British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
DrP

Price guide discrepancy for 1696 sixpence?

I was looking up some prices at a couple of sites on line for a 1696 William iii sixpence. NGC coin guide suggests for 2 different busts in VG prices of £50 to £150, £200 to £900 VF and £650 to £1800 XF40 (EF?).  Whereas on the British coin price guide website it lists more varieties, all ranging from £35 to £60 in Fine, £90 to £250 VF and £350 to £550 EF.

I understand the different varieties being valued at different prices due to rarity and different guides giving different values as they are just guides, but there is a wide gap between the estimated values given at each site. Any clues as to which is closer to the general value? Thanks.

Maybe I should be using a different site. Recommendations would be welcome. I like the one I use for British coins, but maybe I need a better one for world coins. Any opinions on NGC

Edited by DrP

9 minutes ago, DrP said:

I was looking up some prices at a couple of sites on line for a 1696 William iii sixpence. NGC coin guide suggests for 2 different busts in VG prices of £50 to £150, £200 to £900 VF and £650 to £1800 XF40 (EF?).  Whereas on the British coin price guide website it lists more varieties, all ranging from £35 to £60 in Fine, £90 to £250 VF and £350 to £550 EF.

I understand the different varieties being valued at different prices due to rarity and different guides giving different values as they are just guides, but there is a wide gap between the estimated values given at each site. Any clues as to which is closer to the general value? Thanks.

Maybe I should be using a different site. Recommendations would be welcome. I like the one I use for British coins, but maybe I need a better one for world coins. Any opinions on NGC

I dont have a clue about sixpences but cannot believe how many different types there are.

The English grading company has 29 varieties :o 

Sure someone will help you out :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, DrP said:

1. There are - as you've said - many varieties of Will III silver coins, and rarity will determine the relative prices

2. They are just guides - as you've said - so need to be taken with a pinch of salt, and two eyes on how the prices were compiled

3. Buy one guide and stick to it. If your interests are George III onwards, then CCGB (link in the banner ad above) is both cheap and comprehensive. If your interests are wider British, then Spink's annual catalogue is "the bible". If your interests are global, then Krause, though bear in mind Krause is not comprehensive for varieties, and their prices don't reflect local values but more what a foreigner might pay for coins of a particular country.

• Like 1

Thanks. I use the NGC site a lot for world coins as it is convenient and easy to search, but it does throw up some odd prices sometimes.