British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Ed I York Penny - Everyone happy with 3b?

Difficult one as the collar and crown are not especially clear. Looking at Bente & Withers, I'd say these are as good as any pellets demonstrated in the crowns they show - spearheads are much larger and angular, so what do you think? I know some pellets are large and very round but, equally, they are shown to be small too.

The collar...some of the images show very squared off collars, and I'm guessing mine would run across the neck but for the weakness?

So, to save me looking for a die match, what do we all think?

The old collector ticket suggests 3b, not that I ever go by those.

Edward I York Penny resize.jpg

york penny ticket resize.jpg

• Like 3

Definitely 3b, there are quite a lot of dies used for 3b, No York coins for 3a or 3bc transitional so any York coins with pellets in crown have to be, by default, 3b

4 hours ago, davetmoneyer said:

Definitely 3b, there are quite a lot of dies used for 3b, No York coins for 3a or 3bc transitional so any York coins with pellets in crown have to be, by default, 3b

Thanks, Dave, much appreciated. I ask again, where is all this info. stored? In your own records, or spread out across endless articles? Will you be putting together an Edward I tome anytime soon? 👍

Info from JJ North and Galata Guides, and my own 50 years exp with Edward I

• Like 1

On 23/02/2018 at 10:52 AM, Coinery said:

Difficult one as the collar and crown are not especially clear. Looking at Bente & Withers, I'd say these are as good as any pellets demonstrated in the crowns they show - spearheads are much larger and angular, so what do you think? I know some pellets are large and very round but, equally, they are shown to be small too.

The collar...some of the images show very squared off collars, and I'm guessing mine would run across the neck but for the weakness?

So, to save me looking for a die match, what do we all think?

The old collector ticket suggests 3b, not that I ever go by those.

Edward I York Penny resize.jpg

york penny ticket resize.jpg

Just realised this is the glendinings sale of F Elmore Jones’ collection. Lot 1262 then I’m guessing?

• Like 1