British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Coincollector

Coin identification

Hi i have this coin and i’m not sure what it is it looks celtic, though i could be wrong. Not sure if its gold or not. Hopefully someone can give me an idea of what it might be thanks.

E738EDDD-066F-4E03-AD42-945CFD34174D.jpeg

3B38BDD0-45A8-4693-A69D-0E937E8E972B.jpeg

It does rather look like the one-sided Celtic quarter stater, but your pictures are way too small to be certain. The metal is wrong - should be billon silver not gold or brass.

1 minute ago, Coincollector said:

How can you tell that it’s silver?

You could do it from precise measurement and then weight, but I tend to go on 'look' (which is not always correct). However, unless you have a dreadful colour cast on your photos, that looks brass or gold (and I don't think they even had brass back then?)

27 minutes ago, Coincollector said:

Hi i have this coin and i’m not sure what it is it looks celtic, though i could be wrong. Not sure if its gold or not. Hopefully someone can give me an idea of what it might be thanks.

E738EDDD-066F-4E03-AD42-945CFD34174D.jpeg

3B38BDD0-45A8-4693-A69D-0E937E8E972B.jpeg

Where did you acquire it from if you don't mind me asking? 

1 hour ago, rpeddie said:

Good work. Here is a website listing the weights of fanam coins. Yours is right bang on. https://taxfreegold.co.uk/indianfanams.html

Edited by Ukstu

Interesting. That's a very Celtic-like design.

35 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Interesting. That's a very Celtic-like design.

true that, always have to do a double take when i see one to make sure its not a £40 celtic stater :)

The picture is very small, but from what I can see the design looks less crude than the link to the fanams. Is it genuine?

A good close-up picture would help so that you can see the fields and engraving clearly. With an image that size, even the Westair repros would look ok.

By the quality of the strike it's almost certainly a Dutch strike, maybe Cochin, which puts it before 1825.