British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
zookeeperz

1826 Half Penny Roman I for 1

I have actively searched for these coins seeing as the farthings had the Roman I for 1 and a few of our silver denoms had them. Well about 3 years ago I found 1 wasn't in too bad condition VF . Sold it and have looked for another since then. At last I have located a 2nd  1826 halfpenny with roman I for 1 . Fom memory it looks the same as in the style and boldness as the one I sold on. This one not in as good a condition but nevertheless it's a rare coin be interested to know if any of you guys hold one in your collections :)

1826romaniobv-tile.jpg

Few and far between, I found it in 2011, looked for a Penny thinking it could have been a Copper set originally, but have never found one

CHP1826Oa.jpg

Images not working, think my new blocker is in overdrive

Edited by Chingford

On 12/03/2018 at 4:07 PM, zookeeperz said:

I have actively searched for these coins seeing as the farthings had the Roman I for 1 and a few of our silver denoms had them. Well about 3 years ago I found 1 wasn't in too bad condition VF . Sold it and have looked for another since then. At last I have located a 2nd  1826 halfpenny with roman I for 1 . Fom memory it looks the same as in the style and boldness as the one I sold on. This one not in as good a condition but nevertheless it's a rare coin be interested to know if any of you guys hold one in your collections :)

1826romaniobv-tile.jpg

I Have a nice clear one

21 hours ago, Chingford said:

Few and far between, I found it in 2011, looked for a Penny thinking it could have been a Copper set originally, but have never found one

CHP1826Oa.jpg

1826 Roman I Close up.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Chingford said:

CHP1826Oa.jpg

Any idea why this exists John? It doesn't look like a proper Roman I punch to me - more as though it was entered upside down and then repunched normally. Is that a possibility? :huh:

On 3/12/2018 at 4:07 PM, zookeeperz said:

Sold it and have looked for another since then.

Seems to me you could have kept it and saved yourself a lot of trouble. :P

2 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

Seems to me you could have kept it and saved yourself a lot of trouble. :P

I wanted a near mint version. Coins never stay long with me. I think I have said before I am a kind of go between finding the best homes for coins that would otherwise just rot in a tin somewhere. Of course a few extra quid never hurts :) . But I know all the coins I have moved on and some are  members from here have ended up in the correct collections in my mind. My only trouble is letting them go lol which sounds daft. I still have a few irons in fires some unlisted oddities still to surface. I catalogue them then as I search and search they go in to that draw called safe keeping and probably never surface again. Until I remember where safe keeping is :)

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

Any idea why this exists John? It doesn't look like a proper Roman I punch to me - more as though it was entered upside down and then repunched normally. Is that a possibility? :huh:

It is possible that the 1 was inverted then corrected, a few coins struck before a final fill, but then you would expect to see examples with the impression of the filled part on some well struck CHP1826 as you do with other over dates and legend repairs.

With there being a Farthing recorded I thought there might be a Penny out there making a set.

I have seen four of these Halfpennies in hand and read a Error Halfpenny/Farthing webpage identifying it as a variety some time ago, I emailed the Author Joe, but received no reply, He had  four listed. but I couldn't eliminate any of these as duplicates from my own, London Coins have sold two and Zookeeper has had two. Therefore between 4-12 currently known but I am sure the numbers will rise once collections are checked through

Thanks. I didn't know about the farthing.

I checked my collection but it didn't affect the numbers. :(