British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

1922 Farthing - massive die crack or PMD?

I have started photographing and filing my Farthings - I will post the collection in the Members forum when I am done. 

I came across this one - 1922 farthing with what appears to be a massive die crack across the obverse. Or is it PMD? The crack does seem to go under the letters in the legend?

*** Ignore all this! As I should have known the die crack would be raised not incuse, so the long line is just an odd scratch. There is a die crack at the base of the bust, but not nearly so prominent. ***

1922 F 1 Red.JPG

1922 F 2 Red.JPG

Edited by Paddy
Correction

A die crack would appear raised Paddy, like the one at the base of the neck. PMD for me. :)

Edit: Actually, it appears to run under the 2nd G so perhaps present before striking?

Edited by mrbadexample

I seem to have replied to the pre-edited post. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Yes it looks to run under the letters - struck through wire?

4 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Yes it looks to run under the letters - struck through wire?

Something that appears to be underneath is actually at the top of the die ?.

If that makes sense :D

Looking again could this not just be a flaw in the flan as a scratch would show over the top of the letters.

Or maybe it does and i just cant see it .

Can someone tell me what it is please as its bugging me :)

PMD? - if you look very carefully there are marks on the O at the top, and there also appears to be some faint marking on the G bottom, and the scratch seems to have been deflected by the curve of the G. What's more, the scratch inside the G seems lighter than the scratch across the portrait. If the damage had been present before striking, you would expect to see consistency either side of the legend.

• Like 1