British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
zookeeperz

OLD CGS wrong variety attributed

Hi guys further to my story posted somewhere about my dealings with the CGS team. I was prob one of the first batch to be graded back in 2007 when their opinion on what is a variety and what was not was personal and not factual. After a few emails back and forth I was glad to see that they agreed with me it is not their job to say if a coin is worthy of being a variety. (back then they recognised already known varieties only). They graded £500 worth of coins and I was less than happy as the coins that were in today's grading would only be details grade were specifically sent for variety attribute only as they were unrecorded. Needless to say they bodybagged them sent them back with no attribution other than (ungraded porosity). Forget the fact that it was 1675/3 farthing o/o sideways. Also the coins they did grade also had no variety attached to them as in their opinion it would add little to the value (really in what century do you inhabit). So basically I got stiffed for a monkey by three monkey's :)

Here is one I still have that they would attribute the correct grade initially. Although after my heated emails they did offer to regrade all the coins I questioned. But I didn't take up the offer as I was so angry. Here is 1856 01 standard shilling. As you can see it is far from it. first 5 is small 5 over large 5 and last 6 is over 5. I even had the impression that the 1 was struck over a roman I but as it is in the slab I cannot get clear enough pic to confirm and 10 years ago I forgotten what I put on the ticket. 

1856date.jpg

8 minutes ago, PWA 1967 said:

Hi Zoo .

I dont know anything about shillings but what is the UIN please.

Pete

0003797-SH.V1.1856.01  if you see the pic it also is the conjoined A type which is variety 04 if I remember but as it stands a mis attributed unlisted variety. Kind of annoying when you shell out that amount of money and not get what you ask for.

Edited by zookeeperz

Thanks Zoo i was looking to see what varieties they have done on the date since and what yours looked like.

The farthing i think you must of sent on another occasion as i cant see that one :)

I cant see any others in the batch you sent that are not correct ,maybe the detail does not show clearly enough on the picture.

Edited by PWA 1967

This is every reason why TPG's are a farce.Jacks of all trades but masters........diddly.

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

This is every reason why TPG's are a farce.Jacks of all trades but masters........diddly.

Can you tell us what the variety is please Peter ?.

Not an expert in this field Pete ,neither do I profess to be.If I was it wouldn't get sent to tell me what I knew......Jeeeeze.

5 minutes ago, Peter said:

Not an expert in this field Pete ,neither do I profess to be.If I was it wouldn't get sent to tell me what I knew......Jeeeeze.

Good answer :)

3 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Thanks Zoo i was looking to see what varieties they have done on the date since and what yours looked like.

The farthing i think you must of sent on another occasion as i cant see that one :)

I cant see any others in the batch you sent that are not correct ,maybe the detail does not show clearly enough on the picture.

Well I doubt they would of kept records of ungraded coins back in 2007 as they were returned with a standard comment like porosity or verdigris spot . This was before they did details grading. Which was my argument to start with. Not that it made a lot of difference in the end as all were sold on but it aids a sale if it more than just my opinion on what is on the coin. Some variety types esp overdates can be so subtle even the best picture cannot show what the eye and a loupe can unless you are fortunate enough to own a stereoscope.

I would Imagine there are probably only 4 from the original batch that are still on the site.

1856obv.jpg

1856rev.jpg