British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
BobTyke

Terrible Journalism

Certainly a load of bo**ox. But at least the comments below the article are realistic.

Jerry

Worse still is the apparent belief that eBay listings are reliable and trustworthy.

5 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Worse still is the apparent belief that eBay listings are reliable and trustworthy.

It's not that so much as the apparent belief that asking price = selling price. :rolleyes:

3 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

It's not that so much as the apparent belief that asking price = selling price. :rolleyes:

I would certainly say that any listing claiming any bronze coin dated 1971 was "ultra rare", is neither reliable or trustworthy. In fact, it's a downright untruth. Any journalist who accepts such garbage on face value, is a fool.

Edited by Peckris
  • Like 1

Indeed.I think we can safely say that the entire article is a complete crock. :) 

• Like 1

And we'll probably see a rush of more people coming here with the usual questions.

I motion for a sticky post~:

Do you have a "New 2 pence"

Does it have a date of 1983 :

if Yes, cha-ching, you can make some cash!!

If No, you are still poor.

I looked on ebay new listings late last night and there are so many of these "rare" 2p's being listed....unbelievable.

I bet Ebay are feeding these stories to the Mail for their own benefit!

Jerry

Whilst browsing Ebay I also noticed Benjamin Britton and Johnson dictionary 50p's were being listed as rare and for silly money.

I checked my change pot and out of approx 30 50p's I had both. I wish the BNTA would issue a statement with the facts on all these face value tat decimal coins.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jelida said:

I bet Ebay are feeding these stories to the Mail for their own benefit!

Jerry

There is one difference that should be noted. Although they call themselves "The daily Mail or "The mail online". They have nothing to do with the newspaper with the same name. They are fantasists at best :)  . Known today as "Fake News"

Edited by zookeeperz

4 minutes ago, Peter said:

Whilst browsing Ebay I also noticed Benjamin Britton and Johnson dictionary 50p's were being listed as rare and for silly money.

I checked my change pot and out of approx 30 50p's I had both. I wish the BNTA would issue a statement with the facts on all these face value tat decimal coins.

Here's the back story. again down to fake news online. Benjamin Britton Silver proof or the piedfort I cannot remember which as all the commemoratives get allocation of said amount that can be struck. I think with those it was 5000. The fact that nobody wanted the coins and very little interest was shown at all they only had orders for just under 1000 (figure changes with story you read) . The fake news boys "The daily mail online" got wind of a 50 pence that only has a mintage of 1000 coins and all are sold(which is not the truth or anywhere near it). These coins could be worth £500 each. So now BB 50p hysteria ensues everyone and his granny is now after this coin (a coin that couldn't even fill it's quota). So the coin that was forgotten now becomes a national rarity because the fake man spun a BS story and it wouldn't surprise me if the RM itself isn't lurking somewhere in the background

8 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

There is one difference that should be noted. Although they call themselves "The daily Mail or "The mail online". They have nothing to do with the newspaper with the same name. They are fantasists at best :)  . Known today as "Fake News"

What you say is "fake news"! The Mail Online is absolutely the online arm of the newspaper (aka xenophobic toilet paper).

This is what the site says:

MailOnline publishes content produced by its own editorial team as well as content from the Daily Mail newspaper and The Mail on Sunday newspaper.

If you wish to contact MailOnline, Daily Mail or The Mail on Sunday, please choose the appropriate tab below.

Just now, Peckris said:

What you say is "fake news"! The Mail Online is absolutely the online arm of the newspaper (aka xenophobic toilet paper).

This is what the site says:

MailOnline publishes content produced by its own editorial team as well as content from the Daily Mail newspaper and The Mail on Sunday newspaper.

If you wish to contact MailOnline, Daily Mail or The Mail on Sunday, please choose the appropriate tab below.

Shouldn't they have added PLC? or is that their erroneous way of not looking to be part of the real group?

They wouldn't be allowed to call themselves MailOnline and use the logo, if they weren't part of the same group. They'd have been taken down or sued long ago.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Peckris said:

They wouldn't be allowed to call themselves MailOnline and use the logo, if they weren't part of the same group. They'd have been taken down or sued long ago.

Well if that is the case it's even more damning . Wikipedia banned the daily mail for using unreliable information and sources are now found elsewhere.

Edited by zookeeperz
  • Like 1

Wikimedia Foundation office in San Francisco, US. Photograph: Eric Risberg/AP

Wikipedia editors have voted to ban the Daily Mail as a source for the website in all but exceptional circumstances after deeming the news group “generally unreliable”.

The move is highly unusual for the online encyclopaedia, which rarely puts in place a blanket ban on publications and which still allows links to sources such as Kremlin backed news organisation Russia Today, and Fox News, both of which have raised concern among editors.

The editors described the arguments for a ban as “centred on the Daily Mail’s reputation for poor fact checking, sensationalism and flat-out fabrication”.

The Wikimedia Foundation, which runs Wikipedia but does not control its editing processes, said in a statement that volunteer editors on English Wikipedia had discussed the reliability of the Mail since at least early 2015.

It said: “Based on the requests for comments section [on the reliable sources noticeboard], volunteer editors on English Wikipedia have come to a consensus that the Daily Mail is ‘generally unreliable and its use as a reference is to be generally prohibited, especially when other more reliable sources exist’.

• Like 1

In otherwords the mails full of bullshit

• Like 1

1 hour ago, copper123 said:

In otherwords the mails full of bullshit

Did you see their trust pilot rating lmao 1.2/10 :)

Just like the Hitchikers guide to the galaxy (second edition) said the earth was "Mostly harmless"

The mail is "Mostly bullshit"

• Like 5

Another highly sought-after release is the Sir Isaac Newton 50p, but you won’t find it in your spare change. This coin is only available from the Royal Mint Experience in Llantrisant, Wales – and you’ll need to strike it yourself. Currently these coins are selling for around £40 on eBay.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/03/with-the-future-of-1p-and-2p-coins-under-scrutiny-is-your-small-change-worth-a-fortune/ - Which?

More bulshit this time copied and pasted from the BBC (god help us if they cannot get it right the mail certainly can't)

Another highly sought-after release is the Sir Isaac Newton 50p, but you won’t find it in your spare change. This coin is only available from the Royal Mint Experience in Llantrisant, Wales – and you’ll need to strike it yourself. Currently these coins are selling for around £40 on eBay.

Read more: https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/03/with-the-future-of-1p-and-2p-coins-under-scrutiny-is-your-small-change-worth-a-fortune/ - Which?

A couple of quite extraordinary eBay results there : someone paid £5.99 for a 1971 1p? :o I've a fortune in my attic, then.

And a circulated 1983 2p error only made £25 despite the wear? :o I'd bet that if more people had spotted that, it would have gone for a lot more.

Back to the BBC  have they got nobody who can search ebay compleated listings to find out that a issac newton 50p fetches  £3.50 if picked out of pocket change .

Surely this information is freely available to 60 million uk residents and indeed the whole 7,000 000000 residents of planet earth as long as they have the internet

Wow....the only person who uses 'Pfffft' more skilfully than that  is Homer Simpson......:)

• Like 1