British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Plantagenet Coins

15 hours ago, Descartes said:

Nice coin Stu! Good luck with that one!

Here's a lovely Edward I penny I bought today (Canterbury mint). I'm thinking it's a 2a or 2b, but it's a bonus as I wanted a nice Canterbury! :) 

ED12ab.jpg

What’s the reverse like? I’m guessing you paid less than the near-£500 the CNG coin went for? :)

Edited by Coinery
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Coinery said:

What’s the reverse like? I’m guessing you paid less than the near-£500 the CNG coin went for? :)

Hi Stu, yes, I definitely paid a little under the 500 quid mark for the coin... I managed to snap it up for a reasonable 95, so not too bad. I'm sure people must get carried away on auction! I still can't believe how much that 2b went for!

That lovely Edward I Davisson's penny you have your eye on - I'm sure it's a 3g you know!

Here's the reverse of my new 2b

Ed12bR.jpg

Great coin of your’s and, yes, I think a definite 3g. Happy collecting, and long may our purchases be cheap! 🤫😁👍

• Like 1

On 28/02/2018 at 8:24 PM, Coinery said:

65EF0EAC-F408-4593-A92C-FEB7E475BE46.jpeg

A $425 coin before import taxes and delivery - not mine, sadly.

Been digging around to see what info. I can add to my Class 5a3 Henry. What has turned out to be interesting is it has the less common reverse for this class, being very open and having the larger 14 pellet per quarter inner circle.

I managed to find a reverse die match on Rob Page’s site www.henry3.com which confirms a pellet on the last ligated N for me, as well as providing him with some additional information on the second quarter, which his illustrated example doesn’t have.

sharing the love! :D

Oh, and would anyone be happy to post up an image of the H3 page in spink (S1367a) - as up to date a copy as poss? They keep updating the numbers, and my old thing (2013) only has S1367 (no S1367a).

ECF78F7D-AD7E-4CC1-8025-808CB45740C1.jpeg

AF8D1A98-0199-4E9F-9471-DE8C70763766.jpeg

Edited by Coinery
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Coinery said:

Been digging around to see what info. I can add to my Class 5a3 Henry. What has turned out to be interesting is it has the less common reverse for this class, being very open and having the larger 14 pellet per quarter inner circle.

I managed to find a reverse die match on Rob Page’s site www.henry3.com which confirms a pellet on the last ligated N for me, as well as providing him with some additional information on the second quarter, which his illustrated example doesn’t have.

sharing the love! :D

Oh, and would anyone be happy to post up an image of the H3 page in spink (S1367a) - as up to date a copy as poss? They keep updating the numbers, and my old thing (2013) only has S1367 (no S1367a).

ECF78F7D-AD7E-4CC1-8025-808CB45740C1.jpeg

AF8D1A98-0199-4E9F-9471-DE8C70763766.jpeg

Hi Stu,

Here's the info for S.1367a from the newest Spink. The actual plate coin is a bit crappy... yours is a lot better actually!

IMG_4215.JPG

IMG_4217.JPG

4 hours ago, Coinery said:

A $425 coin before import taxes and delivery - not mine, sadly.

Has the market gone completely balmy! In my opinion it's not even the most attractive coin... and the marks on the face and crown annoy me for some reason - I wouldn't have paid $425 for this particular coin.

Edited by Descartes
typo

Many thanks for the pics @Descartes much appreciated! :)

I was discussing the Henry 5a3 with Rob Page today, and he was also telling me it has the scarcer reverse (a possible crossover from class 4, making it potentially an early class 5) and has no example recorded in the Brussels hoard. He’s just put it up on his site which is rather nice! http://www.henry3.com/london---5a3.html

He was also telling me that there’s a book to come before the year’s out, a shared project with a friend of his, so that’ll be on my radar.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Coinery said:

I was discussing the Henry 5a3 with Rob Page today, and he was also telling me it has the scarcer reverse (a possible crossover from class 4, making it potentially an early class 5) and has no example recorded in the Brussels hoard. He’s just put it up on his site which is rather nice! http://www.henry3.com/london---5a3.html

He was also telling me that there’s a book to come before the year’s out, a shared project with a friend of his, so that’ll be on my radar.

I would definitely be interested in buying the book when it comes out too! :) 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Coinery said:

For some reason it only posted half of my message...

Congrats on your coin making it to the page - it deserves it - it's a gem! :D 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Great news Stu. Well done. Keep us posted on the book , i am always on the lookout for quality books about Plantagenet coinage. 

14 minutes ago, Ukstu said:

Keep us posted on the book , i am always on the lookout for quality books about Plantagenet coinage. 

Absolutely, Stu, will do! If his website is anything to go by, he’ll be selling a lot of copies, and very likely become the new name by which we and various auction houses will categorise our/their coins! Looking forward to it! :) 

• Like 1

So a teeny bit of digging around identifies my Henry III Class 2b2 coin as having one of the commonest reverse types identified by Churchill and Thomas in the Brussels Hoard (CT rev L124), making $200 (or £166 with post and taxes) probably about £40 the wrong side of comfortable, really, but hey ho I did get my rarer reverse 5a3 for about £30 under, so perfectly happy overall.

Obverse has 'X' type-2 and ligated NR and ER. 

Henry 2b2.jpg

43 minutes ago, Coinery said:

BBC 4 tonight 22:00 1/3 The Plantagenets 

No doubt Richard will get the usual bad press.

• Like 1

So the Davisson 3g Bristol was a tad too expensive, so I bought a second best option - egg-waisted S 3g with the wide face bust! It feels like it could be slightly less common as the other ‘pointed chin’ bust pops up quite frequently - can’t 100% state that as a fact though!

An OK coin I think...for now! :) 

34EDD5D8-F975-4F2F-971B-CB1675DF7D74.jpeg

768111BF-9197-44B5-B82A-3139523F4D93.jpeg

Edited by Coinery
  • Like 2

On 4/14/2018 at 10:07 PM, Coinery said:

So the Davisson 3g Bristol was a tad too expensive, so I bought a second best option - egg-waisted S 3g with the wide face bust! It feels like it could be slightly less common as the other ‘pointed chin’ bust pops up quite frequently - can’t 100% state that as a fact though!

An OK coin I think...for now! :) 

34EDD5D8-F975-4F2F-971B-CB1675DF7D74.jpeg

768111BF-9197-44B5-B82A-3139523F4D93.jpeg

Hi Stu! What a great coin. I love the iridescence and toning, and the reverse is superb! 

Not a single nice Plantagenet coin for sale anywhere on Numisbids or any dealer websites at the moment - except a couple on the next Spink USA auction! Where are they all hiding??? hahaha

12 hours ago, Descartes said:

Not a single nice Plantagenet coin for sale anywhere on Numisbids or any dealer websites at the moment - except a couple on the next Spink USA auction! Where are they all hiding??? hahaha

I know what you mean, Des, especially the Edwards! The problem with single coin lots from the states is the postage and parcel force handling fee which is fixed, plus of course the US coins seem to be selling far and away above normal prices. The fees are the reason I bought an extra fixed price coin from the Davissons’ list to go with my auction lot, just to halve the extra costs between them. I’m thinking I might have to look at a buy-one-to-sell strategy with my US purchases. Interestingly the regular grade material seems sensible, so an occasional snipe is possible to offset the charges on your collection purchases...he says with fingers crossed🤞 

• Like 1