British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

8 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

The above picture shows the blank area bottom middle of the bust much better than the one on Richard's site. Much more convincing! 

1860-f10-obv.jpg

The weak area is variable, as it depends on the depth/force of the die strike so not always present, but when it is present it seems invariably to be found on obverse 2.

Jerry

18 hours ago, jelida said:

The weak area is variable, as it depends on the depth/force of the die strike so not always present, but when it is present it seems invariably to be found on obverse 2.

Jerry

is that not obverse 3 bust looks much closer to the border than the picture of obverse 2 with the gap? or is it a trick of the light :)

It is obverse 2 with the incomplete rose and the colon after DG pointing to a tooth, colon is to a gap on obverse 3.

2 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

is that not obverse 3 bust looks much closer to the border than the picture of obverse 2 with the gap? or is it a trick of the light :)

Actually I should revise my statement above; obverse 3 post DG colon points to the right of a tooth, not fully to the gap. But the illustrated coin is still obverse 2, with the colon pointing to the tooth or slightly to the left.  

Jerry

It'll probably be Monday before I see this thing. Postie will attempt delivery tomorrow, I will be out, he will take it back to the post office etc...

On ‎15‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 7:28 PM, jelida said:

Jerry

An easy way to distinguish the obv. 2 from the 3 on most coins even when warn' is by the D  in  F: D:  as on the 2 it points to the gap, and on the 3 it points to the tooth.

• Like 1

On 2/16/2018 at 2:19 PM, zookeeperz said:

And is invariably present on all obverse D* coins.

1860 F10 D2+d obv.JPG

On 2/17/2018 at 9:05 AM, terrysoldpennies said:

An easy way to distinguish the obv. 2 from the 3 on most coins even when warn' is by the D  in  F: D:  as on the 2 it points to the gap, and on the 3 it points to the tooth.

Good point Terry, I've added this info to my varieties website.

I am still confused. Looking at those 2 pictures I assume are the same obverse 2's can you explain to me why the colon alignments after F:D: are different> as in the Jelida's pic the top colon is pointing to the gap and the bottom to the tooth. In santa's pic it is the other way around also the last A in victoria Jelida's points to a gap and santa's points to the tooth?

Santa's pic is of the new obverse, which is referred to as D*, there being no suitable sequential letter to allocate to it! D* is very rare so far, and has two extra teeth which alters the letter/tooth associations. First described on this forum by Terry Eagleton a couple of years ago.

Jerry

1 hour ago, jelida said:

Santa's pic is of the new obverse, which is referred to as D*, there being no suitable sequential letter to allocate to it! D* is very rare so far, and has two extra teeth which alters the letter/tooth associations. First described on this forum by Terry Eagleton a couple of years ago.

Jerry

Ah I am with you now :)

Here we go then. All happy with F20? :)

1861 F20 (1).JPG

1861 F20 (2).JPG

Yes, the little inwards dink at the bottom of the bust shows that it's clearly obverse 2.

• Like 1

Yup. The signature can be seen as well.

Jerry

8 minutes ago, jelida said:

Yup. The signature can be seen as well.

Jerry

Spot on Jerry. :)

1861 F20 (3).jpg

Maybe better in a new thread but I'll stay here for the moment.

To continue my education....I have identified this ebay offering as F71, 7+G. Am I right please? :)

F71 (3).jpg

As you know, I am no expert at these yet, but it looks right to me. Interesting that the H seems to be offset to the left - is that a regular occurrence?

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

As you know, I am no expert at these yet, but it looks right to me. Interesting that the H seems to be offset to the left - is that a regular occurrence?

Yes, there is a lot of variation in ‘H’ position. And yes, F71 I agree.

Jerry

Thanks both.

Another 1874H, also on ebay.

Think this is F73 - OBV 7 REV H, but looks to me like Gouby rev ja which doesn't fit with F73 <scratches head> <removes splinters from fingernails>.

Where have I gone wrong please? Is it Gouby j?

F73 (3).jpg

On 2/19/2018 at 3:44 PM, mrbadexample said:

Another 1874H, also on ebay.

Think this is F73 - OBV 7 REV H, but looks to me like Gouby rev ja which doesn't fit with F73 <scratches head> <removes splinters from fingernails>.

Where have I gone wrong please? Is it Gouby j?

Definitely Freeman 73 and Gouby j.

Gouby ja is a variant of Freeman 72 and doesn't have an H under the date.

With apologies for the quoting issues. Not sure what's gone wrong.

On 2/19/2018 at 3:44 PM, mrbadexample said:

• Like 1

Yes F73 but not a Gouby ja reverse. They are not always easy to spot, I try to spot the slight convexity of the back of Britannia’s helmet, which is normally concave, as on this one. Practice on narrow date 1875’s, all of which are ja.

Jerry

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jelida said:

I try to spot the slight convexity of the back of Britannia’s helmet, which is normally concave, as on this one. Practice on narrow date 1875’s, all of which are ja.

Thank Jerry, that's the bit I was trying to see, so thanks for the practice tip. :)