British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

interNumi

Victoria Penny 1844 Double date

Hello!

I can not find any similar and nothing in varieties.

Is it interesting coin?

1844.jpg

1844-2.jpg

• Like 1

Just a repunched date to extend the life of the die I assume. The first I of VICTORIA might have had similar treatment.

16 hours ago, interNumi said:

Hello!

Is it interesting coin?

Interesting in that very many dies in this series have the dates and other parts of the legend recut / repunched, so it's a clear example of that. You won't find it listed as a variety though.

Here is another example of fully doubled date, but this time on an 1844 with plain tails to 4's.

Doubled parts of the legend (including full date) I have seen quite often within the Victorian Copper penny series.

My feeling is that this is due to the mechanics of striking the coin (die bounce?) rather than intended human repairs. Having said that, there are undoubtedly also many examples of legend / date repairs within this same series.......but generally to individual letters / numbers rather than 4 in a row.

1844 Pain Tails 4's Doubled Date.jpg

7 hours ago, alfnail said:

Here is another example of fully doubled date, but this time on an 1844 with plain tails to 4's.

Doubled parts of the legend (including full date) I have seen quite often within the Victorian Copper penny series.

My feeling is that this is due to the mechanics of striking the coin (die bounce?) rather than intended human repairs. Having said that, there are undoubtedly also many examples of legend / date repairs within this same series.......but generally to individual letters / numbers rather than 4 in a row.

1844 Pain Tails 4's Doubled Date.jpg

Good point - would you see recut numerals all offset by exactly the same degree? You might if the whole date was on a single punch but as we know, they never were.

If it were die bounce would we see evidence of this elsewhere on the coin and not just on the date?

Indeed Ian. Here is another 1844 with fully doubled date, this time with 'tails up' to 4's, same as original post, and you can see that all the letters in GRATIA are also doubled.

I will send digital microscope close up of date on this coin in separate post to follow, as not easy to see doubled date on this full obverse shot.

1844 Doubled Date Full Obverse.jpg

.....and the promised doubled date close up on this same coin. Colour differences due to digital microscope, but it is definitely same coin which you can verify by examining the small carbon spot to the LHS of the cross bar on the second numeral 4.............so a fully doubled date and also a fully doubled GRATIA on this example

1844 Tails Up 4's Doubled Date.jpg

On 06/03/2018 at 7:34 PM, interNumi said:

Hello!

Is it interesting coin?

1844.jpg

1844-2.jpg

Regardless of double strike, it is an amazing looking coin, the tone is pretty awesome