British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

frankiew

1897 one penny dot's between e and n of penny

I can't see the pictures without signing in to something. Which I have no intention of doing. Are you able to post them here please? :)

Cheers. As far as I know the dot between the letters in ONE is documented but not sure about the others. Where's Pete when you need him? :)

I don't think it's anything significant to be honest. Never heard of any others with random raised dots - if there are any, they're probably quite isolated. As a result not lending themselves to either recognition or collection.  

51 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

I don't think it's anything significant to be honest. Never heard of any others with random raised dots - if there are any, they're probably quite isolated. As a result not lending themselves to either recognition or collection.  

I don't have an 1897 O'NE penny - could it be a feature common to all?

2 hours ago, 1949threepence said:

Here is one, that is kind of hard to find, a 1922 Penny, with "Dot" on center trident.

IMG_2598.JPG

IMG_2594.JPG

• Like 4

I was meaning 1897 pennies only - never heard of any random raised dots other than those between the O and N of ONE.

I know dots exist in other pennies. The 1875 cannonball for example. 

I would like to see the op’s ‘dots’ under a high resolution microscope before coming to a conclusion. While individual dots are fairly common on various dates, a multiple example like this would have to be due to an exceptionally ‘gritty’ die, and there are other causes of apparent raised marks ; these photos are just not clear enough. These dots appear quite minuscule and I would want more evidence that were created in the strike.

To my mind , these multiple raised dots even if genuine would confer no real collector value as they would clearly not be an intended design element. The only reason that the ‘dot’ coins became collectable in the first place was that they were thought to be deliberate die identification marks, a theory now reliably disproved. 

Jerry

The cleaning may have just caused damage as the marks are that small and i am not convinced as a couple of dots close together is a bit random.

The Flaw between the O & N is documented in Freeman and therefore collectable and quite a few of them rather than just one known that would be considered more an error..

You mention the coin being a high grade and the one flaw is scarce above VF maybe put up a picture of the full coin.

Well spotted though regardless of what it is :)

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

Thanks again for the info. Finally got pics sorted. The coin has not been cleaned. Dot between O and N of ONE very faint

20180128_220251_1517223370148.jpg

Sorry i cant see it at all on the picture and the tiny white mark (if thats it) is in the wrong place.

My opinion is the coin has been cleaned.

Pete.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

Sorry i cant see it at all on the picture and the tiny white mark (if thats it) is in the wrong place.

My opinion is the coin has been cleaned.

Pete.

I think you're seeing 'gloss' from the flash?

I think what Pete is seeing, and I can too, is the mass of fine parallel hairlines in the fields, indicating that the coin has at the least been ‘buffed’ with a cloth at some time in its life. The flash does accentuate these.

Jerry

The above comment has made me start to think :blink:

If your reading this thread PLEASE post if you think the coin has been cleaned or not.

There is no right or wrong answer :D just interested in everyones opinion.

Pete.

Edited by PWA 1967

A good grade ,but not uncirculated .Looks cleaned to me , but it may just be the quality of the photo.

It's had a wipe at least.  Parallel lines mentioned previously very obvious in frankiew's first close up.

Cleaned to me means some chemical has been used on it - which I don't think is the case for this one. It has definitely been rubbed with a coarse cloth at some stage to give the marks.

Interestingly, the 1922 posted earlier in the thread looks more chemical-cleaned to me. With the flatness to the knee, typical of light wear in usage, but then the even tan colour it strikes me as one that has been cleaned and re-toned...? (I have recently noticed this in a number of pennies I had stashed away as AU but now had to downgrade.)

I'd like to see an image in daylight before deciding on a chem clean or not.

It's certainly had contact with something, whether deliberate or accidental it's impssible to say.

(I am now better at fence-sitting, +1)

Thanks for the above comments ,i am suprised more people havent given an opinion :).As i have mentioned before i can learn more from a coin that i dont think is right rather than one that is.