British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Plantagenet Coins

What a stunning coin! I was so disappointed to see this, one of the cheaper Ed I varieties, climb to nearly £400 gbp already...and the party may not be over  yet?

Really, what should you expect to pay for a non-rare top end ed? I mean, Canterbury isn’t rare either, so that shouldn’t account for any excessive premium, surely? It seems to me that a couple hundred quid or so will buy you one of the high-end coins, so what’s going on here? Maybe a collection nearing completion perhaps??

Worth an eye-candy share though! :)

985E567C-BEA1-44C2-B3E4-D97C8F91A064.jpeg

One of those bidders is me Stu. It's getting a bit crazy now so I doubt I'll go any higher. Like you said, not particularly rare - just a great coin.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Descartes said:

One of those bidders is me Stu. It's getting a bit crazy now so I doubt I'll go any higher. Like you said, not particularly rare - just a great coin.

I placed a couple early on, just to keep it live in my emails! Nearly £400 with juice and tax now, I would sure love to have it, but too strong for me now! Good luck if you have top bid, a spectacular coin. 👍

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Coinery said:

I placed a couple early on, just to keep it live in my emails! Nearly £400 with juice and tax now, I would sure love to have it, but too strong for me now! Good luck if you have top bid, a spectacular coin. 👍

Thanks, but alas I am no longer highest bidder either. Like you said it might be somebody with a purpose now. They're not so hard to find in top grade so perhaps somebody is keen to finish a collection or has money to burn! 

• Like 1

£400+?! Some flat spots and edge nibbles. Wow.

Common coin, remember over 145,000 Edward pennies have been found in hoards alone never mind the thousands found every year by detectorists. This, I believe is a south-sea bubble style price rocket and there are going to be a lot of disappointed people about when the price collapses. Fortunately the prices in dealers trays and in London Auctions are only slightly inflated. Attached is photo of 3 pennies - class 2 and 3a&b Edward pennies  The class 2 and 3 b acquired at York yesterday for £30 and £70 The high price for the 3b is that it is a unique variety of London 3b with the drapery entered twice below the bust. I also include a similar coin of 3a with double drapery acquired from Spinks for £50 on my last trip to London similarly unique. Will post these in the unpublished section later

edw i rev.jpg

edw i obv.jpg

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, davetmoneyer said:

Common coin, remember over 145,000 Edward pennies have been found in hoards alone never mind the thousands found every year by detectorists. This, I believe is a south-sea bubble style price rocket and there are going to be a lot of disappointed people about when the price collapses. Fortunately the prices in dealers trays and in London Auctions are only slightly inflated. Attached is photo of 3 pennies - class 2 and 3a&b Edward pennies  The class 2 and 3 b acquired at York yesterday for £30 and £70 The high price for the 3b is that it is a unique variety of London 3b with the drapery entered twice below the bust. I also include a similar coin of 3a with double drapery acquired from Spinks for £50 on my last trip to London similarly unique. Will post these in the unpublished section later

edw i rev.jpg

edw i obv.jpg

Great find, Dave! I've been looking for a nice 3a for ages! it's appeared quite hard to find one with a good strike!

There are no doubt bargains to be had, Dave, and i’m very much into that, and congrats on your weedling them out! 😊

I think the stand out quality of the OP coin is its rarity on account of grade and eye-appeal, which is clearly exceptional, and clearly going to be the difference when/if the price collapses - I would expect/hope the values of top class coins to hang in there a little better??? I think we are seeing a migration towards quality over micro-varieties in recent years, especially in the milled markets, so hopefully that’ll save the wise collector from any catastrophic fall-outs??

All that being said, I was surprised to see this one breach the £200 mark, which is the safe place I would’ve happily gone with it. Hey ho!

I have managed to buy equal grade pennies to the OP coin for just over £100, so swings and roundabouts I guess. We all now know where we’re selling our top grade duplicates, though, and it ain’t eBay, where i’ve just recently bumped into my first idiot in around 2000 sales at 100% - much safer buying than selling nowadays!

I also hope that eye appeal/top grade coins will retain their 'value' even if there is a bursting of the price bubble. I know that denominations and type collecting have their phases like everything else, but it would be really disappointing if the higher grade coins did indeed plummet considerably in the future. I certainly don't by coins for investment purposes, but I do often bid higher than I should if I really like something, or if it's to fill a gap in the collection!

On 20/01/2018 at 9:37 AM, Coinery said:

What a stunning coin! I was so disappointed to see this, one of the cheaper Ed I varieties, climb to nearly £400 gbp already...and the party may not be over  yet?

Really, what should you expect to pay for a non-rare top end ed? I mean, Canterbury isn’t rare either, so that shouldn’t account for any excessive premium, surely? It seems to me that a couple hundred quid or so will buy you one of the high-end coins, so what’s going on here? Maybe a collection nearing completion perhaps??

Worth an eye-candy share though! :)

985E567C-BEA1-44C2-B3E4-D97C8F91A064.jpeg

If it’s a UK buyer, it’ll cost just a whisker under £500 delivered for this common variety! Things are definitely changing for the best Plantagenet material. I’ve only been an observer these past 2 years, but the top end pieces are definitely outperforming book.

Equally, there are a lot of Lizzies that I wish I hadn’t sold a couple of years ago! Phenomenal rise in the better grades!

What a shoddy batch of Edward pennies at London Coins, some even making single lots!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coinery said:

What a shoddy batch of Edward pennies at London Coins, some even making single lots!

Very shoddy indeed, Stu!

2 hours ago, Descartes said:

Very shoddy indeed, Stu!

Quite amazing!

Hey, D, I’m going to leave that H2 Tealby alone for now, I’m going to give that pretty John a go instead! 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Coinery said:

Quite amazing!

Hey, D, I’m going to leave that H2 Tealby alone for now, I’m going to give that pretty John a go instead! 

Hey Stu, I hope you win the King John penny! It's a beauty :) I'm holding fire with any large purchases until next month (March 27th) as I've just stumbled upon the  'The Williams Collection of Anglo-Saxon, Viking and Norman Coins - Part I' (due to be sold by Spink). I want to see if there are any nice 'Wilton mint' coins up for grabs ... I'd be gutted if I over spent now, and then saw some superb pennies pass me by! 

2 hours ago, Descartes said:

Hey Stu, I hope you win the King John penny! It's a beauty :) I'm holding fire with any large purchases until next month (March 27th) as I've just stumbled upon the  'The Williams Collection of Anglo-Saxon, Viking and Norman Coins - Part I' (due to be sold by Spink). I want to see if there are any nice 'Wilton mint' coins up for grabs ... I'd be gutted if I over spent now, and then saw some superb pennies pass me by! 

Good luck with the Wiltons! Will let you know re the John, I use the same user name, so you’ll probably know anyway. :D

• Like 1

On 2/18/2018 at 6:14 PM, Coinery said:

Aw, looked like a half decent coin until I spotted the crack in the flan! 😩

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hammered-King-John-Silver-Penny-/391980732159

Gosh! I wouldn't have noticed unless you'd pointed that out. Looks like old King John has lost a few fingers with that flan crack!

• Like 1

Very pleased to add this John 5C to the folder. :)

The Douglas Bayern collection, whoever he happens to be?

think I’ll add it to penny acquisition and latest acquisition too! I’m that pleased! 

A045DBE2-A637-40A8-9BA7-0D92EE3D80BE.jpeg

Edited by Coinery
  • Like 4

Excellent result, Stu ... I'm so glad you managed to bag that lovely penny :) 

• Like 1

My latest target, and a month to organise the funds...however, is it a 3d as described? I’m wondering whether it might actually be 3g?

unusual in that it had wedge contractions.

Hopefully this will cover off my Bristol mint. I wonder whether it’ll do that silly $525 dollar thing? Hopefully not, though I’m up for it, a lovely coin!

65EF0EAC-F408-4593-A92C-FEB7E475BE46.jpeg

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Coinery said:

My latest target, and a month to organise the funds...however, is it a 3d as described? I’m wondering whether it might actually be 3g?

unusual in that it had wedge contractions.

Hopefully this will cover off my Bristol mint. I wonder whether it’ll do that silly $525 dollar thing? Hopefully not, though I’m up for it, a lovely coin!

65EF0EAC-F408-4593-A92C-FEB7E475BE46.jpeg

Nice coin Stu! Good luck with that one!

Here's a lovely Edward I penny I bought today (Canterbury mint). I'm thinking it's a 2a or 2b, but it's a bonus as I wanted a nice Canterbury! :) 

ED12ab.jpg

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Descartes said:

Nice coin Stu! Good luck with that one!

Here's a lovely Edward I penny I bought today (Canterbury mint). I'm thinking it's a 2a or 2b, but it's a bonus as I wanted a nice Canterbury! :) 

ED12ab.jpg

Nice, a 2b as per the first coin in this thread! 👍

• Like 1

Hi Bristol coin is class 3g, note S and crown, ( any penny with single punched S has to be class 3F onwards

• Like 2

1 hour ago, davetmoneyer said:

Hi Bristol coin is class 3g, note S and crown, ( any penny with single punched S has to be class 3F onwards

Cheers, Dave,

I must dig out your Class 7 article at some point! :)