British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Unwilling Numismatist

1887 Florin

Are they really that hard to get at a decent grade for sensible money - bear in mind I aim for currency, not pristine mint full lustre UNC.

I'll admit, I'm tighter than a sharks ass, but really .. 50 quid for 2 shillings?

I've bought much more (technically speaking) for much less.

I am picky but I didn't think these should be that hard to find realistically, it's bordering on insane when the gothics of a very collectable grade show in the same search results.

Not sure this is a moan or a good thing, but I want one and am getting dejected by what I see.

It should be quite easy to get an 1887 florin in decent grade for under £50.  Just wait a bit longer, I'm sure something will turn up.

I guess I'm just being impatient, been trying for a (reasonably) decent 1887 set for ages and it seems I could have done any other year several times over!

Is this one good enough for you?

1887 Fl 1 Red.JPG

1887 Fl 2 Red.JPG

1 hour ago, Sleepy said:

the coin king has one up for sale, looks at least GEF or better for £36. https://www.thecoinking.co.uk/collections/florins/products/1887-florin-victoria-british-silver-coin-superb

GVF+ IMO  lot of wear on the front lace more than the coin above

• Like 1

@Paddy Thanks for the offer, it's much appreciated, however I really do need to develop enough self control :) I'm just being impatient, but the longer I wait, the better I can buy in the end!

Cheers

Kev

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

@Paddy Thanks for the offer, it's much appreciated, however I really do need to develop enough self control :) I'm just being impatient, but the longer I wait, the better I can buy in the end!

Cheers

Kev

Hmm. Moot point. I've tried that in the past. Left something thinking better would come along and it never did. It taught me to know my chosen field a bit better. Probably not an issue for a general example of a milled coin, but for some of the more esoteric varieties it really becomes relevant.

I case you are interested, I have this one I good let you have for £40 posted  s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Hmm. Moot point. I've tried that in the past. Left something thinking better would come along and it never did. It taught me to know my chosen field a bit better. Probably not an issue for a general example of a milled coin, but for some of the more esoteric varieties it really becomes relevant.

Indeed, and when the time calls for it, action is forthcoming accordingly :)

Hi Kev

I'll be putting some silver - a bereavement pile- on the For Sale section as soon as.

May be something for you in that lot.

I know there's a nice 1887 florin, 2 double florins, and a beautiful 1908 half crown etc...

B

Thanks Blakey, I bought Paulus's Florin.

I'm in the market for other shiny things now though while I hunt down some of the variants and rarer examples from 1887. (and save up for the gold!)