British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Oh man

Is this coin gradable/worth grading

Hi all,

So I'm fairly new to coin collecting (since about Summer 2017) and so I have yet to have a coin graded, however I do have a coin I would like to have graded, but (as you know) I'm new, and quite anxious as to how I go about having it done (which company to use, what I should expect, what sort of coins are acceptable, et cetera).

The coin in question is a George & the Dragon 1884 S Sovereign. There are no glaring issues with the coin. I think it's about EF, but take that with a pinch of salt, as I'm still pretty inept with grading. (I can't post a picture of the coin as I haven't figured out how. If someone can inform me on how then I would gladly provide some pictures).

Cheers, Ronnie.

I have been collecting for many,many years and never had a coin graded.

The value of your sovereign is £260 in VF and £300 in EF so grading seems a waste.You won't recover the cost of grading.Post a couple of decent pictures and the forum can grade it for you. Less than VF it will be BV.

• Like 1

It is rarely a good idea for a beginner to have a coin slabbed and graded. The first few coins that a beginner get are usually not of high enough grades or valuable enough to warrant paying the grading fee. I would not even consider sending an EF 1884 S sovereign to be graded as the expense will probably be about 15 or 20% of what the coin is worth. And if it turns out to be VF, the value is virtually scrap gold and you have totally wasted your fee. 

I can remember several beginners visiting this forum in the past, have paid for their coins to be graded and have simply wasted their money. One graded a fake dug out of his garden thinking it was valuable. Another tried to grade an undated 20p which was probably worth less than £50. One graded a florin which turned out to be obviously cleaned with a value not much more than the grading expenses. 

The Beginners' Forum has a 'sticky' post explaining how to upload pictures to the site.

The simplest way to post a picture is to place it on your desktop and then in the bottom left of the area you write to post a comment you will see a paper clip with click to choose file. You should then be able to do exactly that. It needs to be less than 0.49mb in size so if it will not load then resize it smaller and have another go. 

You may need to close the post and reopen it if you are having a second go at reloading it.

Try that first if it doesn't work let us know.

Thank you all for your advise. It's a good thing I came here before handling it myself!

Cheers, Ronnie.

3 hours ago, Oh man said:

It does work - eventually - but simply proves why Photobucket is such a poor option for photos here. Not only did it take its own sweet time to display the picture, there were adverts for itself and others all over the place, and worst of all, I was able to use the navigation arrows to see all your other photos (after a few nice shots of food, I didn't look any further, honest :lol: ). Better to learn how to upload here, and the main thing is to find an easy way to reduce the size of pictures to 500k or less (and once you've done it once, it will be a doddle ever after).

2 hours ago, Peckris said:

It does work - eventually - but simply proves why Photobucket is such a poor option for photos here. Not only did it take its own sweet time to display the picture, there were adverts for itself and others all over the place, and worst of all, I was able to use the navigation arrows to see all your other photos (after a few nice shots of food, I didn't look any further, honest :lol: ). Better to learn how to upload here, and the main thing is to find an easy way to reduce the size of pictures to 500k or less (and once you've done it once, it will be a doddle ever after).

I'll bear this in mind for the future.

Cheers, Ronnie.

I would also like to point out that I only collect for fun, and likewise, I would only get the coin graded for fun.

As for grading, I'd go for NEF.