British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Hi folks,

I'm trying to identify this... seems to be a commemorative coin or medal for Edward VII's coronation, but my feeble Google efforts haven't matched it to anything I can find online.

Any ideas?

EdVIICoin_02.jpg

EdVIICoin_01.jpg

It does look like a very lovely Coronation Medal for Edward VII in 1902. It is hallmarked Silver, assayed in Birmingham in 1901. The makers mark - J.F is for James Fenton and Co. of Great Hampton Street Birmingham. See: http://www.silvermakersmarks.co.uk/Makers/Birmingham-JC-JG.html#JF

For more than that we need the designer - is there any signature on it anywhere? I can't see any in your picture but maybe a close examination with a glass could find some initials somewhere?

Thanks!

I can't see any signature, on either face or on the edge (which is smooth).

I'm just helping my mother out figure out what it is... she's had it for years, and it was given to her by (I believe) her grandfather, but she doesn't know anything more about it than that.

And I agree that it's beautiful... also in good condition, as i think it's hardly been out of the original box 

edit: the typography strikes me as a little unusual, as it looks quite modern/futuristic rather than traditional. I'd expect a coronation commemorative item to lean more conservative/traditional in its design. But I'm saying this knowing nothing about medals and coins. 

Edited by zogster
added comment about typography

The typography is interesting and very pleasing. I am sure I have seen something in a similar style from that era, but I can't think where.

You might try contacting Timothy Millett at http://www.historicmedals.com/ He seems to know more about medals than anyone else I have found, may have seen one before, and may give you an indication of value.

The typography looks very similar to the advertisements scripts of that era.

There is also Christopher Eimer. Probably the most knowledgeable guy around in regards to commemorative medals.  

https://www.christophereimer.co.uk

• Like 1