British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

UPINSMOKE

More Threepences

Some weeks back I acquired these 3 Threepences they were not that expensive. But before I explain about them, I would like your opinions on them please.  Please be brutally honest  about what you think about each one and why? I will explain later. 

1911 Threepence Rev Corrosion.jpeg1911 Threepence Obv Corrosion.jpeg1898 Threepence Rev Cleaned.jpeg1898 Threepence Obv Cleaned.jpeg1877 Threepence Rev Cleaned.jpeg1877 Threepence Obv Cleaned.jpeg

Not quite sure what you are expecting to hear! All three coins seem pretty good and whether they were good value will depend on how much you paid!

The 1911 suffers from the familiar problem with threepences of more wear on the bust than anywhere else. Might benefit from a little soap and water.

The 1898 is better but does have digs in the fields on either side.

The 1877, as well as more wear on the bust, has been rubbed with something abrasive to give a mass of fine hairline scratches.

I would be happy with any of them, depending on the price, unless maybe I was expecting them to be Maundy? I am not good at distinguishing Maundy from not but to me only the 1898 looks possible.

• Like 2

I love the toning on the 1898, and I'm not posh about digs too much so if it ever needs a new home... :)

The 1877 seems like a "normal" example - I imagine it could look nicer with less harsh lighting (or in the hand).

The George.. what do I know about George?

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments. I will let you know that all of these were slabbed and rejected. The 1911 was for corrosion on the Obv, the 1898 was for being cleaned, and the 1877 was for also being cleaned.  

I never slab anything so I am unfamiliar with the issues.

The 1877 I can agree their point. The 1911 maybe, but a bit harsh. The 1898 does not look particularly cleaned to me - at least not in an unpleasant way.

Confirms my decision against slabbing I'm afraid!

• Like 1

I guess I have terrible taste in coins then, but I also agree with @Paddy - slabbing isn't something I'd do (without a very specific need for it) :)

I agree with everything you say I bought these coins slabbed I can't see how they thought they would get through the grading process well at least two of them anyway. I'm with you on the 1898 it doesn't look that bad. I do plan to break them all out of their coffins at some stage. But thanks again for all your input just wanted to see if anyone would spot if they were cleaned or not.

On the George V is that the angle of the coin or are some letters bigger BRITT looks bigger and MN of OMN  tall D and squashed D opposite  I of Britt looks taller than I of IND ?

43 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

On the George V is that the angle of the coin or are some letters bigger BRITT looks bigger and MN of OMN  tall D and squashed D opposite  I of Britt looks taller than I of IND ?

Hi I think its an optical illusion. I  have broken the coin out of the slab and examined it closely and the letters are all the same size. Will work on the other slabbed coins tomorrow and take a closer look at them as well. 

• Like 1

This may be a daft question as i dont know anything about them :)

Why did you buy them when other people had given you the opinion they had problems ?.

Are they scarce,hard to find or were they just cheap ?

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

This may be a daft question as i dont know anything about them :)

Why did you buy them when other people had given you the opinion they had problems ?.

Are they scarce,hard to find or were they just cheap ?

Hi pete I don't really know why i bought them ??? Just an impulse buy I think. They were there I was there and they were cheap:rolleyes::D I have no other defence my lord. At least I can now experiment getting them out of the slabs just in case I get one I really do need to break out.

2 hours ago, UPINSMOKE said:

Hi pete I don't really know why i bought them ??? Just an impulse buy I think. They were there I was there and they were cheap:rolleyes::D I have no other defence my lord. At least I can now experiment getting them out of the slabs just in case I get one I really do need to break out.

Be gentle with the 1898, it'd be a shame to hurt that one.

2 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Be gentle with the 1898, it'd be a shame to hurt that one.

I certainly will be careful with it. It's yours if your interested in it. PM me

On 19/03/2018 at 5:40 PM, UPINSMOKE said:

1898 Threepence Rev Cleaned.jpeg1898 Threepence Obv Cleaned.jpeg

As I'm the village idiot around here, could one of the wisened gentlefolk please let me know how you (or aforementioned grading company) came to the conclusion that this coin is "cleaned" please?

I just don't see "it".

Cheers!

It maybe the fact that the Obv has a lovely tone whereas the Rev is toned but not the same. So perhaps that side was cleaned and left out to retone again, but what do I know I an only a beginner and having a guess. What till the experts come along. 

Anyone else have any input on the "cleaned" status of the above 3d please - I'm very interested to understand.

Cheers!

I am no expert, but as I suggested before - I would not accuse that one of being cleaned from the pictures. I suspect the grader saw the other two as cleaned and carried his mindset over to the third in the group. Graders are human too - another problem with the whole principle of putting one's faith in grading companies!

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

I am no expert, but as I suggested before - I would not accuse that one of being cleaned from the pictures. I suspect the grader saw the other two as cleaned and carried his mindset over to the third in the group. Graders are human too - another problem with the whole principle of putting one's faith in grading companies!

I am not sure the coins were graded together. I only bought them as odd lots on the same day. So would think these came from different sellers. So pretty sure these were not graded at the same time.

Edited by UPINSMOKE

Then I can see no reason why they should put "cleaned" on that coin.

2 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

Anyone else have any input on the "cleaned" status of the above 3d please - I'm very interested to understand.

Cheers!

Perhaps it has something to do with the luster or patina that we cannot see. When they put these under ultra violet lights I am guessing that if it has been cleaned there will be a flat area or dull patch. The pics prob don't show it. Just my thought :)

But it looks fine from where I sit