British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Paddy

Richard I Short Cross Penny confirmation

Can someone please help me nail this one down? In Spink book this seems to match S1347 best, which makes it Richard I type 3, but the moneyer on the reverse I can read ...ILLELM ON N... which would seem to be Willelm in Northampton or Norwich - but that does not fit with a type 3 coin. 

Have I got it all wrong? :-)

Richard query 1 reduced.JPG

Richard query 2 reduced.JPG

Looks like a class 4a. Willelm on Noi probably. Either Northampton or Norwich mint. 

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Ukstu said:

Looks like a class 4a. Willelm on Noi probably. Either Northampton or Norwich mint. 

Thanks for that and you are probably right. My concern was that the images for the type 4 obverse do not fit very well with this coin - particularly that the hand on the sceptre on my coin is much higher up. Is this discrepancy normal?

Thanks again

I based my classification on other features like the curls. Class 3 coins have pellets in the curls. This coin does not appear to have any pellets in the curls. Also the style of the V and S is characteristic of class 4a coins. Also the mint and moneyer confirms it as a 4a coin as that moneyer is only active at that mint from class 4a -4b. 

There is a Willelm on Nico active at Lincoln under Henry II in class 1b-1c but your coin does not have the characteristics of a coin of that class so it can be ruled out. 

Regards 

Stuart. 

• Like 1

Thanks Stuart, that clinches it. Consider this query closed - only the "Crusader" coin to resolve now!

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Your Welcome. Glad to of helped. 

Regards 

Stuart.