British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hideho

Is this worth anything please?

Hi all!

I have absolutely no knowledge of coins and would be grateful for your expert help. I did email the Royal Mint but they didn't reply.

I read through the Forum to see if this has cropped up before, but couldn.t see anything relevant, so I am hoping I won't be shot down in flames for wasting your time...

Anyway, please see the attached pictures and let me know whether this is a genuine coin that someone has put in a press for some reason, or whether it is a dud that has missed quality control.

Obviously, I am hoping it is the latter and, if so, maybe it is worth something.

I have several pictures but due to the size restrictions I can only upload one.

Thanks in advance....

20180308_201904.jpg

It looks genuine to me, an off-centre strike I think.

mrbadexample - thank you for the reply. Is that common? Am I rich beyond my wildest dreams? B)

7 minutes ago, Hideho said:

mrbadexample - thank you for the reply. Is that common? Am I rich beyond my wildest dreams? B)

Probably not "rich" but worth a few quid! There is no guide price for this sort of thing, particularly being so recent.

Your best bet is to list it on Ebay with full description and lots of pictures and let others make their mind up as to it's value. I would start it at £10 to make it worth the effort - it may go for that or a lot more depending on the view the error collectors take on it.

Here's a similar one that went for £10 on eBay. Some people are asking silly money, but aren't selling them so starting at £10 sounds about right. I may be wrong, but it seems to me that this error is likely due to a mis-seated collar, resulting in half the edge being properly struck and the other half not.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/new-2016-1-one-pound-coin-rare-error-/253474086640?epid=829994978&hash=item3b043b9ef0%3Ag%3AohsAAOSwvktahmlv&nma=true&si=wb3%252F7Lu3U%252FDqU04OCZQg9cu7Bu4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Edited by DaveG38

3 hours ago, Hideho said:

Sadly, I think the aforementioned tenner is in the ballpark. ;)