British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
markflorida

Sheldon Scale (PCGS & NGC) Vers CGS / Uk Grades

This is a table I use for my customers and myself. It is not 100% perfect between the grades but as good as I can determine. 

(Sheldon Scale is the 70 point grading scale that was created by American Bill Sheldon) and is what is used in the United States and around the world now. 

CGS Numerical Grade

Average Raw UK Grade

Average Standard USA Sheldon

FDC

MS70

FDC

MS70

FDC

MS70

FDC

MS70

FDC

M69+

FDC

MS69

AFDC

MS68+

AFDC

MS68

AFDC

MS67+

AFDC

MS67

NFDC

MS66

BU -NFDC

MS65+

Choice UNC - BU

MS65

Choice UNC

MS 64+

Choice UNC

MS 64

UNC

MS 63

UNC or near so

MS 62

AU

MS62

GEF

MS61

EF

AU58 - MS60

NEF

AU55

GVF

AU55

GVF

AU 53

VF

AU 50

NVF

XF 45

GF

XF 40

GF

XF35

F

XF30

NF

XF20

VG

XF15

VG

VG10

GOOD

VG8

FAIR

G4

FAIR

G3

FAIR

G2

FAIR

G1

• Like 1

How can a coin in VF be thought of as AU, by any stretch of the imagination? I mean, it just isn't. Not even close.

As has been said several times before, that table (produced by London Coins) is considered by many to be biased in favour of the CGS scale. E.g. I don't think CGS 80 is generally choice UNC or is really equivalent to PCGS / NCG MS64.

Perhaps the UK and Australia should abandon the UNC, EF etc. and it's attendant undefined micro grades abt. near and adopt the Shelden  scale which offers a far more systematic method of grading coins.  0 - 100 scale adopted by CGS offers a similar advantage however given that the Shelden scale has been in place for a long time it should be adopted in favor.

I don't really get all this, if I'm honest. I can cope with F, VF, EF & UNC. How can something be nFDC, aFDC or one of the 6 different levels of FDC? How can MS70 be CGS 97, or 3 points higher at 100? 

I've given up and adopted Rob's two-point grading system: acceptable or not. :)

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I've come to this view too, if your happy with the look of a coin (or token in my case) and the price is acceptable for me that's the end of the discussion! I'm sure many will disagree though

There is no reason for any grading system to be considered better than another, its all down to individual preference. As a beginner grading is difficult to get your head around and having a limited number of options is a benefit. If we only had the Sheldon scale most would just give up and call it a day. If however you are buying and selling for profit then I can see the logic in having a system that allows for a wider spread of grades which give a person more opportunities to differentiate between grades especially at the higher end.

For me its just horses for courses, I am just an average collector and have no interest in buying and selling to make money, so using the standards of F, VF, and EF etc works for me and sticks to the KISS principle that I like to work with. 

If on the other hand you are a more serious collector then maybe the Sheldon scale is for you.

There's room for everyone:D

• Like 1

Big Bang has a lot to answer for. I'm absolutely certain that Sheldon had nothing to do with the scale as he certainly wouldn't cope with 11 different categories of a statement of fact, namely, uncirculated. It's one of these sort of/very/extremely unique scenarios. :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I find it a very easy system to work with ;)

16 hours ago, ozjohn said:

Perhaps the UK and Australia should abandon the UNC, EF etc. and it's attendant undefined micro grades abt. near and adopt the Shelden  scale which offers a far more systematic method of grading coins.  0 - 100 scale adopted by CGS offers a similar advantage however given that the Shelden scale has been in place for a long time it should be adopted in favor.

I do like the Sheldon system, but as for abandoning UNC, EF etc in the UK and Australia, that's not going to happen anytime soon.  

16 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I don't really get all this, if I'm honest. I can cope with F, VF, EF & UNC. How can something be nFDC, aFDC or one of the 6 different levels of FDC? How can MS70 be CGS 97, or 3 points higher at 100? 

I haven't encountered that. Is it possible to take a butchers?

4 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I first encountered it here (on my birthday, as it happens): 

I guess it looks something like this:

1. Acceptable

2. Not acceptable

Sorry. :P

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

That's what you do. Have a look. Look for as many reasons as possible as to why you wouldn't buy it. Compare it to the other items you have previously researched to ascertain where it stands in the pecking order gradewise. If it is in the top few and aesthetically ok then rule 1 applies unless there is one outstanding example out of a few known and the rest are crap. Hobson's Choice, you apply rule 1. If I haven't researched the available options, then more often than not I will move on, even if it seemed ok. Sometimes you regret not buying at the time, but more often not. If I know there are a few decent examples available then I avoid simply ticking the box as I know I will upgrade later if the right thing comes along. Things that only become available once every generation tend to fall under rule 1, as do coins with an impressive provenance.

1 hour ago, Rob said:

That's what you do. Have a look. Look for as many reasons as possible as to why you wouldn't buy it. Compare it to the other items you have previously researched to ascertain where it stands in the pecking order gradewise. If it is in the top few and aesthetically ok then rule 1 applies unless there is one outstanding example out of a few known and the rest are crap. Hobson's Choice, you apply rule 1. If I haven't researched the available options, then more often than not I will move on, even if it seemed ok. Sometimes you regret not buying at the time, but more often not. If I know there are a few decent examples available then I avoid simply ticking the box as I know I will upgrade later if the right thing comes along. Things that only become available once every generation tend to fall under rule 1, as do coins with an impressive provenance.

Thanks. Sounds a useful way forward. I sort of do that now.