British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Richard2

Edward I penny

Thought I would share this with you good people, found by me detecting late last year. According to Withers , a class 10 cf, very common , usually . But this one has three pellets before the initial cross making it very rare apparently. How rare is it, that’s what I want to know, anyone else got one?

Richard

08ADA6AC-52BC-4AA4-8830-B6BC7A91F358.jpeg

F7B95249-A51B-4DF5-B2EA-844C25AF43BF.jpeg

I posted a similar one a few weeks ago with two pellets in the same place. I wasn't sure if it was an Ed1 or Ed2. Nobody responded. 

Edited by Ukstu

Don’t think I saw that Stu, will have a look back

Cheers. If you've any idea let us know. I suspect its a class 10 just can't tie it down precisely. The Edward Longcross series isn't my strongest area.

If anyone knows why the pellets are put there and for what reason I'd love to know. Seems odd why some have them and others don't and also back to Richards original question "Are they rare" 

Edited by Ukstu
Corrected name.
  • Like 1

Although I can't shed any additional light on this topic, I too would be interested in hearing more about these pellets! :) There was certainly no relevant information in the Galata Guide to the Pennies of Edward I & II or in any of my other hammered books.

• Like 2

They are scarce rather than rare, I have about a dozen variants on the terminal stopping including single, double and triple stops ( The class 1c with double stops in the legend is however is very rare!)

• Like 3