British Coin Forum - Predecimal.com

50 Years of RotographicCoinpublications.com A Rotographic Imprint. Price guide reference book publishers since 1959. Lots of books on coins, banknotes and medals. Please visit and like Coin Publications on Facebook for offers and updates.

Coin Publications on Facebook

Rotographic    

The current range of books. Click the image above to see them on Amazon (printed and Kindle format). More info on coinpublications.com

predecimal.comPredecimal.com. One of the most popular websites on British pre-decimal coins, with hundreds of coins for sale, advice for beginners and interesting information.

Sign in to follow this  
Coinery

Acquired Ed III Quarter Nobel

Not the prettiest by a long shot, but liked the provenance and accompanying tickets!

Arthur M. Fitts III Collection. Ex Seaby Coin & Medal Bulletin 437 (October 1954), no. G1465. (includes the Seaby paper flip, and ticket in the hand of Bert Seaby [Eaglen D22A]).

Still can’t decide on whether it’s a keeper or seller, the jury is still out!

2A1FC0B3-7142-4335-8638-3291412092D9.jpeg

• Like 3

I'd go for a better one. They are relatively cheap as hammered gold goes and not rare.

17 minutes ago, Rob said:

I'd go for a better one. They are relatively cheap as hammered gold goes and not rare.

Yes a bit of gold fever I think. What’s the latest Spink 1501, I know it’s on your lap! :)

Might give the NGC route a try and move it on!

What’s your thoughts on the second offering? Getting there?

14 minutes ago, Coinery said:

Yes a bit of gold fever I think. What’s the latest Spink 1501, I know it’s on your lap! :)

Might give the NGC route a try and move it on!

What’s your thoughts on the second offering? Getting there?

£275 Fine, £700 VF.

The second is better, but still room for improvement.

32 minutes ago, Rob said:

£275 Fine, £700 VF.

The second is better, but still room for improvement.

Thanks, Rob, much appreciated.

I would personally keep it as I'd love to have a medieval Plantagenet gold coin in collection :P ... I really like Edward III coins. 

5 minutes ago, Descartes said:

I would personally keep it as I'd love to have a medieval Plantagenet gold coin in collection :P ... I really like Edward III coins. 

You could have one with a nice provenance if you like? £525 freepost ;) 

1 minute ago, Coinery said:

You could have one with a nice provenance if you like? £525 freepost ;) 

Although I would dearly love to Stu, I'd better stick to my hammered pennies - or I'll end up with another sub-branch of collecting :wacko: I must attempt to stay within my collecting budget or it will be beans on toast for the rest of the month!

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Descartes said:

Although I would dearly love to Stu, I'd better stick to my hammered pennies - or I'll end up with another sub-branch of collecting :wacko: I must attempt to stay within my collecting budget or it will be beans on toast for the rest of the month!

I'm on Beans on toast already!

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Descartes said:

Tee hee! Keep up the good work Des, a fine collection in the making! 🙌

• Like 1

On 15/01/2018 at 11:17 AM, Coinery said:

You see there are prettier, that’s the problem!

772ED73A-FD4A-4276-8003-8C62CE7364FC.jpeg

Any thoughts on the ‘corrosion/bubbles’ on the 3 o’clock arm of the reverse cross (and other localised places on the reverse)? Bad mix of the gold/poor flan? I wonder about this, as it would’ve been the most compressed of the gold, being forced into the devices?

they are clearly minute, as this is a tiny coin...any thoughts? On silver hammered it’s clearly ground corrosion, acidity/alkalinity nibbling away at the contaminants in the silver mix...same so for gold?

• Like 1

My thoughts were that it is water worn or ground corrosion. Same alloy component involved (copper) and same effect whether it is silver or gold.