British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  

They do come across rather pushy,    seems to take the heart right out of coin collecting, that 50 years of coins might have held a lot of memories for someone 

Capture.PNG

Edited by craigy

I don't see anything wrong with the above.

The guy is in business and a business is supposed to make a profit. Your memories are not his problem.

There is a programme on TV called Pawn Stars where this pawn shop buys stuff from people. The number of individuals who don't seem to understand that the shop had to pay overheads such as rent, utilities and wages as well as providing a living for its owners and, as a result, cannot pay retail prices is amazing.

When I was in business and clients were haggling over rates, I would sometimes respond that we were not a charity.

I don't have a problem with a business pointing this out to potential sellers. It has the merit of clarity.

• Like 3

I don't much like either of them to be honest - Michael or his son Rendell.

I have spoken to both of them on the phone at various times, and they come across as not very humourous and somewhat pedantic. 

With that said, I have actually sold a few spares to them and got a very fair price, and I bought a really nice F26 from them in late 2016. But generally some of their stuff seems (to me anyway) a bit overpriced, and my biggest criticism of all is that their photography is abysmally poor with often dark images. I could do better than them just using my tablet. No exaggeration.   

Here's an example:-

1864_penny.jpg

That's an 1864 crosslet 4 penny in EF taken randomly from their website. If I was thinking of paying the £695 they wanted, I'd be looking for better quality photograph than that. 

45 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

That's an 1864 crosslet 4 penny in EF taken randomly from their website.

Very wide 4 on that one.

1 hour ago, 1949threepence said:

That's an 1864 crosslet 4 penny in EF taken randomly from their website. If I was thinking of paying the £695 they wanted, I'd be looking for better quality photograph than that. 

I'd also want better grading. Dark or not, there is no way that's EF.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

I don't much like either of them to be honest - Michael or his son Rendell.

I have spoken to both of them on the phone at various times, and they come across as not very humourous and somewhat pedantic. 

With that said, I have actually sold a few spares to them and got a very fair price, and I bought a really nice F26 from them in late 2016. But generally some of their stuff seems (to me anyway) a bit overpriced, and my biggest criticism of all is that their photography is abysmally poor with often dark images. I could do better than them just using my tablet. No exaggeration.   

Here's an example:-

1864_penny.jpg

out of interest how did the 4 get so far form the rest of the date, i just dont like the pushy in and out the door attitude like your causing them hassle for wanting to buy something from them 

Guest Miffed by Ingrams.

I bought a few coins from the Ingrams in the early 2010's but then had two bad experiences from them: twice they had mis-described the scarcer varieties I expected to be buying, and ended up sending me normal, common coins. OK, they took them back without any quibble BUT they did not refund my expenses of posting the wrong coins back by signed-for delivery, leaving me a few quid out of pocket for THEIR MISTAKES. Once could have been put down to an error, but twice shows it was deliberate on their part to eke a few more quid out of their customers. Needless to say, I have not ordered again from them in the last 5 years, nor do I ever expect to again. They also massively overgrade and, now, overprice their coins. If you read these posts, Messrs Ingram, perhaps you will understand that business is a two-way process.

• Like 2

people seem to be saying the same in online reviews 

Capt1ure.PNG

Capture.PNG

1 hour ago, craigy said:

out of interest how did the 4 get so far form the rest of the date, i just dont like the pushy in and out the door attitude like your causing them hassle for wanting to buy something from them 

Not really sure. Can only assume that it's due to a badly placed re-struck 4 in the die. Not dissimilar to the sloping close and far 1's in the 1861 pennies. It only seems to occur on crosslets, not on plain - and sometimes the distant 1 is poorly struck, which detracts a little, especially on a high grade specimen.    

4 hours ago, Peckris said:

Agree 100%.

Having peered into the murk I'd grade VF, or VF+ if being generous.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Peckris said:

2 hours ago, Michael-Roo said:

Agree 100%.

Having peered into the murk I'd grade VF, or VF+ if being generous.

GVF at a pinch.

• Like 2

I definitely agree and put in the gVF at very best on this reverse. I've seen them to be quite liberal on grading previously.

I'm always impressed with their 1806 gilt proof penny - "AFDC die flaw obv. slight marks" £275. Check it out.

A really bad and unsightly gouge in the Obv. field with associated scrape marks, obviously nothing to do with a "die-flaw". Absolutely shameless description. The rest of the coin is no great shakes either, with some gilt worn away.

They have had the coin for many years now though. It may have come from Spink who more accurately described a coin like this at £50 years ago in their Circular.

always seems to be something wrong with all the coins they sell, has been with the few inexpensive one's i got form them, coins described as FDC proofs with fingerprints and extremely bad toning for a start 

I have had a couple off coins them with no issue such as this sixpence: 

1887-sixpence-3.jpg

It was graded as CGS 85 and was priced very fairly.