British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

valleyboy

1940 Silver Threepence

Hi all,

Totally new to coin collecting, apart from a few I've bought from the Royal Mint.

I came across a 'silver' threepence coin, which,(sadly) I can remember spending as a child! I'm not sure what's it worth, if anything.

I've also got quite a few of the usual threepenny coins, but I realise they are not worth anything. More of a novelty to show my grandkids.

Finally, I've got two half crown coins dated 1940 & 1955. Not uncirculated sadly, but clean and tidy. Any value (if any)?

Many thanks and I'm looking forward to starting an 'old coin' collection.

Steve.

The half crown and the 3 pence which are pre 1947 are 50% silver and have a scrap silver value. Otherwise, as with any coin, they are a piece of history and worth keeping for interest sake if you are into that sort of thing.

There are lists of prices for coins, which mainly depend upon the grade of the coin and how many were minted and what it is made of, such as this one...( http://british-coin-price-guide.homelinux.com/OnePenny-Coin-Price-Guide.htm ) or the NGC website, which will tell you that your 1940 3d would be worth around £10.00 in mint condition, around £3.00 in Extra Fine.  I think the scrap value for a 3 d is way under 50 p...  but people do pay around £1.00 for them as items of interest (some still put them in christmas puddings and things).    The silver half crown will value will vary with scrap silver value and people pay different prices for them....  I think they are worth around £3.50 or so (sorry - was too lazy to work out the exact price based on today's silver price)...  depending on the silver value on the day.

Edited by DrP

PS - the coin price guides are just that...  guides...  if you chuck the coins on e-bay you may get more or less for them depending on the whims of the people bidding. 

I hope that helps.

All the best,

Dr P.

Just to add, the brass threepences are worth checking through - two scarcest dates are 1946 and 1949 and these may be worth a few pounds even in circulated condition. The rest, unless they are stunningly bright and new, are 10p a time jobs at a carboot sale.

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Just to add, the brass threepences are worth checking through - two scarcest dates are 1946 and 1949 and these may be worth a few pounds even in circulated condition. The rest, unless they are stunningly bright and new, are 10p a time jobs at a carboot sale.

Yea - you are looking at £9 to £15 for those 46 and 49 dates.   Regarding the 10p - I assume you are talking the brass ones... the silver ones go for a pound whatever the condition or date....  if you DO mean the silver ones are 10 p then I'll take all you have at that price! lol ;-)  

Edited by DrP
  • Like 1