British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
craigy

Almost proof like,

how would you describe it ? proof, almost proof like ?   brand new dies ?  highly polished dies ?   either way i think its pretty smart :P

P1030380.jpg

P1030381.jpg

Edited by craigy
  • Like 1

QE2 washed out of cameo. Def. prooflike, poss. proof - needs to be seen in hand. This has a silver tint/tone to it.

3 hours ago, VickySilver said:

QE2 washed out of cameo. Def. prooflike, poss. proof - needs to be seen in hand. This has a silver tint/tone to it.

sorry should have said, its struck in silver, the thing is it doesn't claim to be anything, https://www.royalmint.com/our-coins/gifts/christening-and-baby-gifts/Baby-Boy-Silver-Penny/

i only bought it cause i noticed it had Christopher Ironsides reverse on it, and thought it was a bit quirky and i guess it just caught my eye, and also it might turn out to be quite an interesting piece, i doubt there are many collectors out there that are excited about it as i am lol   apart from the 50p's £1 and £2's every thing else go by the wayside 

• Like 2

I might get one meself. How much was the p&p mate? Thanks. 

1 minute ago, Ukstu said:

I might get one meself. How much was the p&p mate? Thanks. 

£3,  spend 45 and over for free postage lol,    but i'm not saying it will be like that, but the 2 i bought were the same, it might be fresh brand new dies is the reason but there has obviously been some proper prep work done on them dies, you only have to look at jody clarks initials under the queens neck to know that,  i thought it would be like the new sixpences, bright almost bullion look to it, maybe if you get the earlier minted sixpences they might look like that until the dies have bedded in ? ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VickySilver said:

i'd even go so far as to say ultra cameo ??  

Ordered mate. I collect silver pennies. It's not Maundy but they look great. Never know they may become sought after in the future for 18th or 21st BD presents and for £18 it's well worth the gamble. Thanks. 

• Like 1

On 1/31/2018 at 4:50 PM, craigy said:

how would you describe it ?

A gewgaw. :rolleyes:

12 minutes ago, mrbadexample said:

A gewgaw. :rolleyes:

a what lol

the royal mint have told me they are struck as brilliant uncirculated ??? 

4 minutes ago, craigy said:

the royal mint have told me they are struck as brilliant uncirculated ??? 

Well i was sure it would of been proof from the picture but atleast you got your answer :)

Are they plated or silver ?.

Edited by PWA 1967

i assume silver being called a silver penny, there is no specifications on it, i will ask, strange one, still has the old reverse which is pretty cool,    would be interesting to get it slabbed see what they call it ?    i like the ngc holders, where do you get that done 

Prob on new dies early strike - cannot be said to be proof and as far as I know no proofs exist (Or have left the mint) so you would struggle selling it as such .

A reasonable and unusual gamble for your cash , though could easy produce a return over ten years or so

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

Prob on new dies early strike - cannot be said to be proof and as far as I know no proofs exist (Or have left the mint) so you would struggle selling it as such .

A reasonable and unusual gamble for your cash , though could easy produce a return over ten years or so

the dies have defo had some prep work done or do the early strike definitive show this as well of you catch them early enough ? they even went to the trouble of doing jody clarks initials, £15 isn't so much when you can pay £13 for a base metal £2 coin, least its made of some precious metal lol 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, copper123 said:

maybe the same thing applies to the frosted proof/vip 37 and 53 crowns etc ????         and there will never be a definitive answer ???

Yikes! These discussions are endless; I ended up by coming to the conclusion that it is not possible to "pigeonhole" currency, specimen, proof. Occasionally there are some borderline matte coins that I just can not accept as matte proof - I have seen a couple even slabbed by major TPGs. The Bower's Catalogue of Norweb Canadian collection had an extensive writeup on this. Also, see the Spencer Journal of American Numismatic Association articles with the best being December 1983 - this is an excellent article well worthy of Rob P. (Spencer, Harry E.: Proof-Record Coins Struck by the Royal Mint).

Somebody ought to scan it and leave it on this site IMO - I am just too technically challenged although if someone sends email might be able to manage next week.

38 minutes ago, VickySilver said:

Yikes! These discussions are endless; I ended up by coming to the conclusion that it is not possible to "pigeonhole" currency, specimen, proof. Occasionally there are some borderline matte coins that I just can not accept as matte proof - I have seen a couple even slabbed by major TPGs. The Bower's Catalogue of Norweb Canadian collection had an extensive writeup on this. Also, see the Spencer Journal of American Numismatic Association articles with the best being December 1983 - this is an excellent article well worthy of Rob P. (Spencer, Harry E.: Proof-Record Coins Struck by the Royal Mint).

Somebody ought to scan it and leave it on this site IMO - I am just too technically challenged although if someone sends email might be able to manage next week.

is the article online ?

Not sure, I got a copy from the ANA Library - really one of the very best articles on the subject I have ever seen with plenty of data. I might be able to photo these and send to email addy.

• Like 1

On 03/02/2018 at 7:22 AM, craigy said:

i assume silver being called a silver penny, there is no specifications on it, i will ask, strange one, still has the old reverse which is pretty cool,    would be interesting to get it slabbed see what they call it ?    i like the ngc holders, where do you get that done 

This looks to be The Gazette Proclamation for these coins...

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2905774

It may help with the specification, and it also looks like a copper plated steel version may be issued sometime as well (2018 ?).  

Edited by sabrejv

15 minutes ago, sabrejv said:

This looks to be The Gazette Proclamation for these coins...

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/notice/2905774

It may help with the specification, and it also looks like a copper plated steel version may be issued sometime as well (2018 ?).  

keep forgetting that proclamation stuff lol,    wonder what set the copper one will come in ? 

7 hours ago, VickySilver said:

Not sure, I got a copy from the ANA Library - really one of the very best articles on the subject I have ever seen with plenty of data. I might be able to photo these and send to email addy.

wecan try that if ya want will have a quicl look online later see if i can locate it that wa y ;0)    thank you