British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

ConstantlyHammered

What are these strange blotches on hammered coins

They are not an indicator of forgeries. They are called annulets .common on lots of hammered coins .I am sure they are there for a reason ,and I am sure one of the hammered experts will tell us both why lol.

Edited by mick1271
  • Like 1

They are called privy marks. 

Wikipedia on privy marks

"Originally a small mark or differentiation in the design of a coin for the purpose of identifying the mint, moneyer, or some other aspect of the coins production or origin, for control purposes."

Some more information here about privy marks on Henry VI coins.

http://www.vosper4coins.co.uk/ivanbuck/Buck-3.htm

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 3

Most certainly for differentiation and for identifying the origin of a coin. One of the coins really high up on my 'wants' list is an Edward I penny class 1d with annulet on breast. Quite a rare coin and once believed to signify that the coins were minted for the Abbot of Reading. I have a decent Henry VI penny with annulets either side of the bust, which I quite like too. It's definitely an interesting little privy mark! :) 

• Like 1

Hi not rare but pricey there are (IIRC) over 100 coins from about 30 different dies. R

The class 10 ab with annulet is much rarer

Edited by davetmoneyer
addendum

3 hours ago, davetmoneyer said:

Hi not rare but pricey there are (IIRC) over 100 coins from about 30 different dies. R

The class 10 ab with annulet is much rarer

Hi Dave,

have you published these stats anywhere, or are they only from your personal record?