British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
1949threepence

The 1861 Freeman 19 penny

Unlike some coins originally touted as having >5 examples, this coin never seems to have become any more common, by fresh specimens being discovered. In the October 1984 Freeman auction booklet, the Freeman 19, which was in a lot (No 14), with an F18 and an F20, incredibly, remained unsold at the auction. Although perhaps not incredible at that time.  

Any rate, the one on offer on that occasion was described as "very worn but design discernible, one of two known specimens". Richard has a photo of one on his rarest pennies website, described as "held in a private collection (thought to be unique)" - although if the Freeman catalogue is to be believed, there is at least one more somewhere.

Or has anybody come across others? Just curious as to why no further specimens of an F19 have ever come to light in all these years.  

Edited by 1949threepence
  • Like 1

Hi Mike . It was Bernie who supplied the photo of the F17 to Richard, so maybe he would know more about this penny.    Terry

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, terrysoldpennies said:

Hi Mike . It was Bernie who supplied the photo of the F17 to Richard, so maybe he would know more about this penny.    Terry

Thanks Terry.

13 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Is the one that didn't sell in the Michael Freeman collection the one at https://rarestpennies.wordpress.com/1861-f19/?

I don't know.

As Terry indicates, maybe Bernie can cast more light on the situation.  

i may be wrong but sure i heard one was that low grade it was never proven and written off .

5 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

i may be wrong but sure i heard one was that low grade it was never proven and written off .

Would be interesting to know. If what you say is the case, Pete, it must be in pretty bad shape.The original F27 is not much more than a washer, but stands verified as 5 + F. 

39 minutes ago, 1949threepence said:

Would be interesting to know. If what you say is the case, Pete, it must be in pretty bad shape.The original F27 is not much more than a washer, but stands verified as 5 + F. 

Maybe it was proven as not one :D

Hope someone can tell you a bit more :)

I acquired one of the very worn ex-Freeman examples of F-19 in a Croydon Coin auction lot with some other pennies many years ago for a few pounds. The late Laurie Bamford told me that he had obtained this F-19 (?) with other worn pennies from Freeman’s survey collection. He did not believe it was F-19, and I agree… while it is clearly Obverse 2 the reverse appears to be D not F in my opinion. This seems to be confirmed by the apparent position of the final date numeral (only partly visible) that matches that of one of the F-18 (2+D) pennies in my reference collection. I should still have this coin somewhere along with the coin flip with  F-19 (?) written on it by Laurie, but I’m not sure where.

Hope this helps…

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

48 minutes ago, InforaPenny said:

I acquired one of the very worn ex-Freeman examples of F-19 in a Croydon Coin auction lot with some other pennies many years ago for a few pounds. The late Laurie Bamford told me that he had obtained this F-19 (?) with other worn pennies from Freeman’s survey collection. He did not believe it was F-19, and I agree… while it is clearly Obverse 2 the reverse appears to be D not F in my opinion. This seems to be confirmed by the apparent position of the final date numeral (only partly visible) that matches that of one of the F-18 (2+D) pennies in my reference collection. I should still have this coin somewhere along with the coin flip with  F-19 (?) written on it by Laurie, but I’m not sure where.

Hope this helps…

Best Regards,

InforaPenny

Thanks.That pretty much echoes what Pete said earlier. Maybe there is just the one specimen......

14 hours ago, InforaPenny said:

I acquired one of the very worn ex-Freeman examples of F-19 in a Croydon Coin auction lot with some other pennies many years ago for a few pounds. The late Laurie Bamford told me that he had obtained this F-19 (?) with other worn pennies from Freeman’s survey collection. He did not believe it was F-19, and I agree… while it is clearly Obverse 2 the reverse appears to be D not F in my opinion.

Ah, so Freeman misclassified one? I guess the Freeman auction catalogue isn't well-enough illustrated to tell?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Ah, so Freeman misclassified one? I guess the Freeman auction catalogue isn't well-enough illustrated to tell?

It's not. That specific lot isn't pictured.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PWA 1967 said:

You can always start looking for one Mike ;)

I'm always looking, Pete :ph34r:

• Like 1