British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Gaz T

Todays Groat find

Hi Guys,

Had five hours metal detecting today in a freezing cold blizzard but rewarded with this Henry VIII Groat.

Shame about the scratches but still a nice find.

I think its spink 2337E rose mint mark, please put me right if I'm wrong.

Its 24 mm across and 2.7 g is the coin slightly heavy or is it normal.

thanks for any help. 

Henry VIII Groat ob 001 (2).jpg

Henry VIII Groat rev 001 (2).jpg

Edited by Gaz T
  • Like 5

Nice coin Gaz, I was out detecting yesterday in the rain, no blizzards down here in Sussex. I managed three hammereds . Been going through a bit of a lean patch as regards decent finds so was pleased with yesterday’s finds. An Edward I penny,a short cross, think it’s Richard (osber  on Winc),and a cut half short cross in very poor condition.

• Like 3

Thanks Richard.

Three hammered in a day is good going, Its strange how you can go months without finding then a few in one day.

Well done with your finds.

• Like 1

Man i’ve just got to join a club and touch base with experienced detectorists! I bought an xterra a couple of years ago and really struggled with its operation/set up and eventually gave up and sold it! Time to rethink that me thinks! :) 

Coinery you must get one again, there are plenty of clubs around and most people in them will go out of there way to help you with setting up your machine. Its a fab hobby if you like peace and quiet, wildlife and finding coins ;) .... its great!!

Totally agree Gaz T , been doing for over twenty years now and plan to do it for another twenty, but don’t think my knees will last that long lol.

You guys have sold me all over again, I’m on it! 👍

PS and hey it’s absolutely 100% Stuart Stu Stupot Stupid or variants thereof! :) 

• Like 1

Stu the new Garrett detectors are a real good buy, good depth and easy to use, I have always had Garrett detectors. But had a change last year to the Xp Deus, they are really good but a little complicated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gaz T said:

Stu the new Garrett detectors are a real good buy, good depth and easy to use, I have always had Garrett detectors. But had a change last year to the Xp Deus, they are really good but a little complicated.

I’ll take a look...many thanks, Gaz! 👍 :) 

49 minutes ago, Coinery said:

I’ll take a look...many thanks, Gaz! 👍 :) 

Stu

I've got a Garrett 250 and can vouch for it.The Garrett probe is also the best on the market.

I have the Garrett 400i as my first detector and it is really easy to use. No major finds yet just hand forged nails and junk so far.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Peter said:

Stu

I've got a Garrett 250 and can vouch for it.The Garrett probe is also the best on the market.

Thanks, Peter, it’s certainly stacking up the votes. A recommendation is half the work done! 😊

35 minutes ago, Nonmortuus said:

I have the Garrett 400i as my first detector and it is really easy to use. No major finds yet just hand forged nails and junk so far.

You must be saving yourself for the gold dance, Non? :D

If only!! I have 2 small permissions in place, 2 acres and 7 acres, it's just finding the time to go there for a few hours once in a while.

• Like 1

very nice, still waiting for one 

On 23/01/2018 at 0:25 AM, Peter said:

The Garrett probe is also the best on the market.

I heartily recommend the probe!

I have an E-Trac myself.