Paddy thanks for thinking of me with this one. I have seen a few of these on eBay but not an area I want to go into really. Please still keep a lookout for the Encased Farthing with the aluminum surrounds though. Once again thank for the thought.👍🏻😊

No problem, I will  let you know as soon as I see another. 😊

• Like 1

Another addition to the Encased Farthing collection. Pleased with this one. 

480040186_1928GeorgeVEncasedFarthingSpeedwellGearCaseColRev400.jpg.a9e8600a708b0e70fd07a7536e281cb1.jpg446159133_1928GeorgeVEncasedFarthingSpeedwellGearCaseColObv400.jpg.d55da231349c43c21f8bc01a0e22b6ba.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2018 at 4:54 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

Got to say I like you running rabbit avatar! Really cheerful!

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Sword said:

Got to say I like you running rabbit avatar! Really cheerful!

Thank you I thought it would be a bit different from the normal ones around and a bit of fun. Will have to change it from time to time, just to keep you on your toes.