British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
ozjohn

TPG/Ebay Worst Offerings

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Grade-PCGS-MS-65-BU-1928-Great-Britain-Silver-1-Florin-Unc-Very-Rare/222812830841?hash=item33e0adfc79:g:EZwAAOSw~rpZQk2N

I'm not sure how this coin gained a MS 65 obverse wear on top of the ear, eye brow and mo with several dingles on the effigy and fields. Reverse wear to bottom rims of English and Scottish shields including the mace between them. Maybe this can be put down to a light strike but wasn't the ME and new design supposed to stop this? In any case IMO a poorly struck coin shouldn't achieve MS65 grading..Then there's the price starting price of $US 430 ! IMO this coin should be graded at around AU 58 and priced under $US 50.I think all TPGs have a long way to go in achieving the consistent results that collectors and investors require.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ozjohn said:

In any case IMO a poorly struck coin shouldn't achieve MS65 grading.

Couldn't agree more. I think this case isn't too bad but I shake my head whenever I see Perth Mint bronze with indistinct denticles and Queen's face in an MS slab. It may be technically uncirculated but if it doesn't look uncirculated I'm not going to pay uncirculated money for it.

The liked the rims/denticles and the overall lustre - IMO these are nice, but not deserving the 65. I don't think I would be all that unhappy with a 63 but the date is certainly not special. This series in general has languished and even the proofs (save the 1927 matte) just don't seem to bring very much. Perhaps the uninspiring shields reverse.

A bit of a word - they sometimes are using more technical grading in that if a coin left the dies relatively poorly struck but the coin perfectly preserved that way could theoretically reach an even higher grade. This coin has some other issues that limit grade IMO.

As far as I am concerned the aim of professional grading should be consistency. From what I remember from the NGC grading video that someone posted on this site the an uncirculated coin was graded as MS 60 . A higher grade could then  be attributed for the amount of bag marks etc., strike quality and lustre and the subject coin would move up the MS grades depending on how it scored on these criteria. This particular example shows what looks like wear in various places and several knocks especially on the obverse and as a result its grade should be reduced to below MS. You could argue that the source I am quoting is NGC and this coin was graded by PGCS well I go back to my first statement CONSISTENCY is the key where a NGC grading or PGCS grading should be the same ie if I had a NGC coin graded at MS 61 and then it submitted to PGCS or any other TPG then I would expect the same result. If something else results then the whole point of employing a TPG is lost