British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

1799 Halfpenny varieties - 7 relief gunports?

Could one of you experts on halfpenny varieties help me out with this? I have a very nice 1799 Halfpenny, but wehn I count the gunports I always come up with 7 relief - whereas Spink lists varieties 6 and 9 relief, 5 incuse and a couple of plain hull. Am I misreading it, or are there more varieties than Spink lists?

1799 HD 2 Red.JPG

1799 HD close up 9 Relief.JPG

• Like 1

Sorry for the rough outlining but I think that these are the ports. Six of them.

ports.JPG

19 minutes ago, bagerap said:

Sorry for the rough outlining but I think that these are the ports. Six of them.

Ah - so the middle blob is not a gunport but something else? Is there anywhere that shows the various types alongside each other to compare? I also have what I believe are the 5 incuse and the plain hull in less clear condition. If I can work out how to get clear photos at this scale out of my camera, I am quite happy to contribute to such a site!

5 incuse gunports, P1248. I couldn't help humming the Captain Pugwash tune while I sorted the photo out. :)

Incidentally, what do you make of the mottled surface? The coin has a few oily colours and I wondered if it had been dipped in a solvent of some sort (petrol?). It's a shame because it's a good 'un apart from that. 

1799 halfpenny P1248 5 incuse gunports.jpg

Seems a little odd that on the 5 incuse the middle blob counts but on the 6/7 relief it doesn't? :-)

No idea what caused your mottling. I would guess it has been cleaned in some strong chemical a long time ago and has since regained some natural toning, but can't disguise the pitting caused by the chemical.

I have tried to get better pictures of my 3 varieties.

In order - 6 (7!) Relief, Plain Hull, 5 Incuse. Interesting when you see them this close together how hugely different the ships are.

1799 HD 6 Relief.JPG

1799 HD Plain Hull.JPG

1799 HD 5 Incuse.JPG

9 minutes ago, Paddy said:

No idea what caused your mottling. I would guess it has been cleaned in some strong chemical a long time ago and has since regained some natural toning, but can't disguise the pitting caused by the chemical.

No pitting, just marks like something's evaporated from the surface, like water marks on your shower screen for want of a better analogy.

7 relief ports is documented as is 5, 6 & 9. Bramah noted it as his variety 13a in his book (1929). I have one too, as did Nicholson (lot 296). 

• Like 1

Excellent - thanks Rob, that clears it up. For some reason my copy of Spink mentions 5, 6 and 9 but not 7. I don't have Bramah - does it give any indication of relative scarcity between the types?

Thanks again.

Bramah just says rare for those other than 5. I'd say 7 is about the same as the 9. 5 is normal, and 6 is more common than 7.

• Like 1

I found it interesting that Bramah also notes the design was originally intended for a cartwheel halfpence, hence the curved base. :)

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

I found it interesting that Bramah also notes the design was originally intended for a cartwheel halfpence, hence the curved base. :)

They used the reverses on the cartwheel pattern halfpennies for 1797, but these had no gunports. 

Edited by Rob

19 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

Interesting. There are in fact 1798 cartwheel halfpennies, but they were struck for the Isle Of Man and have the 3-legged design instead of Britannia.

4 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Interesting. There are in fact 1798 cartwheel halfpennies, but they were struck for the Isle Of Man and have the 3-legged design instead of Britannia.

Indeed so, as well as 1813. 

Isle of Man ½d 1798 (3).jpg

IOM halfpenny 1813 (3).jpg

• Like 2