British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

have saved up £200 to spend on coins, %

hit me with some ideas, am thinking of buying bullion with it, half sov and some silver britannias, royal mint bullion have some discounts up to 25% on the gold britannias and 15% on sovs, 

If you are buying bullion for the sake of bullion, the Royal Mint is the last place to start. Even with their discounts their prices are way over bullion value, so it will be years before you even break even. You would do better through any of the numerous bullion sellers online where you pay close to the current gold or silver value for the coin.

Even if you are getting bullion but also like the coins, you would do better through dealers and coin fairs, where you can get very decent sovereigns etc from previous years at not much over bullion value. (I was shown 20 Sovereigns a few days ago in a range of dates back to Victoria and all VF or better, blanket price £250 each.)

Personally I would forget gambling on the commodity market (which is all that bullion buying really is) and spend some time at a coin fair buying coins you really like and have a bit of history!

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, Paddy said:

If you are buying bullion for the sake of bullion, the Royal Mint is the last place to start. Even with their discounts their prices are way over bullion value, so it will be years before you even break even. You would do better through any of the numerous bullion sellers online where you pay close to the current gold or silver value for the coin.

Even if you are getting bullion but also like the coins, you would do better through dealers and coin fairs, where you can get very decent sovereigns etc from previous years at not much over bullion value. (I was shown 20 Sovereigns a few days ago in a range of dates back to Victoria and all VF or better, blanket price £250 each.)

Personally I would forget gambling on the commodity market (which is all that bullion buying really is) and spend some time at a coin fair buying coins you really like and have a bit of history!

to be honest i might save my money and wait, its obviously burning a hole in my pocket and if i dont have anything in mind then i should wait,    

• Like 3

54 minutes ago, craigy said:

to be honest i might save my money and wait, its obviously burning a hole in my pocket and if i dont have anything in mind then i should wait, 

I have the opposite problem....two coins I want and only the money for one. Auction is tomorrow and I still haven't decided!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, craigy said:

Wise decision. I've bought one £100 coin since New year. Managed to save just under a grand up in the meantime and i am being picky about any future purchases going forward now. 

I have both issues, I have not enough cash and want too many coins.

After some sage advice from our own @UPINSMOKE I'm only buying what is really worth buying inside my budget, so the money I do have is growing, and with it, the option of better is becoming far more realistic.

No point in buying things only to wish you'd done it better in the first place! (and not having the hassle of re-sale and fees taking what meagre gains you did make away again)

Happy buying, Craig!

• Like 2

With £200 you should be able to buy a quality Vic half Sov and an nice piece of early 20C silver.You will have not only have bullion but numismatic coins.

If you see a coin which could be upgraded from your wish list.....don't buy it.

Edited by Peter

5 hours ago, Unwilling Numismatist said:

I have both issues, I have not enough cash and want too many coins.

After some sage advice from our own @UPINSMOKE I'm only buying what is really worth buying inside my budget, so the money I do have is growing, and with it, the option of better is becoming far more realistic.

No point in buying things only to wish you'd done it better in the first place! (and not having the hassle of re-sale and fees taking what meagre gains you did make away again)

Happy buying, Craig!

I have only given good advice on buying the best you can afford. This is the wisdom that has been given to me from many ot the forum members when I first started to collect.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, UPINSMOKE said:

I have only given good advice on buying the best you can afford. This is the wisdom that has been given to me from many ot the forum members when I first started to collect.

If only I'd followed that advice. I've picked up some real horrors in my early days of collecting. But in some areas of collecting it doesn't matter i suppose. Jp mass wasn't fussy about his short cross coins. I expect eventually I'll sell them when the time comes , somebody will buy them like i did. Whether i profit or break evens another matter. 

Ok people I still haven't decided so I'm asking the forum! I have the money for just one of the following which would you choose:

1) A Pidcocks 1801 farthing token in choice EF or

2) A 1868 pattern halfpenny in CuNi almost BU

Rather different collecting fields I agree but both areas appeal to me. I'm thinking I'll go for the token solely because I feel the halfpenny will go beyond my reach and I'll end up with neither. Any thoughts???

2 minutes ago, will1976 said:

Ok people I still haven't decided so I'm asking the forum! I have the money for just one of the following which would you choose:

Rather different collecting fields I agree but both areas appeal to me. I'm thinking I'll go for the token solely because I feel the halfpenny will go beyond my reach and I'll end up with neither. Any thoughts???

Set your maximum your prepared to go to....bid on the first if you get it job done , if not got another chance :D

If you dont get any ....go and get drunk instead :)

Edited by PWA 1967
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, PWA 1967 said:

Set your maximum your prepared to go to....bid on the first if you get it job done , if not got another chance :D

Usually that's what I'd do but this is a postal/Email auction so it's all or nothing! That's the problem

I sold a rather lovely Pidcock farthing on Ebay a couple of months ago - I hope it's not my one going round! Mine was the Elephant and parrot farthing...

8 minutes ago, will1976 said:

Usually that's what I'd do but this is a postal/Email auction so it's all or nothing! That's the problem

You could ... toss a coin? :ph34r:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Paddy said:

I sold a rather lovely Pidcock farthing on Ebay a couple of months ago - I hope it's not my one going round! Mine was the Elephant and parrot farthing...

No this is a lion/beaver D&h 1069

8 hours ago, will1976 said:

I have the opposite problem....two coins I want and only the money for one. Auction is tomorrow and I still haven't decided!

This happens to me all the time :( nothing good for the collection for ages ... then all at once two or three great coins in the same auction!  It's such a pity when you have to choose just one to chase!

2 minutes ago, Descartes said:

This happens to me all the time :( nothing good for the collection for ages ... then all at once two or three great coins in the same auction!  It's such a pity when you have to choose just one to chase!

I quite agree, It's frustrating and I think the only way forward is to go rob a bank :ph34r: That way I'll have all the coins I ever need!!

• Like 1

That is a problem with a world wide auction audience.Tom,Dick,Harry and Harry's mate are after it.This is where a coin fair appeals when you can delve into trays.

Hold the tray otherwise some b**tard dealer will take a dip.Happened to me at the Midland as I was stooping over a tray of new pieces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, will1976 said:

Is the 1868 the same design as a normal bronze ha'penny? If so, I'd go for the token every time. But it's your interest that counts in the end.

It depends on how much you are thinking of spending. I didn't realise the token market was that buoyant. D&H only gives it as scarce. Am I missing something, such as D&H diverging from reality?

18 minutes ago, Peckris said:

Is the 1868 the same design as a normal bronze ha'penny? If so, I'd go for the token every time. But it's your interest that counts in the end.

Yes same design just CuNi instead of bronze

1 minute ago, Rob said:

It depends on how much you are thinking of spending. I didn't realise the token market was that buoyant. D&H only gives it as scarce. Am I missing something, such as D&H diverging from reality?

No Rob your not missing anything apart from I'm on a very limited budget!

What is the Cu-Ni halfpenny expected to make and what does almost BU mean in reality? I paid £350+ over 10 years ago for my Cu-Ni 1868 proof and sold it for between 450 and 500 in 2013, and that was with a mark in the reverse field, so far from perfect. If it helps to price the one you are looking at, here's the coin in question. Apologies for a scan.

Personally, if the proof is seriously impaired, I would go for the token and save up for a proof later on.

1868 Cu-Ni halfpenny.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1868-Young-Head-Victoria-1868-Half-Penny-silver-looking/173115181165?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649           Just sold on ebay ,obviously nowhere near the quality of the one above .I nearly took a punt on it ,but wasn,t sure of its value or whether it was a cuni proof (impaired) 

44 minutes ago, Rob said:

What is the Cu-Ni halfpenny expected to make and what does almost BU mean in reality? I paid £350+ over 10 years ago for my Cu-Ni 1868 proof and sold it for between 450 and 500 in 2013, and that was with a mark in the reverse field, so far from perfect. If it helps to price the one you are looking at, here's the coin in question. Apologies for a scan.

Personally, if the proof is seriously impaired, I would go for the token and save up for a proof later on.

1868 Cu-Ni halfpenny.jpg

On, yet another, inspection there are a couple of faint scratches in the field of the obverse and some wear on a few of the high points so realistically it's an EF not AUNC. The price is estimated at £80-£120 which I think is grossly under estimated and I think I've been looking at it with blinkers on because of the estimate as I know there is better out there. Thank you Rob for making me see sense! The token it is, I shall add to the money I don't spend and look for one in a few months time