British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

craigy

Peering into the darkness with R Ingram Coins lol

they do love a dark picture, maybe thats to hide the dirty great gouges by the ear and back of neck 

"Good morning. A happy weekend to you all. We have a 1926 Modified Effigy for you today. We get more questions about this variety than any other. The key to spotting the difference is to focus on the initials BM on the kings neckline. On the ME version the BM is smaller, more to the right of the line, and has no stops, between the B and the M.

Now if you can't see the BM clearly enough, to work this out, then in our opinion, the coin is not of sufficent grade to make the distinction. We reckong Good fine is about the lowest meaningful grade needed to discriminate. There are other differences, but we think these are the easiest to make the distinction.

Our coin has been graded NEF and the price is £1250. For a full list of our Pennies."

28162182_792671317593963_6927879915337887694_o.jpg

28235358_792671347593960_2787616966776551914_o.jpg

Edited by craigy

Whos coin is that craigy is it on some facebook thing or something else ?.

IMO the initials are probably not the best indicator either.

Sorry i should of looked at the thread title first :(

They like to use the term WE untill the last sentence....Our coin has been graded NEF :)

Edited by PWA 1967

3 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Whos coin is that craigy is it on some facebook thing or something else ?.

IMO the initials are probably not the best indicator either.

Sorry i should of looked at the thread title first :(

They like to use the term WE untill the last sentence....Our coin has been graded NEF :)

wonder who graded it,bit dark to judge 

1 hour ago, craigy said:

they do love a dark picture, maybe thats to hide the dirty great gouges by the ear and back of neck 

"Good morning. A happy weekend to you all. We have a 1926 Modified Effigy for you today. We get more questions about this variety than any other. The key to spotting the difference is to focus on the initials BM on the kings neckline. On the ME version the BM is smaller, more to the right of the line, and has no stops, between the B and the M.

Now if you can't see the BM clearly enough, to work this out, then in our opinion, the coin is not of sufficent grade to make the distinction. We reckong Good fine is about the lowest meaningful grade needed to discriminate. There are other differences, but we think these are the easiest to make the distinction.

Our coin has been graded NEF and the price is £1250. For a full list of our Pennies."

£1250?? :o It's a small tad better than mine.. from what I can actually see. I class mine as VF and bought it from Colin Cooke for less than £50 (mind you, that was about 20 years ago!)

1926ME 2 obv.jpg1926ME 2 rev.jpg

What I don't get is why, if they are supposed to be a professional coin dealership, they put up such a lousy photograph - particularly on a coin they want so much money for! They didn't even bother to crop it so they could put up a higher resolution.

I have only been photographing (as opposed to scanning) coins for a few months and I can turn out better images than that.

... and if MEs in average condition are really worth that much, I had better go through my box of discarded 1926s. If the grade is low I tip them in there and don't even bother checking for ME...

2 hours ago, craigy said:

Now if you can't see the BM clearly enough, to work this out, then in our opinion, the coin is not of sufficent grade to make the distinction. We reckong Good fine is about the lowest meaningful grade needed to discriminate. 

Not very bright, are they? The BM is about the last thing I look at, since it's usually difficult to make out on a photograph. I reckon the colons before and after BRITT are the easiest, and it would have to be pretty rough not to be able to make those out. :rolleyes:

4 minutes ago, Paddy said:

What I don't get is why, if they are supposed to be a professional coin dealership, they put up such a lousy photograph - particularly on a coin they want so much money for! They didn't even bother to crop it so they could put up a higher resolution.

I have only been photographing (as opposed to scanning) coins for a few months and I can turn out better images than that.

... and if MEs in average condition are really worth that much, I had better go through my box of discarded 1926s. If the grade is low I tip them in there and don't even bother checking for ME...

I'm starting to think I should take you up on that offer of bucket-diving. :) :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Not very bright, are they? The BM is about the last thing I look at, since it's usually difficult to make out on a photograph. I reckon the colons before and after BRITT are the easiest, and it would have to be pretty rough not to be able to make those out. :rolleyes:

The colon after GRA: was the clincher for me when I was learning.

57 minutes ago, Peckris said:

I look at the one after BRITT, because until you mentioned it the other day I wasn't aware of the difference in the other one. :lol:

Precisely the point I raised in the other recent thread about Michael & Rendell. Their photography is dreadful.

As I said at the time, I can do better than that just using my tablet under a bog standard incandescent bulb. 

They have a huge stock of coins, yet still cannot get this basic skill under their belts. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peckris said:

It's the most obvious clincher on an ME. Instantly visible to the naked eye.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Precisely the point I raised in the other recent thread about Michael & Rendell. Their photography is dreadful.

As I said at the time, I can do better than that just using my tablet under a bog standard incandescent bulb. 

They have a huge stock of coins, yet still cannot get this basic skill under their belts. 

If you want me to spend on a coin, I'd like to be able to see it. I don't think I'm alone in this respect.

Edited by mrbadexample
  • Like 1

Here is the penny in question just edited it a bit. Would you buy it now you can see the detail better.

28162182_792671317593963_6927879915337887694_o.thumb.jpg.0a7c129a3cc60b06bdd2dc9053b977fd.jpg28235358_792671347593960_2787616966776551914_o.thumb.jpg.53cfeb356dec1466e7b9f7a94df44ac2.jpg

Edited by UPINSMOKE

15 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Would you buy it now you can see the detail better.

I wouldn't have bought it before. ;)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

If you want me to spend on a coin, I'd like to be able to see it. I don't think I'm alone in this respect.

Same here, Jon.

14 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Here is the penny in question just edited it a bit. Would you buy it now you can see the detail better.

28162182_792671317593963_6927879915337887694_o.thumb.jpg.0a7c129a3cc60b06bdd2dc9053b977fd.jpg28235358_792671347593960_2787616966776551914_o.thumb.jpg.53cfeb356dec1466e7b9f7a94df44ac2.jpg

Ye gods. It's about a quarter grade better than mine.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Paulus said:

NEF they think eh ...

probably should read NAF. Where are the fingers, or does hidden detail form part of the assigned grade? Helmet's flat, drapery's flat, clear date and the picture is devoid of relief. I think that's a dream on.

1 hour ago, Paulus said:

NEF they think eh ...

I'd grade it at aVF. There's distinct signs of wear, although the shield lookd reasonably intact. 

I'd second that one. I just don't think in this internet age that such coins not in premium condition can hold value - or even have much!

I'd grade it VF at least, but not much more. The shield is complete and Britannia's upper is a notorious weak strike on that 1913-26 reverse; also, the 1926ME is a mule and the reverse is probably left-over 1922s recut.

Recently I noticed a couple of 1908's and a 1913 offered for sale on Rendel's site, not photographed and not with a Freeman number. I asked what Freeman types they were, and instead got photos, and this is what I got. One of them is a 1903, and the picture quality is appalling. Not only is the 1903 the wrong date, but in addition, he couldn't even be bothered to take it out of the plastic holder.  

rendel rev disgrace.jpg

rendel obv disgrace.jpg

On 24 March 2018 at 5:53 PM, Rob said:

probably should read NAF. Where are the fingers, or does hidden detail form part of the assigned grade? Helmet's flat, drapery's flat, clear date and the picture is devoid of relief. I think that's a dream on.

Over graded, and I'm seeing a few spots of verd on the reverse too.

Helmet, right arm, rim teeth below the O, etc.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

Recently I noticed a couple of 1908's and a 1913 offered for sale on Rendel's site, not photographed and not with a Freeman number. I asked what Freeman types they were, and instead got photos, and this is what I got. One of them is a 1903, and the picture quality is appalling. Not only is the 1903 the wrong date, but in addition, he couldn't even be bothered to take it out of the plastic holder.  

Custom is clearly not important to them, is it? :wacko: