British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

will1976

Knights Templar Medalet

Good Afternoon all,

Strictly speaking not a coin but definitely 'non British'

I've identified this as a commemorative of the 500th anniversary of the imprisonment of the Knights Templar at Domme, what puzzles me is the Latin 'id occulte fere' which translates as 'almost disguise' on google. Is this translation correct and if so can anyone tell me the relevance of it and of the woman. Also I'd like opinions on whether members think this is an 1807 strike or later restrike. Medalet weighs 10gm and is 28mm in diameter with no marks/signatures possibly in silver

IMGP3797.JPG

IMGP3798.JPG

Is there anything written on the edge? I have found reference in the American Journal of Numismatics online where they were discussing any Masonic relevance to a very similar medal, but that had   "john broadley ld elect may 1" engraved on the edge.

I am also getting other translations: "This almost to herself" and "ie almost to herself" which fits better with the motif.

46 minutes ago, Paddy said:

Is there anything written on the edge? I have found reference in the American Journal of Numismatics online where they were discussing any Masonic relevance to a very similar medal, but that had   "john broadley ld elect may 1" engraved on the edge.

Hi Paddy.....there is nothing at all written on the edge. Could you post a link to the site? I'd like to have a look and compare. Yes that definitely fits more with the motif but how it ties in with the 'knights' I don't know

Hi Will,

OK - I got it through google searching on "id occulte fere" in quotes - only three hits and two refer to the Americn Journal of Numismatics. This is number 1: https://archive.org/stream/AJN1896Vols31to32/AJN1896Vols31to32_djvu.txt and then if you do a search on "occulte" within the page you will find the article. It is very disjointed - I am not sure of the context, but definitely implies an inscription on the edge.

Another thought - if you do a translate on "Fere id Occulte" you get "Mostly within herself", which could also be "Mostly hidden in herself" - which seems a fairly Freemason/Knights Templar sot of motto.

Good luck!

Thanks for that Paddy I will have a look and see what's what

Is it just me, or does she have the head of a dog?

knight's templar

(What's going on? I can only add the attachment as a downloadable link, not as a picture in the post.)

knight's templar.jpg

Mystery solved - an image has to have the extension .jpg for this forum, even it is already a jpeg. Which is totally pants! 

Edited by Peckris
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Peckris said:

Is it just me, or does she have the head of a dog?

Lol :D I couldn't see it at first but on closer inspection spotted it....it's all I can see now!

• Like 2