British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Gaz T

Quite nice coins but horrible tones.

Hi all 

A few of the 1887 coins i have are in quite nice condition but the tone is not so good .

Some have really dark spots on them, some are really dark on one side, would this be due to me not turning them in my coin box for a long time?

Can anything be done to gain a better all over tone, without the horrible dark spots? Or best just left alone.

Thanks for any help.

victoria crown 1887 ob 001 (2).jpg

victoria crown 1887 rev 001 (2).jpg

victoria double florin 1887 ob 001 (2).jpg

victoria double florin 1887 rev 001 (2).jpg

victoria florin 1887 ob 001 (2).jpg

victoria florin 1887 rev 001 (2).jpg

victoria half crown ob 1887 001 (2).jpg

victoria half crown rev 1887 001 (2).jpg

victoria sixpence 1887 rev 001 (2).jpg

victoria sixpence ob 1887 001 (2).jpg

The crown and double florin looks OK. The black patch on the observe of half crown does look bad. The florin black spots are not quite as bad. 

If it were me, I would just sell off those two and buy better replacements. Dipping is an option but might or might not work and you will end up with two white coins at best. I suppose acetone is quite harmless but might not work on those spots.

If the spots weren't there initially, then I would suggest that the box you used might be somewhat suspect and as those spots are not natural toning. If it is one of those modern "1887 specimen boxes", then I would take the coins out and store them in quadrums / 2x2 / cabinet etc. The felt used in the box might be some inferior material or has some contaminants. 

To clean or not to clean. That is the question? All I can say is any piece of silver left to its own devices for over a hundred years will tarnish. Put another way any silver coin with some age on it that is bright has probably been cleaned. You can try a silver dip or bi carb of soda and Al foil with hot water but I fear the spots my take longer to remove and in doing so may remove the tone you wish to keep.

Here's what you can do:

1. get some silver dip (Goddards)

2. lower the ugliest coin into the dip for a MAXIMUM 10 seconds 

3. rinse immediately and thoroughly, and DAB (not wipe) dry with a clean towel

If it works but not sufficiently, then repeat ONCE ONLY.

Good luck!

I do try to rinse with a bit of liquid dish soap, rinse VERY well, and tamp dry after the dip bit...

I also had the same issue with a NGC slabbed 1922  MS 52 halfcrown.. I removed it from the slab and cleaned it with the Al. foil bicarb. of soda method and the results presented below. I know silver dip has been recommended but I think the foil method may be less destructive to the coin as it converts the silver sulfide directly back to metallic silver while emitting sulfurated hydrogen gas while silver dip is an acid that will etch the coin to remove the tarnish including some of the surface of the coin.I have previously posted these pictures but they seemed  to relate to this discussion.

1922 Halfcrown Before Clean.jpg

1922 Halfcrown After Clean.jpg

• Like 3

Very nice appearance there OZ!

Thanks VickySilver. I noticed an error in my post. It should read MS 62 not MS 52.

Sorry all for the late reply, just got my computer back from repair.

I had a go with soap and water on the half crown black spot but wouldn't touch it, so that's as far as i dare go. I don't mind them looking a little crabby:rolleyes: 

Ozjohn the half crown looks cracking now, well done.

And worlds better after your treatment, at least from the photos. I wish I could figure out how to downsize my resolution on iPhone to post on here.....

Similar issue for MS 62 1907 florin.Close examination of the coin shows that the marks are only uneven toning and the underlying coin is good. Has to be said the listing did not show the uneven toning. Do I break it out of the slab as with my 1922 halfcrown and dip in my bicarb/Al foil solution or leave as is and rely on the NGC appraisal? I think the reverse of the coin gives some clues regarding its true grade.

NGC MS 62 a.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
More info

Dip it, please! I don't think there is a lot to lose. 

Giving it serious thought. I hope the results are as dramatic as the 1922 halfcrown I removed from its slab and gave it the bicarb/Al foil treatment see this strand.. Can anyone tell me how much it costs to have a coin graded by NCG etc. as I have never had a coin slabbed?

No break them free!!! don't lock them up in those plastic prisons .....too much £  I am sure 

Campaign to free coins from plastic C.F.P LOL

• Like 1

Just scanned the coin for my record. Looks better than the photo I took.

img160.jpg

Still thinking about it as there is no hurry. I had a look at the coin in natural light on an angle and all the stripes on the obverse disappeared from view and the coin regained its MS look. This must have been how it was photographed for its Ebay listing. Still interested how much it would cost to have a coin such as this slabbed by PGGS/NGS.

Edited by ozjohn
Extra info.

These lower mint state coins on eBay can sometimes be quite the buy (not always though!) - I posted recently the 1848/6 shilling in MS61 that was a very nice win aaetheically.

Finally cleaned coin using Sodium bicarbonate and Al foil method. A definite improvement I think.

An aside to remove the coin from the slab I used a small hacksaw to cut across the slab

between the coin and the label then another cut along one side of the slab as far from the

coin as possible to avoid any damage.

Florin Ex CGS MS 62 After Clean.jpg

Edited by ozjohn
  • Like 4

Much better :) last time I was going to send off coins to ngc was 2 years ago and it was I think $38 for coins of value under $500 i'll check later

ngc.jpg

Edited by zookeeperz