British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

1 minute ago, mrbadexample said:

This one Terry.

This one is a Freeman G,   No rock left of lighthouse, Plume almost just a thin line at the end,  It could be the 5+g f28 but it is iffy :huh:

2 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

This one is a Freeman G,   No rock left of lighthouse, Plume almost just a thin line at the end,  It could be the 5+g f28 but it is iffy :huh:

Worth a punt I think. I'll post better pictures when I have it in hand. Cheers for all the help. :)

Take a look at the F28s on my rarestpenny site - most of them have the dropped last 1 in the date like your picture.

• Like 1

Jon, that reverse is almost definitely G. You can always tell because on all reverse G's the date numerals are closer together, compared to D & F, and often the final "1" is either sloping, or otherwise a bit wonky. Sometimes very close to the 6.

If that's paired with obverse 5, you have yourself a Freeman 28 - rarity 18.  

19 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

If that's paired with obverse 5, you have yourself a Freeman 28 - rarity 18.     

I figure that worst case scenario, given reverse G, is 4+G (F25, R12). We might be able to see better when it turns up. :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mrbadexample said:

I figure that worst case scenario, given reverse G, is 4+G (F25, R12). We might be able to see better when it turns up. :)

Its unlikely to be a  4 , the 4 has a very narrow rim ,  your one looks some what wider around the edge. :D

I’m going for F20, 2+G, I think there is a signature on the bust, and the lower margin of the bust and rose looks right, and the colon after ‘G’ of DG points to a tooth. 

But I won’t be upset if it’s F28, fingers crossed!

Either way a rare coin.

Jerry

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Bernie said:

It's a Freeman 29, obverse 6 with reverse D

I hope you're referring to the first one I posted Bernie! 

Please have a look at the second? 

Cheers, Jon

That is if I am not mistaken the scarcer type Obverse 5 with reverse G  R18  F-28. Nice find :)

1 hour ago, jelida said:

I’m going for F20, 2+G, I think there is a signature on the bust, and the lower margin of the bust and rose looks right, and the colon after ‘G’ of DG points to a tooth. 

But I won’t be upset if it’s F28, fingers crossed!

Either way a rare coin.

Jerry

the ribbon ties on obverse 2 are almost touching. Obverse 5 shows that characteristic loop shaped gap between the ties as on the coin above

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mrbadexample said:

I hope you're referring to the first one I posted Bernie! 

Please have a look at the second? 

Cheers, Jon

Yes John, the other picture, I didn't see, appears to be a Freeman 20, obverse 2 with reverse G

18 minutes ago, Bernie said:

Yes John, the other picture, I didn't see, appears to be a Freeman 20, obverse 2 with reverse G

Thanks Bernie. Can you tell me what characteristics make you think obverse 2 please? :)

13 hours ago, zookeeperz said:

the ribbon ties on obverse 2 are almost touching. Obverse 5 shows that characteristic loop shaped gap between the ties as on the coin above

I think that impression may be a photo issue. I certainly get the impression of a signature along the lower border of the bust, and the slight ‘recess’ mid way along the lower border is characteristic of obverse 2. I also don’t see the cut away section of bust margin on the right that would be compatible with obverse 5.

Another issue is the slight misalignment of the R in BRITT. I have seen this on some obverse 2 dies, but it does not feature on the F28 obverse dies so far noted (refer Richards’s site). If it is F28, it would have to be a different combination of Obverse 5 plus Reverse G dies than the others so far found. I stand by F20.

At the very least this topic demonstrates how we all see different things in the information presented to us. As noted before, I would not be sorry to be wrong, time will tell.

PS I see Bernie agrees with me, that gives me some confidence !

Jerry

• Like 1

I won’t mind if it’s F20. This has been an excellent learning experience for me. :D

1 hour ago, jelida said:

I think that impression may be a photo issue. I certainly get the impression of a signature along the lower border of the bust, and the slight ‘recess’ mid way along the lower border is characteristic of obverse 2. I also don’t see the cut away section of bust margin on the right that would be compatible with obverse 5.

Another issue is the slight misalignment of the R in BRITT. I have seen this on some obverse 2 dies, but it does not feature on the F28 obverse dies so far noted (refer Richards’s site). If it is F28, it would have to be a different combination of Obverse 5 plus Reverse G dies than the others so far found. I stand by F20.

At the very least this topic demonstrates how we all see different things in the information presented to us. As noted before, I would not be sorry to be wrong, time will tell.

PS I see Bernie agrees with me, that gives me some confidence !

Jerry

You will know Jerry after the F28 you bought that gave me a headache thinking it was a F20 :)

• Like 1

Just now, PWA 1967 said:

You will know Jerry after the F28 you bought that gave me a headache thinking it was a F20 :)

True Pete, we had fun with that one. It is a nice example. I haven’t sent pics to Richard yet, will do so when I can get at my PC 😣 , furniture stacked everywhere and dust by the bucket😡.

Jerry

• Like 1

On 2/14/2018 at 10:18 AM, mrbadexample said:

So, the obverse. Judging by the proximity of the B to the head, and the pointing of the foremost leaf, I'm fairly sure it's not obverse 6.

I don't think it's 4 as I can't see any signature under the bust. That leaves obverse 2 (F20, R12) and obverse 5 (F28, R18). I can't differentiate between them at this level. I expect it to be obverse 2, as if it was F28 one of you buggers would have bought it by now. :lol:

Which do you think it is please?

1861 (6).jpg

1861 (7).jpg

I tend to think it's an obverse 2, reverse g.. 

An F-20

I don't know - it's not easy to distinguish between the two, especially on worn examples. Here are Obverse 2 and Obverse 5 copied from Gouby's book. Might help to see the two side by side:-

Obverse 2.jpg

Obverse 5.jpg

That's what I was trying to describe see the ribbons where they leave the bow obverse 2 are very close and the gap is very small. obverse 5 has that loop looking gap distinctly wider distance from ribbon to ribbon :)

31 minutes ago, zookeeperz said:

That's what I was trying to describe see the ribbons where they leave the bow obverse 2 are very close and the gap is very small. obverse 5 has that loop looking gap distinctly wider distance from ribbon to ribbon :)

What I see are tonal differences in the photograph that give a false impression of a wider gap, and anyway don’t detract from the probable presence of the signature, visible in both obverse images but particularly the first, and the Obv 2 type indentation half way along the lower bust line that Mike’s post photos show clearly. Nor can the point made above about the R in BRITT be ignored if stating this to be an F28. Unless it is a new obverse, and allowing for wear, the visible identifying features have to be all or nothing, not pick and mix.

I hope this coin is soon in the hand, Mr Badexample, so we can have some photos we can agree around, though this debate is rather fun.

Jerry

Edited by jelida

25 minutes ago, jelida said:

What I see are tonal differences in the photograph that give a false impression of a wider gap, and anyway don’t detract from the probable presence of the signature, visible in both obverse images but particularly the first, and the Obv 2 type indentation half way along the lower bust line that Mike’s post photos show clearly. Nor can the point made above about the R in BRITT be ignored if stating this to be an F28. Unless it is a new obverse, and allowing for wear, the visible identifying features have to be all or nothing, not pick and mix.

I hope this coin is soon in the hand, Mr Badexample, so we can have some photos we can agree around, though this debate is rather fun.

Jerry

Yes, that does appear to be there on Jon's obverse pic, Jerry. So that is kind of tipping the balance towards Obverse 2.

Not sure about the ribbon, although I definitely take zookeeperz' point.    

19 minutes ago, jelida said:

Jerry

It is fun, and of enormous value to this rookie. :) Better photos will surely help, which I hope to be able to provide tomorrow. I am expecting F20 as the most likely.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Obverse 2.jpg

The above picture shows the blank area bottom middle of the bust much better than the one on Richard's site. Much more convincing! 

1860-f10-obv.jpg

Edited by mrbadexample