British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Descartes

Help deciphering a mint - Tealby Penny

Chaps,

I've been looking for a decent Henry II Tealby type penny (Class A) for a while now. There's a nice one coming up on auction soon, but it doesn't give a definite mint town, just 'Cant?'. Can any of you experts confirm or deny this for me? I'd want to be certain of the mint location before I place a bid. For some reason it would aggravate me having a coin in my collection I couldn't correctly identify.

Thanks,
Descartes

Henry II Tealby Type A.jpg

Canterbury. Allen die pair 97. 

I can see someone being disappointed.

On 1/15/2018 at 6:09 PM, Rob said:

Canterbury. Allen die pair 97. 

I can see someone being disappointed.

Hi Rob, thanks for confirming the attributions. 'Disappointed'? Why, is this not a very good specimen?

7 minutes ago, Descartes said:

Hi Rob, thanks for confirming the attributions. 'Disappointed'? Why, is this not a very good specimen?

You're the second person to ask what the mint is. ;)

• Like 2

@Descartes I absolutely love this coin, but I also really love the John in the same sale! I picked the govenor’s brains a while back about the Tealby, and i’m sure he won’t mind me sharing with you the Allen die pics, and info. etc. that he mailed me! 

I can only buy one or the other (John/H2) in light of my recent gold, though i’m resigned to moving that on, so your call, no point in us chasing each other up the tree! :)

In all reality I can only go $700 on that lot, so if you fancy it more than that I’ll bid on the John instead and still be a very happy man!

PM me your email If you want to touch base! :)

• Like 1

That's very kind of you, but if the Tealby is on your radar too, then I will avoid bidding. I like the coin but I'm most keen on the William I two star type. I think there will be a few bids on that coin as it's so nice... I'm generally lucky on the Davisson auctions, but like you said, there's no point chasing each other up the tree. And as I can only really afford one of the coins, I'd better focus my energy on the Norman Conqueror. It would be great to see the Allen die pics by the way, just out of academic interest, but consider me withdrawn from the Tealby penny :) 

11 hours ago, Rob said:

No.9

img584.jpg

Thanks Rob :) you really do know your stuff. The forum is lucky to have you around.

• Like 1

anyone shed any light on this tealby 

29745068_10155154812821020_6896292046926604697_o.jpg

29873176_10155154812826020_4319204078402375673_o.jpg

oooooo looks like I stuck lucky with the hammered gurus. What are these and are they worth much. I am sadly lacking in 99% of knowledge in hammered as shameful as it sounds :)

h1-tile.jpg

• Like 2

Both Canterbury Long cross pennies. Ones by Robert the others Nichole. Both are later ones with sceptre. Try here for more information.  They have a rough price list on there.  http://www.henry3.com

Edited by Ukstu
  • Like 2

top one is a 5g off my head and 5 c for the bottom one 

• Like 1

On 4/5/2018 at 3:10 PM, zookeeperz said:

oooooo looks like I stuck lucky with the hammered gurus. What are these and are they worth much. I am sadly lacking in 99% of knowledge in hammered as shameful as it sounds :)

h1-tile.jpg

For the class 5c penny: (F- 25 quid, VF- 65 quid); for the class 5g: (F - 25 quid, VF - 60 quid)

• Like 1

Thanks guys :D