British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

March 2018 LCA

Catalogue now on line.

Highlights for me are the 1877 Freeman 90, plus the exceptional 1918KN and 1919KN pennies, as well as a high end 1926 ME.

Pretty much the same for me, also the 1860 proof and the first 1919H. Bit put off the 1919kn by the weak obverse strike and absent beading in places. Might be able to afford one, unlikely to be more. Big house renovation costs ongoing, though not unexpected.

Jerry

15 hours ago, jelida said:

Pretty much the same for me, also the 1860 proof and the first 1919H. Bit put off the 1919kn by the weak obverse strike and absent beading in places. Might be able to afford one, unlikely to be more. Big house renovation costs ongoing, though not unexpected.

Jerry

That's the trouble with houses. Always something needs doing, and as soon as you have one thing done, it shows up deficiencies elsewhere.  

On first viewing of the catalogue, not much there for me.

Are others having trouble accessing LCA at the moment? I tried yesterday evening, and again this morning, and once I get in and try to search a specific category it says 'waiting for a response'..............and then times out. 

16 hours ago, jaggy said:

On first viewing of the catalogue, not much there for me.

Well, went back in and had a good close look. While there are some nice coins, there is nothing that is on my buy list and in the quality I am looking for. So I will have to pass on this one.

58 minutes ago, alfnail said:

Are others having trouble accessing LCA at the moment? I tried yesterday evening, and again this morning, and once I get in and try to search a specific category it says 'waiting for a response'..............and then times out. 

I've just tried it, Ian, and was able to get in OK. Having said that, the pages of LCA are not the quickest in the world, to load.

May have just been a blip.

On 2/7/2018 at 10:15 PM, jelida said:

also the 1860 proof

When they featured this in the preview I emailed them and suggested they describe it as F762 which it is and, although they thanked me for my email, they ignored me !

But it's rare one and whereas Michael Gouby originally suggested it might be a "late strike for VIPs", presumably because of the inverted reverse, the article by Paul Holland in the 2017 BNJ suggests it was an early strike and from a working die rather than a proof die. Still very rare though.

5 minutes ago, secret santa said:

the article by Paul Holland in the 2017 BNJ suggests it was an early strike and from a working die rather than a proof die. Still very rare though.

Is it available online?

31 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Is it available online?

I don't know - I bet Rob will know.

No, the latest on the BNS site is 2013.

21 hours ago, Mr T said:

Is it available online?

Definately worth a read though if you can find a copy and excellent pictures that help :)

Edited by PWA 1967

I'll make a note of it.

The March LCA is postponed on account of the weather. Had this e mail earlier:-

----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Monday, February 26, 2018 11:13 AM
Subject: LONDON COINS AUCTION IS POSTPONED

logo_glow_200.png

Dear

The weather forecast is such that there is a possibility we may not be able to make the journey from Kent to Bracknell at the end of this week and set up for the auction.

We have therefore postponed our auction 160 until  Saturday 17th and Sunday 18th of March.

All other arrangements and schedules remain, it is simply that all lots and sections will be offered at the same times 14 days later.

One advantage of this is that lots can be made available for viewing Sunday 11th March at the MSCF show at the Motor Cycle Museum near Coventry.

We can accept bids by e-mail : bids@londoncoins.co.uk, snail mail to 4-6 Upper Street South, New Ash Green, Kent DA3 8JJ, phone 01474 871464 or fax 01474 872173.

Viewing may be available by appointment at our New Ash Green offices for an additional 14 days please contact 01474 871464 to make an appointment.

Regards

Semra Cetin
London Coins Ltd

Thanks Mike,

this post may have saved me a pointless drive in the snow, they clearly don’t have my current email address.

Jerry

• Like 1

Postponed 2 weeks ago on account of the snow. 

Takes place this weekend instead, amidst a forecast of more ruddy snow !!!

1 hour ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

bah.

Have to be in Reading this weekend.

Doh!

I'll probably have my nose in a book too. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

bah.

Have to be in Reading this weekend.

Doh!

Reading must be at least 5 miles from the auction. Surely you can't use that as an excuse. Regular trains, or a quick trip down the A329M

Edited by Rob

Guest Beaver

Anyone know how much the 1877 and 1860 proof pennies sold for? 

22 hours ago, Guest Beaver said:

Anyone know how much the 1877 and 1860 proof pennies sold for? 

£4212-00 and £3978-00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it just me, but is the date of the 1877 close date penny  ( Lot 2422 ) a bit strange?

The first 7 rather stands out...

Sounds like with all those exclamation marks and precise price that it must have been you Richard :ph34r: