British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Matteo95

Export License

Hi all :)

At the last Timeline auction I won this lot https://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=4534&category=128220&lot=3720093   attracted in particular by his provenance .

Anyway I see from the auction's website that it is has been requested the export license for this lot; do you know more or less how much time is requested to obtain it ? I bought dozens of time from UK auctions but this is the first time that happens to me , is it a consequence of Brexit ??

Thanks to all :)

Matteo

Export licenses are required for any important artefact or antique subject to the rules here. http://www.artscouncil.org.uk/export-controls/export-licensing

It's basically designed to ensure that national treasures don't get sold abroad when there is a good case to be made for keeping them at home.

The Coenwulf gold penny was a good example of the licensing system in action as it provided for funds to be raised at home to ensure that the item didn't leave the country.

Edited by Rob
  • Like 1

Thanks Rob ,

yes there is also here in Italy a similar procedure . However I was wondering why in this case it has been requested while for many others coins I bought ( in some cases also older and rarer ) not. Does it just depends by different auction policies or during the the last months it is changed something ?

Depends on what you bought. In this case i can't see an issue, but note that it was part of a recorded hoard. I think the rules for hoards and individual finds are different. For a start, more than one coin in the same place is deemed a hoard and reportable whereas a single coin is deemed a loss and doesn't need to be subject to coroner's ruling. The coin is now in 'the system', which might have a bearing on the requirements.

Edited by Rob

Yes I think you are right... Before I was thinking that this is not my first coin from a UK hoard , however they are not so recents ( 90s ) and so even there are papers dedicated they can't be in the system.

When we do a coin fair in America any coin over the value of 37,000gbp (i think, the figure is around this value) needs an export licence, you have to provide a picture, provenance, value etc, if they are happy with the information provided it normally takes around 7 days. Its a real hassle though but necessary.

all to do with the said governments wanting to keep historical items in their own country so if you want to free the article from its native home you need to pay the man. Depending on value and age. :)

54 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

all to do with the said governments wanting to keep historical items in their own country so if you want to free the article from its native home you need to pay the man. Depending on value and age. :)

The cynic in me would say it's nothing whatsoever to do with keeping historical items in their own country, but seeing the opportunity to generate some cash. :rolleyes:

If they really wanted to keep it, you wouldn't be able to buy it (legitimately).

• Like 2

11 hours ago, NRP said:

When we do a coin fair in America any coin over the value of 37,000gbp (i think, the figure is around this value) needs an export licence, you have to provide a picture, provenance, value etc, if they are happy with the information provided it normally takes around 7 days. Its a real hassle though but necessary.

LOL. I don't think there are too many coins valued at over £37k !!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NRP said:

Think your spending to much time in Baldwin Neil £37K +;)

Need to get you back in Manchester to the real world of Rang and 99p on ebay :lol:

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Peckris said:

LOL. I don't think there are too many coins valued at over £37k !!

You'd be surprised how many were over that value for our auction in New York, we had to ship all the items out there so they could be viewed at the show. Plus we do have one or two items over that value in stock ;-)

Neil, if you're shipping out for a fair, with or without export licence, do you need to have an A.T.A. Carnet?