British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Martinminerva

Surely this is a modern replica or forgery??

Just seen this on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1841-halfcrown/183076706631?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Both reverse and particularly obverse are completely "wrong" - bust, date numerals, legend font. I believe it is yet another of these replicas that are all over the numismatic world, yet worry that someone is going to get seriously burnt. Bids are already well over £300.

Do members concur?

There is also a genuine, slabbed one, on the site Buy it Now for £3900, which backs up my opinion. See https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-1841-HALFCROWN-VICTORIA-349/222843579237?hash=item33e2832b65:g:3fYAAOSwsm1ZvnU4

Hope no-one here is bidding on the replica one!!

The unslabbed one certainly doesn't look the same as the slabbed one. :(

58 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

Just seen this on eBay.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1841-halfcrown/183076706631?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649

Both reverse and particularly obverse are completely "wrong" - bust, date numerals, legend font. I believe it is yet another of these replicas that are all over the numismatic world, yet worry that someone is going to get seriously burnt. Bids are already well over £300.

Do members concur?

There is also a genuine, slabbed one, on the site Buy it Now for £3900, which backs up my opinion. See https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-RARE-1841-HALFCROWN-VICTORIA-349/222843579237?hash=item33e2832b65:g:3fYAAOSwsm1ZvnU4

Hope no-one here is bidding on the replica one!!

If that's not a jeckle I am long john silver Its cast mushy toot IMO

Perhaps it should be the policy of members of this forum to report these items en mass. Ebay policy (which they often ignore) states that replica / repro/ copies should be marked as such. This may help to spread of these items to dishonest people who relist them as genuine. It would certainly put more pressure on Ebay to inforce their own rules.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/matts9918/m.html

Look at that lot. Be catching a few people out if they are relisted as geniune. 

Edited by Ukstu

17 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

Perhaps it should be the policy of members of this forum to report these items en mass. Ebay policy (which they often ignore) states that replica / repro/ copies should be marked as such. This may help to spread of these items to dishonest people who relist them as genuine. It would certainly put more pressure on Ebay to inforce their own rules.

Hardly worth the bother. I report most things I see on here but they never disappear. ebay don't care what it is, only that it sells and they make money. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, ozjohn said:

We have for quite a while now and was the reason for the thread been actively reporting anything suspect or misleading bur ebay answer only to their shareholders. In fact they actively support fraud as premium ebay sellers have protective feedback ratings. So even if you did give a 0% rating it would never show up. I have reported at least 50 fake sales and all are still trading the same garbage. It needs a big concern like watchdog to swoop on them

• Like 1

At the moment items are reported randomly  as I do. What I am suggesting is a concentrated effort from this forum to ebay. So instead of a complaint from just me or perhaps a couple of complaints elsewhere they receive many complaints for each unmarked replica item that is listed. perhaps it will work or perhaps not but at least it is worth trying and it takes little effort on the part of the individual to report an item.

Method. Click on Report Item in the listing. Select Report Category. Select Prohibited & Restricted items, Select  Reason for report, Select Stamps currency and coins. Select Detailed reason. Select Replica coins, replica paper money and replica stamps. You will then get an information popup:  The item in this listing is a replica coin, replica paper money or replica stamp that has not been clearly marked as a reproduction, replica or copy.

Then press Submit, Note this popup clearly states that Ebay's policy is reproductions should be identified on the item NOT the listing of this fact.

I do feel that Ebay is more likely to take action to remove these items if they receive multiple complaints for each listing of this type.

Edited by ozjohn
typos

We do all that John. Unfortunately once an items been bid on that's it , eBay won't pull it. We've posted thousands of items on here under ebays worst offerings that probably 25-30 people alone from these forums have reported to no avail. 99 % of fake /fraudulent items complete sale. We see it time and time again and we are following correct reporting procedures and processes. Ebay do not give a damn. It's all about money to them. 

Edited by Ukstu

Yes, very nasty copy.

I also routinely report any fakes, replicas etc.  to eBay when spotted as I did with this one.

Perhaps the solution is to make the winning bid and then not pay stating it is in fact a replica. Nothing the seller can do.

3 minutes ago, youliveyoulean said:

Perhaps the solution is to make the winning bid and then not pay stating it is in fact a replica. Nothing the seller can do.

I've often thought about doing just that. Win the auction, give it a couple of hours then send the seller a message saying "I'm terribly sorry but I can't go through with this transaction as I've since been advised that it's fake." I don't see how ebay could take any action against you, although you might be limited in the number of times you'd get away with the same trick. Perhaps we should take it in turns? :lol:

Sorry just realised the item has been withdrawn? In that case probably an honest mistake. I would hope you could get away with bidding as many times as you like as long as it is in fact a replica and you have reasonable information to demonstrate as such - or else ebay is assisting criminal activity so they would have to back you up. Seller would probably block you first time round though if they are indeed a crook.

12 minutes ago, youliveyoulean said:

Sorry just realised the item has been withdrawn? 

Probably enough of us reported it. Perhaps ebay have a magic number. 10 reports won't do it, but maybe if it hits 50 they pull it. Who knows?

2 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Probably enough of us reported it. Perhaps ebay have a magic number. 10 reports won't do it, but maybe if it hits 50 they pull it. Who knows?

That's my point. Complain on an organised scale to maximise the effect. 

29 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

And here's another one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-rare-1841-Queen-victorion-half-crown-Used-condition/233189694440?hash=item364b305be8:g:mosAAOSwaQtcp0hX

which is so obviously a copy / replica, yet seller is starting at £500 !

Beware!

Looks real enough to me, just worn but a rarer date

37 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

And here's another one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-rare-1841-Queen-victorion-half-crown-Used-condition/233189694440?hash=item364b305be8:g:mosAAOSwaQtcp0hX

Beware!

Also looks dodgy to me.  The date is not in the usual place for an 1840s halfrcrown and the G in GRATIA is decidedly wonky.

Edited by Nick

36 minutes ago, Martinminerva said:

And here's another one:

Beware!

I would be suspicious too, it has that soapy dullness of a high nickel alloy and you should not get bright green verd on a sterling silver coin. There are many replica early Victorian silver coins cast ‘pre-worn’.

Jerry

1 hour ago, azda said:

Looks real enough to me, just worn but a rarer date

Surely not?! The date numerals are the wrong size and font, and as the seller says:

This is a very rare 1841 Queen Victorian Half crown. Condition very used please see all photos. Widht is 32mm. Weight is 11.8 grams. So alot of weight loss with age. When minted coin weight approx 14 grams. Only 42.768 minted . London minted. This is a very rare date and highly collectable coin so price is based on low end of value.  Stunning coin.

which is far too much underweight for any Viccy halfcrown - even ones worn smooth tend to be over 12 g, and this hasn't got that much "wear". Something decidedly wrong with it for me...

1 hour ago, Martinminerva said:

Surely not?! The date numerals are the wrong size and font, and as the seller says:

This is a very rare 1841 Queen Victorian Half crown. Condition very used please see all photos. Widht is 32mm. Weight is 11.8 grams. So alot of weight loss with age. When minted coin weight approx 14 grams. Only 42.768 minted . London minted. This is a very rare date and highly collectable coin so price is based on low end of value.  Stunning coin.

which is far too much underweight for any Viccy halfcrown - even ones worn smooth tend to be over 12 g, and this hasn't got that much "wear". Something decidedly wrong with it for me...

Yep just read the text, it’s a lot more underweight than the pictures would suggest

And now it's got a bid ! 

Hope it's not any member of this forum...

That's completely wrong. You don't lose over 2g looking like that, and the legend is all over the place.

The seller also has a 1707 Queen Anne Edinburgh crown for sale. Looks rather suspect too. 

• Like 1

I will never ever believe that someone could buy a coin of that prestige and money, without at least knowing the series inside out, it beggars belief. In fact I don’t believe it...it’s eBay, after all, he’s bidding on that to install false confidence, that’s my theory.

• Like 1