British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Muzzleloader

light 1562 sixpence

Hi all, would 2.56g be way too light for a 1562 milled sixpence it has no clipping and has clear details but i have a hunch its fake

thanks

IMAG0161_1.jpg

IMAG0160_1.jpg

Edited by Muzzleloader

I’ll dig out some photos of one I’ve had, might even be the same one??

What should the weight be? Spinks does not give weights or even ranges - is there a good online source for such info?

If you look at the deformed right arm/leaf, and the flaw in the 8 oclock field, they are present on them all. If you search the forum using 'fake elizabeth milled' or try 'counterfeit elizabeth milled' you'll get plenty to read.

Hope you didn't pay too much? Was it eBay?

IMG_2894aresize.jpg

Much appreciated Coinery,

hmmmm yes, from the lovely world of fleabay. first look and it seemed like maybe it had been in the ground 

it came in a coin flip, as soon as i had it in my hand i had the hunch, it also smells like it has  polish on it,  the weight blew the alarm.

sending back to seller

do you think these were contemporary or recent?

3 hours ago, Paddy said:

What should the weight be? Spinks does not give weights or even ranges - is there a good online source for such info?

3.09 at least in this condition

• Like 1

Guest Coinery
1 hour ago, Muzzleloader said:

do you think these were contemporary or recent?

There is a BNJ article that discusses these coins - can’t remember the details but it’s on here somewhere?

They seem to turn up quite frequently which instinctively makes me say they are more recent, though I can’t hand on heart say one way or the other.