British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

PNMY

1804 Bank of England Dollar Enigma

Can anyone advise if the 1804 Bank of England Dollar, produced at the Soho Mint in Birmingham, was actually minted with the top leaf of head points to right side of E in silver?

Does anyone have knowledge of William Booth Forgeries of the same?

Hi PNMY, welcome to Predecimal coins!

I can't say I know the answer to your query - it took me a moment to work out what your query was. I certainly know nothing of the William Booth forgeries you mention.

I have one dollar of my own, pictures below. I believe this to be genuine, and the leaves at the top of the head do point slightly to the right of the letter E above. Does this help?

1804 Dollar 2 Red.JPG

1804 Dollar 1 Red.JPG

Yes, ESC records the first leaf pointing to the right of the E, the upright of the E (as Paddy's above) or the middle of the E, like mine:

BOE dollar 1804 (3).jpg

15 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Yes, ESC records the first leaf pointing to the right of the E, the upright of the E (as Paddy's above) or the middle of the E, like mine:

BOE dollar 1804 (3).jpg

Thanks - but not quite to the right - refer image I have uploaded.

16 hours ago, Rob said:

There are various pointings of the laurel leaves, but without a picture of yours it is impossible to say whether it's ok. If the weight is right then it's likely to be good.

Seuk's pages on G3 counterfeits is the best reference. http://www.steppeulvene.com/index.george_iii.html

16 hours ago, PNMY said:

Can anyone advise if the 1804 Bank of England Dollar, produced at the Soho Mint in Birmingham, was actually minted with the top leaf of head points to right side of E in silver?

Does anyone have knowledge of William Booth Forgeries of the same?

16 hours ago, Rob said:

There are various pointings of the laurel leaves, but without a picture of yours it is impossible to say whether it's ok. If the weight is right then it's likely to be good.

Seuk's pages on G3 counterfeits is the best reference. http://www.steppeulvene.com/index.george_iii.html

1804 George III Dollar RtE Dot_O.jpg

Edited by PNMY
wrong input

Thanks Rob - helpful but not quite matches laurel to the right - refer image I have uploaded. I know the coin to be counterfeit - plate sandwich type with core of copper. It does not match any modern counterfeit that I can find. It is 0.3g lighter than a normal dollar. The interesting side to the coin is the edge - there is evidence1804 George III Dollar RtE Dot_O.jpg of squares and rectangles to edge of coin as can be found on normal dollars, except that the pattern is offset - similar to counterfeit 8 Reales originally issued by the mint from 1796.

IMG_0050 3.jpg

It looks a good fit for the leaf to the end of E. CHK should be close which yours is, so both are in general agreement. The kink in the forehead looks sharper on yours than most, but that could be down to strength of striking.

PM Seuk and see what he has to say.

2 hours ago, PNMY said:

Thanks - but not quite to the right - refer image I have uploaded.

Hi PNMY, I did note that mine was a middle pointing (ESC 1951, no stop after REX).

The detail on the edge is interesting. Please let us know your findings. :)

Edited by mrbadexample